• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch

Sam27

Anyone install a winch on a CUCV truck (M1008)? I'd like to, but I'm not sure how to mount it. I saw a picture in Peterson's magazine of a CUCV with some kind of winch mount under the original bumper. That's how I'd like to go, but Warn and Ramsey don't show mount applications that old.

85-m1028

as far as mounting a winch Freds army truck in petersons 4wheel is really the best way to do it , I think he used a flat mounting plate "jeep" style and used some bungs that he welded in to the frame rails to mount the plate, there is a write up on it at the website http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/

Sam27

kenny said:
I made mine and it works good. its not under the bumper but it only cost me 20 dollars to build it unlike the $$$ they want for the after market ones.
What kinda tires on the truck in the pic?

Sam27

85-m1028 said:
as far as mounting a winch Freds army truck in petersons 4wheel is really the best way to do it , I think he used a flat mounting plate "jeep" style and used some bungs that he welded in to the frame rails to mount the plate, there is a write up on it at the website http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/
It took me a while, but I found the story. Took a fair amount of custom work to get that in there. I wonder if I can find a used mount like that instead of having to fab my own... I do need to practice my welding though. :roll:

kenny

CCATLETT1984 said:
those tires are the goodyear wrangler MT mil-OZ's if i am not mistaken prolly 37x12.50R16.5

truck has either a 4" or 6" lift to clear the tires.

I'll be doing the same this summer.
right on the tires :D
4 inch superlift from 4Wheel parts

Sam27

Where do you get tires like that? And you need new rims, correct? I thought the CUCV came with 16", not 16.5".

I have a K5 blazer with a 4" lift, and looking at the CUCV it looks to be the equivalent of 2-3" of lift just from the 1-ton suspension. I plan to fender trim enough to fit 35" or 36" tires of some kind. I want to keep the 1-ton capability for hauling stuff.

85-m1028

Sam27 said:
85-m1028 said:
It took me a while, but I found the story. Took a fair amount of custom work to get that in there. I wonder if I can find a used mount like that instead of having to fab my own... I do need to practice my welding though. :roll:
the only welding was the threaded bungs into the frame rails, mosltly just cutting and drilling, I use a 4" grinder with a cut of blade that seems to cut quick and easy, a drill press would make the holes in the plate. I made my first winch mount for my jeep out of a flat piece of 3/8 steel you could do that too!

85-m1028

Sam27 said:
Where do you get tires like that? And you need new rims, correct? I thought the CUCV came with 16", not 16.5".

I have a K5 blazer with a 4" lift, and looking at the CUCV it looks to be the equivalent of 2-3" of lift just from the 1-ton suspension. I plan to fender trim enough to fit 35" or 36" tires of some kind. I want to keep the 1-ton capability for hauling stuff.
the rims are hmmwv 2 piece beadlocks look on ebay theres tons of em! the tires too! they have the same 8 lug bolt patt as the trucks, could use some 1-2" wheel spacers to get the tires out of the wheel well

kenny

Go to GL auctions they sell pallets of 4 tires and rims all the time and most of the time under 200 dollars. They have alot of 36" tires and rims in texas right now on auction

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks