• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage ,keep the critters out of the cab.

wsucougarx

I haven't read through the entire thread but I used a box of the original Irish Spring Bar soap to keep the critters away. I have a bar on the air cleaner of my deuces and one in the cab. Just cut a couple holes in the box to let it breath. The rodents hate the smell and stay away. This works for me in my area anyways.
Scratch this method. The mice are now eating the soap.

71DeuceAK

Antifreeze! The mice love it! Just make sure dogs, cats, etc. can't get into it...they'll like it too and get poisoned.

They'll drown in the antifreeze. (the mice). A friend (who has a bunch of Deuces and 5 tons as well) showed me this in his garage/shop/pantry. It works! A gallon's worth had about five dead mice in it! (I know, we strained all the mice out before reusing the antifreeze elsewhere).

Water works too, especially a toilet. Amusing side story: We had this house (In Atascadero, CA if you're wondering what region/critter types) with a 1/2 bathroom in the garage (just a toilet, not even a sink). It was almost never used, sometimes literally not for months or even years at a time. There was about a 2" gap under the door (concrete floor in the garage and asphalt tile floor in the small bathroom, no threshold) so the mice easily got in there. Mom's ex-hustband-but-they-were-going-to-remarry goes to use that bathroom one day, and finds two dead, decomposing mice in the toilet! rofl

Jakelc15

What do you guys plug the holes in the cab with? Convoy light installed still leaves a few holes in the back. There are a couple extra holes in the firewall too. The bees like to get in through there.
I almost got a feral cat last year. Was under my hood to stay warm. Block heater on. Got out just before I started it up.

3rdmdqm

I had the same issues, those buggers are destructive. Peppermint oil has worked well for me. I take the top off of two small bottles and let it sit next to the transmission shifter. Have had very few issues since. The bottles are good for 1 to 2 years before it evaporates. Don't bother trying the Irish Spring soap. The mice I had started eating it and it didn't do a darn thing. The other thing that works really well is take an old stocking, put about a dozen moth balls inside and set under your seat. Only problem is, the smell. Peppermint oil smells much better.

Eliteweapons

I finally got around to troubleshooting why the defroster on the driver side of the truck wasn't working today. Air would scream out of the floor and passenger side vents but not the drivers side. I pulled it apart and found a huge old critter nest in that duct. Cleaned it out, turned on the fan and let the remainder "confetti" fly. Problem solved.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you guys plug the holes in the cab with? Convoy light installed still leaves a few holes in the back. There are a couple extra holes in the firewall too. The bees like to get in through there.
I almost got a feral cat last year. Was under my hood to stay warm. Block heater on. Got out just before I started it up.
We've had some luck with steel wool in the M135 and the M207 shop van but they are just temporary plugs over the winter. There is the problem with rust if you're in a moist climate but it washes off in the spring. Think I might try S.O.S. pads and see if the soap helps keep the rust away. We also run peppermint extract and either make wee tinfoil containers to put it in or drink a few beer and use the caps.

Mouse droppings aren't bad until you sweep it out, create dust and die from the Hanta virus. Always mask up and bleach down when cleaning out the trucks. http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks