• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wing Tip Fuel Tank ID wanted

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These fuel tanks were rotting in a farmers field so we sealed the holes and built a recycled pontoon boat.

I thought that ID'ing the aircraft they belong to would be easy. The fuel cap sits parallel to the mount so I'm almost certain they are both right side, wing tip tanks. It could be civilian but the top half of the tank is painted flat black, so I'm guessing military. A little pi radius squared times the length puts the capacity around 200 gallons, maybe. That's nearly an insane 2000 lbs of fuel hanging on a wing tip.

The tanks on the Cessna A-37 Dragon fly are close but no cigar. ZK-JTL - Private Cessna A-37B Dragonfly at Ohakea | ID 12002 | Airplane-Pictures.net

Had a close look at the T-33 and that's not a match. It's not the 104 or the f-5 or any other plane in Jane's book. Still looking through the hundreds of jet fighter dot com sites but maybe someone has seen these tanks before.

Had an offer I couldn't refuse but I want to know what I'm selling.

Attachments

flyusn99

Based on the length and geometry of the pylon mounting cut-outs I'd say there's a pretty good chance you're looking for a transport aircraft. My initial thought is C-130 but looking online the number and variation on the wing tanks is more than I can count. They also look slightly reminiscent of the F-111 tanks... Good luck.

James

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wing tip tank uses

Thank you so much for checking it out gentlemen. They are big tanks so cargo C makes sense. The Lockheed Constellation tanks are said to be 700 gallons. The engineering to hang 6500+ pounds on a wing tip still blows me away.

Here's the respective planes mentioned and flyusn99' is so correct about the variances. I'm seeing different tank config's on the same plane. Some with the outer wing which my tanks had based on the mount at the back.

I'll keep looking tonight with the extra info.

It's a very cool search finding Bikes and cars utilizing the tanks for aerodynamic bodies.

Thanks again for the direction folks.

P-80 Lockheed Picture of Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star Jet Fighter Plane and information

F-84 Thunder jet Republic F-84 Thunderjet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EC-121 http://www.petemuseum.org/EC121T.html This would be a great piece of history to hold.

Bonneville Bullet Bike, utilizing the F-4 "drop tank".Mike Geokan's Bonneville Bullett This is an amazing build with a great photo spread showing the exhaust fabrication and bike construction start to finish.

Here's another salt flat racer using a 700-gallon wing tank, which was once used in Lockheed Super Constellation aircraft.
Airplane gas tank relives as an ominous salt flats racer

Tanks again, Tanks a lot, Tank you. Getting tanked tonight. Can't tank you enough.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My money says they are pylon tanks (hang under the wing). Are there any data plates? They don't look big enough for a large transport catagory aircraft. Maybe a C123?

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel Drop Tank?

The C123 tank is so close, thanks Tow!

I thought they were too big for wing tip tanks until I found some that make mine look small. Can't believe I said that.

If you check the first pic on the 24' trailer one can see the 12" square patch of aluminum we migged' over the cap we removed. I Assumed.... I mean anticipated that it had to be to the top and was used to fill. Then again, I don't know where the fuel cap is on a "Drop Tank" either, but I'm going to get educated.

No data plates or obvious markings unless they were under something.

I'll keep diggin, thanks again for the help.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canadian Aircraft

Click.

Did a google on Canadian Fighter Jet Aircraft and found this.

Royal Canadian Air Force, Aircraft, Historical Aircraft, Avro CF-100 Canuck

The wing on the side is correct so this could be it.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/resrc/images/hst/l-g/canuck3.jpg

""""The only Canadian designed and built jet fighter to enter operational service. From 1950-1958, 692 Canucks were built. At one time, CF-100s were flown by 13 front-line, all-weather squadrons. They remained in service until 1981. """"""

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/resrc/images/hst/l-g/canucka4.jpg

We are very creative up here.....so we called our Jet, Canuck and Clunk........hilarious.

""""In service for over 30 years, the Avro CF-100 (known as the "Clunk") twin engine interceptor, was one of Canada's greatest aviation success stories. It was the only Canadian designed fighter to go into mass production.""""

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wing tanks

Part of the sale agreement when it moves to Jackfish Lake is full access and a boat to get to it.

Darwin, Waayfast, anytime you need to sit on a red neck deck and go fishin'
when the lake's not frozen, I can make it happen.:beer:

M813A1

Well by the look of the tanks on your trailer their are not wing tanks because the plyon mounts are not centered on the tank they are set back kinda look like some kind of 1950's fighter underwing tank and not wing tip tank .. Kinda look like the tanks on the F-101 VOODOO wing tankor like the inboard underwing B-52 tank

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you may be on to something plowboy with that Canuck. You can see the fill caps on the top in one of the linked pictures. Since I just noticed you are in Canada, I would say you are probably right. Good job!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Museum Confirmed

Really glad I didn't chop these up and build a go-cart. Sent the photo's to a great guy at our Museum and he confirmed Canada's only production AVRO jet fighter.

Rare find.

Now I just need a name for the pontoon boat that's as creative as the plane.

How about..........HIF 100 Beaver

Hope It Floats 100 Beaver

A little Canadian Military History.

Darwin T

Darwin, Waayfast, anytime you need to sit on a red neck deck and go fishin'
when the lake's not frozen, I can make it happen.:beer:
if i ever make it to the Great White North it will probably be when the lake is liquid not solid. i will bring the brew if i can use that awesome diagonal excelorator "slide".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Related (kinda) story you folks may appreciate. There is a large lake area in the intercoastal waterway here in our area. During certain days it's like the party area of the rich and shameless with boats anchored about from 17' to near 100'. Multi million dollar vessels. One day in the midst of the who's who, these 2 ( redneck in apprearance) folks come cruising up on a hand crafted (out of refuse) pontoon boat. Looked to be some drums and maybe a sheet or two of plywood. Had a little kicker motor in the back, a trash can (with the required keg), one plastic bucket, a small crafted table and a boom box. These 2 folks cruised up without a care in the world enjoying their vessel like no one else could. Within an hour there were more girls half naked partying and hanging around that floating pallet than anywhere on the lake. Enjoy, your jet (tank) pontoon boat, I'll bet it's the hit of the lake.

NEIOWA

A BOAT? Ypu made them into a BOAT? The correct reutilization plan is to stuff a hotrod Ford Flathead and a drivers seat inside, attach two axles. Take to a salt flat (or frozen lake) and put right foot down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks