• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch problems

Green Dog

As I engage the winch to just pull the vehicle along all is good-vehicle slowly being pulled. Get inside and apply a little brake pressure and the clutch lever on the winch jumps out of gear. Have lubed the shaft area where the clutch lever is connected to said shaft. Am puzzled?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 man operation. You should not engage the outside lever with the pto engaged.

and be warned, you can NOT disengage the outside lever under a load.

You are supposed to engage and disengage the winch from the operator seat with the clutch and pto only.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damit man, the disengagement mechanism is square face cut(like a love joy coupling). You cannot reliably get full engagement if the PTO is driving the winch input shaft.

If you engage it before running the PTO, do you have the problem?(pull out on the cable while pulling the lever to engage it)

If you continue to use it wrong, it will only mess up the coupling more.

colelkhunter

OK........let me say. First off, your not gonna get very far with a post like that. Second you had a legitimate question asked " was the winch fully engaged". Third...Doghead explained to YOU the proper way of using a PTO military winch. If the winch was engaged with the pto already engaged then your first answer is NO it was not fully engaged. Engage winch first. Then get in the truck and engage the PTO, then let off the clutch. THEN apply the brakes a little if you want to feel resistance. Ask a proper question and you get a proper answer. Don't act like a spoiled child who can't get him way from mommy.:deadhorse:

Heavysteven

Greendog your response to Doghead was rude and negative. I would like to remind you to treat others with respect.2cents

After reading your posts it is my conclusion you do not understand or know how to properly operate the winch. You need to engage the lever on the winch first, then go into the cab. Holding the clutch down select a drive (high low or Reverse). Let out on the clutch and the winch should operate with out slipping.:deadhorse:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merry Christmas ...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
DH you should have just told him his winch was f-ed, rebuild it. . .

also sensing a SS membership total decreasing by one :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks