• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage ,keep the critters out of the cab.

derby

YTS, Is there a way you can close up the holes there getting in? 50 is alot of critters! The bucket does work , jury is still out on the peppermint oil. I hopped in the Deuce back in the fall and as the low air buzzer came on a mouse jumped out of the bottom of the dash and almost ran up my pant leg. gave me quite a start. I put a sticky trap in a shoe box and taped it down to the bottom and also the peppermint oil and I have not seen anything since so we will see.

3dAngus

Mice and ants, huh?
Well, I still like traps for mice, and I check them regularly because I am able to. I remove all carcasses to eliminate any chance of smell.
On ants, if the small kind that get into your trucks or cars, they are probably argentine ants, or, we call them sugar ants. Go to Lowes and get some "Terro". It is a sugar syrup that has borax in it, the same ingredient that kills roaches. Ants take it home, the queen notices a lot of dead ants in their burrow, and moves on, taking the nest with her. Sometimes they eat it for up to three days before they dissappear.

No one mentioned squirrels!! They eat vinly off your wiring, bumpers, house shutters, house vinyl. Very dangerous to parked vehicles.
I shot my son's Winchester 9422 with a short subsonic .22, and my BB gun makes more noise, but like all BB guns now days, have a warped barrell and do different things at different ranges. Getting hard to shoot a squirrel even with a scope on a BB gun, and I have that nice one with 1000 feet per second velocity. Scrapped three before this.

Can't find a model 9422, but I am convinced it and the subsonic short shell is the way to go. Extremely accurate without a scope. I can hit a silver dollar sized target 6 out of 10, and a tangerine 10 out of 10 from 35 yards with bad eyes.

I'm going to war on squirrels in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mice and ants, huh?
Well, I still like traps for mice, and I check them regularly because I am able to. I remove all carcasses to eliminate any chance of smell.
On ants, if the small kind that get into your trucks or cars, they are probably argentine ants, or, we call them sugar ants. Go to Lowes and get some "Terro". It is a sugar syrup that has borax in it, the same ingredient that kills roaches. Ants take it home, the queen notices a lot of dead ants in their burrow, and moves on, taking the nest with her. Sometimes they eat it for up to three days before they dissappear.

No one mentioned squirrels!! They eat vinly off your wiring, bumpers, house shutters, house vinyl. Very dangerous to parked vehicles.
I shot my son's Winchester 9422 with a short subsonic .22, and my BB gun makes more noise, but like all BB guns now days, have a warped barrell and do different things at different ranges. Getting hard to shoot a squirrel even with a scope on a BB gun, and I have that nice one with 1000 feet per second velocity. Scrapped three before this.

Can't find a model 9422, but I am convinced it and the subsonic short shell is the way to go. Extremely accurate without a scope. I can hit a silver dollar sized target 6 out of 10, and a tangerine 10 out of 10 from 35 yards with bad eyes.

I'm going to war on squirrels in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B E W A R E ! They know you're coming......

Attachments

dabtl

Fox urine is available at most feed stores. It stinks. It will keep rodents and such away. Also humans if you put on stuff. Best to put it in a lid or something so you can toss it out.

cxcman

Ok I have used alot of diferent poisons but I have found large sticky traps with a bit of pb in the center place it under the the truck/car and check it one every so offten for the mice as for 8 legged the only thing that is a guaranteed to work is spraying them with bleach and for ants/fire ants is andro fire ant killer ( should be in a black bottle and stink very bad) other than that some gasoline and a box of maches (I make all ants fire ants)

dobyg75

Ha ha OK so we have problems with chip Muncks and mice also spiders and carpenter ants. i had a pop up camper full of ants last summer after filling it with moth balls. so i stripped the cushions out and took out of the camper and went after them with a butane torch kinda dangerous now that i think about it but i was pissed so about an hour later about 90 percent of the colony was burnt to a crisp and the rest ran away hopefully they told there friends and i wont have to deal with them anymore ha-ha when i was going through the camper i found a few cabinents with some old candy and it had charcoal ants did not touch it huh? wonder if that could be a good deterent no smell to it, as for mice / chip Muncks we use a have a hart trap in the attic so they dont stink up the house and put them in a trash bag and gas them with the car exhaust keeps them from coming back spiders haven found a cure any for them?

KsM715

For you guys with shops and pole barns, I got one word for you, Cats. Get a cat, get it fixed and you wont have any more mice.

panshark

what about launching a psy-ops campaign on the pack rats? rig up a small siren or loudspeaker (car alarm might work) and activate remotely. if they don't hear footsteps before the noise starts, they would have no warning. Bust their little ratty ear-drums...and shoot them with a .22 or bb gun when they exit the noise-maker.

Vintage iron

going to try the peppermint oil trick. Found some mice jimmies on my seat the other day. Irish spring doesn't work. I tried it in my Chevelle. It was lunch! Cats tend to piss in trucks too. I will take mouse poop over cat piss any day! I do have a mini (bear trap style) mouse trap I am dieing to try. May work on thief too!

Amer-team

So what do you do for the smell once they have been there? My M54 came with a mouse problem from the auction. It ended up having the heating ducts about half full of nests and stuff. Did remove all the old ducts and replaced cleaned and painted all metal parts. Have soaked the cab down with bleach water about 3 times, have used other cleaners. They nested in the passenger seat, so took it apart, cleaned, soaked it in bleach, let dry and did it a few more times replaced the padding and painted the wood inside and out and it stll smells of mouse p@@. And when the problem was first discoverd, I caught 2 mice and put the neighbors cat in the cab over night, no more mice. will try the mint oil as a deterent.
My grandmother used to grow mint in a bucket by the back and front door of the house and everytime she would walk by, she would brush them with her hand. She told me that helped keep the insects out of the house.

phantomjeep

did you check in the doors and rocker panels??? the peperment oil lasts all year, cab smells great
(if you like the smell of pepermint) hope the cat didn't add to the problem LOL

Amer-team

I think if there were any mice left, he got em. He was definitely ready to get out in the morning. Have not had a probelm since, but I live in town and we have a pretty busy cat population.

JarheadMtn

I left a few trucks parked up on my mountain and found that all of the heater hoses had been chewed thru so they could get to the antifreeze. I had chipmunks, squirels and mice getting in the engine compartment, interior and into my cabin. Since they wanted the sweet tasting antifreeze I began cutting the bottom off of water bottles and leaving about 1/2" of antifreeze for them to drink. I make sure that its in a place only those critters can get to and drink. Since then I have not had any more heaterhoses chewed thru and the only thing I find is an occasional dead mouse. A few onces of antifreeze last for months and is a lot cheaper than Decon or other poison.

dezert ratt

For all you guys with a sprouts farmers market near by, I found pure peppermint 100% with no sugar, for aroma therapy. The lady I asked at the market knew right away when I told her what I was looking for, and what the use would be. And yes I found rodent droppings in my 818 today. Ill keep updates on how it works. :beer:

phantomjeep

It's that time of year again, get ready for the criters to move in to our warm new truck seats!!!!!
got the pepperment oil in the cabs again and no mice or other criters in four years, wish it kept the bees out in the summer. Anyone had any success in killing wasps and bees ??