• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch

Sam27

Anyone install a winch on a CUCV truck (M1008)? I'd like to, but I'm not sure how to mount it. I saw a picture in Peterson's magazine of a CUCV with some kind of winch mount under the original bumper. That's how I'd like to go, but Warn and Ramsey don't show mount applications that old.

85-m1028

as far as mounting a winch Freds army truck in petersons 4wheel is really the best way to do it , I think he used a flat mounting plate "jeep" style and used some bungs that he welded in to the frame rails to mount the plate, there is a write up on it at the website http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/

Sam27

kenny said:
I made mine and it works good. its not under the bumper but it only cost me 20 dollars to build it unlike the $$$ they want for the after market ones.
What kinda tires on the truck in the pic?

Sam27

85-m1028 said:
as far as mounting a winch Freds army truck in petersons 4wheel is really the best way to do it , I think he used a flat mounting plate "jeep" style and used some bungs that he welded in to the frame rails to mount the plate, there is a write up on it at the website http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/
It took me a while, but I found the story. Took a fair amount of custom work to get that in there. I wonder if I can find a used mount like that instead of having to fab my own... I do need to practice my welding though. :roll:

kenny

CCATLETT1984 said:
those tires are the goodyear wrangler MT mil-OZ's if i am not mistaken prolly 37x12.50R16.5

truck has either a 4" or 6" lift to clear the tires.

I'll be doing the same this summer.
right on the tires :D
4 inch superlift from 4Wheel parts

Sam27

Where do you get tires like that? And you need new rims, correct? I thought the CUCV came with 16", not 16.5".

I have a K5 blazer with a 4" lift, and looking at the CUCV it looks to be the equivalent of 2-3" of lift just from the 1-ton suspension. I plan to fender trim enough to fit 35" or 36" tires of some kind. I want to keep the 1-ton capability for hauling stuff.

85-m1028

Sam27 said:
85-m1028 said:
It took me a while, but I found the story. Took a fair amount of custom work to get that in there. I wonder if I can find a used mount like that instead of having to fab my own... I do need to practice my welding though. :roll:
the only welding was the threaded bungs into the frame rails, mosltly just cutting and drilling, I use a 4" grinder with a cut of blade that seems to cut quick and easy, a drill press would make the holes in the plate. I made my first winch mount for my jeep out of a flat piece of 3/8 steel you could do that too!

85-m1028

Sam27 said:
Where do you get tires like that? And you need new rims, correct? I thought the CUCV came with 16", not 16.5".

I have a K5 blazer with a 4" lift, and looking at the CUCV it looks to be the equivalent of 2-3" of lift just from the 1-ton suspension. I plan to fender trim enough to fit 35" or 36" tires of some kind. I want to keep the 1-ton capability for hauling stuff.
the rims are hmmwv 2 piece beadlocks look on ebay theres tons of em! the tires too! they have the same 8 lug bolt patt as the trucks, could use some 1-2" wheel spacers to get the tires out of the wheel well

kenny

Go to GL auctions they sell pallets of 4 tires and rims all the time and most of the time under 200 dollars. They have alot of 36" tires and rims in texas right now on auction