• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch problems

colelkhunter

did any of you understand his last post? Does anyone have a jibbity-jive to english dictionary I could use? I used spell check on his post and it just deleted all of it and displayed ----Go back to grammar school douche bag. Huh.....Funny

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
actualy for winding up a cable with no weight on it or verry light it says in the manual to engage the winch from outside then watch it ,lining it up on the spool with a bar
That is # 2 soldiers job,

in this case the OP was dead manned to a tree and pulling the deuce

KsM715

DH must be in a good mood tonight. I had to go back and see if under his name he had a rank or if it said BANNED. I was kind of disapointed to see he's still here.

KsM715

That is # 2 soldiers job,

in this case the OP was dead manned to a tree and pulling the deuce

Exactly what I was thinking! With a free cable you could engage it and hope nothing goes wrong and you can get it disengaged before it eats your front bumper, but tied off to a tree is a very dangerous thing to try. Hope he was smart enough to shut if off from the cab and not stand out there next to the thing thinking he could disengage it when it gets right up to the chain.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
actualy for winding up a cable with no weight on it or verry light it says in the manual to engage the winch from outside then watch it ,lining it up on the spool with a bar
Anybody doing this by them selves, Is asking to get hurt, even slow, a bad cable grabs the bar, or you get the bar grabbed by a wrap, you can't REACT fast enough, everything from a flying bar, a bar getting sucked in and taking you with it, damage, ect., can happen, and it will happen FASTER then you think.

tm america

Winches only work properly when used properly.Please don't jump on the people you ask advise from when they simply point out what was being done wrong..You can't expect the winch to do something it wasn't designed to do...Consider yourself lucky that noone was hurt when improperly using the winch..noone here is out to hurt your feeling only to help you with your issues..My advise is read all the tms on your truck and winch then do a search on winching....this will ussually answer most questions you might have ...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody doing this by them selves, Is asking to get hurt, even slow, a bad cable grabs the bar, or you get the bar grabbed by a wrap, you can't REACT fast enough, everything from a flying bar, a bar getting sucked in and taking you with it, damage, ect., can happen, and it will happen FASTER then you think.
Can this been done? Yes. The main problem I see though is you can't disengage under load. When the winch loads up when it tries to suck your arm in you won't be able to disengage until it atleast pulls your arm loose from your shoulder. At that point you hope your shoulder gives way so your whole body doesn't get pulled in. :shock:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I see where this thread is going, so I'm off to bed, night all and safe winching

Can this been done? Yes. The main problem I see though is you can't disengage under load. When the winch loads up when it tries to suck your arm in you won't be able to disengage until it atleast pulls your arm loose from your shoulder. At that point you hope your shoulder gives way so your whole body doesn't get pulled in. :shock:
Check this thread out http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/58696-one-man-winch-operation.html This should answer most of your questions about 'solo winching'. And Green dog, your name suits you. People like you are going to give honest respectable MV'ers a bad name, grow the **** up. Merry Christmas all!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please me mindful of the rules.

• Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic. If someone has posted a rude comment to/about the user, the user itself is asked to ignore the remark and report the offending post for review and deletion.

Last edited:

tm america

I winch by myself ..but i take extra care when doing so....I engage the winch outside first with the engine off.. then i go inside start the truck and run the winch by using the pto and clutch..i turn the engine off and get out to check to make sure everything is winding nicely....i don't trust the winch lockout plate to save my life i don't pray that i will be able to get out the way quick enough i use it as it should be used and go the extra mile by shutting the truck off when i'm not sitting at the controls..Lets keep this friendly guys..Noone takes advise from someone with a bad attitude..And what the op is doing can get him seriously hurt or even killed..So lets just try to properly inform him and let him make up his own mind what he wants to do..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thread subscribed. If I get placed in a moderated status for technicalities, I'd bet Green Dog gets placed in perma-timeout shortly.

Who's that I hear? fat lady sings

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As I engage the winch to just pull the vehicle along all is good-vehicle slowly being pulled. Get inside and apply a little brake pressure and the clutch lever on the winch jumps out of gear. Have lubed the shaft area where the clutch lever is connected to said shaft. Am puzzled?
I am gonna' hazard a guess here and figure that after 4 pages of responses you have read the TM and realize that the winch is ALWAYS to be operated from inside the cab.

You have missed the point-why did the mofo jump out of gear-had 2 spotters-damit man just post mechanical thoughts-sheet!
He didn't miss the point-you did. It was in the TM under "winch operation". And if you ask for help or advice, you should take ALL of what you receive, not just what you want.

Horse ****-see 'ya-goin' to the base operations here at Eglin AFB-you guys are Generic!
what does this even mean?

Are you 100% sure on this? I don't have my deuce Operator's manual with me but I do not remember this at all. And I've read it a couple of times. :cool:

Yank-yank! Whatever. :cookoo::?:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

If the "whatever" is in response to the poster who said that people like you give Military vehicle owners a bad name, I'd tread lightly. The MV hobby is very small and therefore doesn't have a lot of political muscle. All it will take is one yahoo to get someone hurt, then a local news station have a slow news day and decide to run a "human interest story" about the guy who got his arm torn out out of his shoulder socket, then some stupid housewife says "well, why should the general public, untrained and unfamiliar with the equipment, have access to said equipment?" and all of a sudden, the DOD decides to scrap all surplus MV's instead of surplussing them?

This is why the DOD decided not to surplus M151's-fear of lawsuits from rollover accidents. No one even had to sue them-it was civilian Jeeps that affected the policy.

So honestly, if we think you're behaving in a way that will reflect badly on us, you probably won't be welcome around here.

I am not trying to be rude-I am actually a pretty pleasant person to be around. In fact, sunshine and happiness just follow me around in a big cloud.

This is a great site-there are a lot of really smart guys here with a lot of experience and pretty much any question you might have can easily be answered here. So you should stay. But make sure you're familiar with the culture of our forum. Use polite manners and common sense. Both are requirements.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks