• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Shear Pin Fabrication

GammaGoatGuy

This is for a 10,000 lbs winch on a 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 The TM says make sure your winch pin is aluminum. Are they made from pure aluminum or aluminum alloy?

I was going to fabricated some from a 1/4" aluminum rod from home depot. Are the factory pins 1/4" in diameter?

Thank you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are an off hardness of aluminum. The store stock won't last a minute. John Tennis might know what stock is used, but run of the mill aluminum won't hold up.

Edit: I've been getting mine from Gene Patano and last told he had a bunch but that was years ago. TRUKS1@msn.com

devilman96

Ditto on what Ken is saying.... The pin size is about .300 to large for 1/4 but to small for 5/16 and the pins I have are made with a slight taper. The idea was to keep bolts from being used in place of shear pins. As for the material im guessing by my own fiddling with turning a pin and testing the hardness there made of 6061.

Boatcarpenter

Did a little research on this myself for deuce shear pins. 9/32 is the dia. needed. rdixiemiller informed me that it is not a common item. Might have to special order and buy in large quantity.

mangus580

I have turned down some 6061 to fit before.... I can say dont waste your time.

Shear pins are pretty cheap, and as long as we keep buying them, someone will keep making them... Buy them in quantity (which reminds me, my supply is getting low)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Maybe we could get a group buy? I only have 7 or 8 left and I would like to have more. $3.50 a pop doesn't sound like much, until you buy 10 or 20 of them :shock:

abh3

Hmmm, I've got a bolt in mine now... Will I kill it like that just pulling the truck itself out, with no heroics pulling on semis, concrete trucks, etc?

If this is really a bad practice where can I get the right pin?

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
abh3, Saturn Surplus has the pins

rmgill

It's as simple as climbing under the truck at the bumper, locating the pin, pulling the safety pins if they're still there, turning the shaft to locate the core pin and driving it out. Then you insert a new pin and set your safety pins

tjcouch

rmgill said:
It's as simple as climbing under the truck at the bumper, locating the pin, pulling the safety pins if they're still there, turning the shaft to locate the core pin and driving it out. Then you insert a new pin and set your safety pins
Thanks . . . . a bit hard to visualize since I am new to this MV stuff . . . . but I will poke my head under there when I get home.

Katch1

9/32=.28" If your holes in your winch drive measure more than that(measure 2 directions) you will continue to shear pins no matter what you put in. If there is ANY play in the hole in comparison to the pin it will let the pin shift, and the stresses shift from sheer to tinsile strength. The pin will fail prematurely. If it were me I'd install bushings in the winch drive if the holes are elongated, so the pins fit correctly. In my opinion a couple of thounsands is acceptable .02 woldn't be. I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, just got a response from Gene. "Pack of 10...genuine GI..$25 post paid..Had a "very" few for the 5 ton.??
Not sure if any are left...
Gene"
If you guys want them, give Gene a shout at TRUKS1@msn.com
Let him know Kenny sent you so you can get that price. $2.50 a pin delivered is about as good as you'll find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks