• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winches for loading

cyamaha2007

ive loaded many ton trucks onto a dock height trailer with a hi lift jack as a winch or a chain hoist. Oh and my ramps are only 8ft long the rear hitches almost drag on the approach. Ive since made a winch mount but it worked for years. Oh and dont get behind it!

91W350

With a cable and three winch blocks, a half ton can pull it up ramps. I think most sites have loading docks nearby. See if there is a member nearby to help you out. I love recoveries....

WyoDeuce

The trucker I use frequently has a PTO winch on the back of his semi. Super sweet! We have the most trouble with a3's with flat tires. If you can't get the tires aired up they are allmost impossible to steer on or off the trailer. I think that a truck with some flat tires would be allmost impossibe to move with a come along. Non runner is fine as long as it rolls well.

BadMastard

Well, I just finished installing a smitty built 8k winch on my jeep. For 299$ from summit racing, it's the cat's meow. Now, summit shows it as being a 12V or 24V winch, but I'm trying to confirm that. In any case, that's about as cheap as I'm seen a good quality winch. in any case, good luck!

rednckii

When i went to pick up my deuce we used a warn 9k winch and it rolled it right onto the trailer no problem. Just be sure that you have wheel chocks and safety chains in case somthing happens. Also make sure brakes arent locked up mine dragged about a ft then broke loose thankfully. This was pulling it onto a 25ft gooseneck decent angle.

WyoDeuce

Well, I just finished installing a smitty built 8k winch on my jeep. For 299$ from summit racing, it's the cat's meow. Now, summit shows it as being a 12V or 24V winch, but I'm trying to confirm that. In any case, that's about as cheap as I'm seen a good quality winch. in any case, good luck!
Good call on the newer cheaper series of winches. I have a Ramsey LP10,000 for my pickup. $400 delivered to my house from amazon of all places. There is an entry level winch from just about every manufacturer. They might not have all the bells and whistles but they are fine for most of us. You don't have to spend big $ for a decent winch anymore. Use a snatch block for a little extra insurance.

91W350

Wyo is correct, use a winch and a block, two blocks slow things down and you can get by with a smaller winch. If you are not in a big hurry, you can move a lot of weight with blocks and a 6,000 winch. Easier on the winch too. Everybody wants a huge number on the single line winch, using a couple of blocks is cheaper and slower. When winching a load to me, slower is fine with me. Glen

paulfarber

Properly sized blocks and extra lines can cost more than the 'next size up for a winch.

The math is fairly easy, as mentioned, you are moving up an inclined plane on roller bearings (aka wheels).

If you really feel up to it, you can push a deuce. Not far, and definitely not up an inclined plane.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
truckandwinch.com has some nice recon winches in 17,500lb capacity for $450 plus $120 shipping. I just picked one up for my snowplow setup. I also use a snatch block chained to the front of my gooseneck and use another truck with a cable to pull it up on there. We use those for when the mudding trucks are dead in the water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks