• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage ,keep the critters out of the cab.

Clay James

I'm overrun by just about everything here in good old CA. Coyotes, skunks, coons, meat bees, hornets, dirt dobbers, ants, spiders, bob cats, mountain lions, deer and of course rats and mice. For the rodent problem I have tried regular traps, sticky traps, poison and it hasn't put a dent in them. It is extremely infuriating to open the hood of the BMW, Mercedez or Porsche and find a huge mouse nest on the top of the engine, complete with rocks and mounds of hay. Just started using the soap idea and I'm going to try peppermint oil next.

Last edited:

jatonka

I just use LOTS of moth balls in everything I care about. They always work. I store a lot of canvas and can't afford to have it ruined. I spread 2 boxes twice a year in my canvas bus. Just my humble opinion. JT out

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had good luck using mothballs in the backup generators where I work. They also seem to keep the wasps away. I just have to add new every couple of months or so. I haven't had a rodent problem with the deuce yet...don't know why, but it seems to appear as a huge bird house to the sparrows! Bird doo on the tires, fuel tank, bed sides....no real damage, just a nuisance.

maxxplanck

If you want to keep critters out dont wast time with all that junk out there from Chemical companies. Its all about money ............. Pepperment oil is expensive , chemical companies want to make money. Real peppermint oil is the best...2cents

lindyp38

a friend of mine has quite an extensive old car/truck/mv collection. He opens a box of decon and sets it on the floorboard inside the car in winter. He has never had a mouse problem in his vehicles. I guess this line of thinking is that they're gonna get in, so the plan is to eliminate them.
decon is the way to go........

They dont die inside ur vehicle....i use it all over......

Even in my attic and crawl space......shed.....garage...u name it....

It really works.......they eat it.....get thirsty and leave to find water......and bam....theyre dead....

It works everytime....

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about ants? not so much this winter cause they seem to have gone cause of the cold, but this past summer it was an all out war just to keep them from nesting in the cab. I opened the door one day to find about 3 or 4 piles, each 2 tablespoons worth, of eggs and babies in different stages of development under my seat. And i also found where they made a home out of my right front wheel, inside, between the tire and tube. I noticed that after about a 150 mile trip one day, i stopped and noticed there were ants covering the whole wheel and tire, then i saw where they were coming from. Do you think ants get dizzy, or throw up?

Best thing I've found for ants are those little metal poisin-feeder things. DON'T buy the flimsy plastic-cased ones--- they don't work. Get the little metal disk-shaped ones and the ants will be gone fer good.

phantomjeep

peppermint oil (for candy making) is 3 bucks a bottle (photo of the bottle back a few pages):grd:,not to expensive and this is the second year on the little bottle 1.50 a year!!!! and the truck smells great too

YTS Deuce

Thanks SO MUCH for this thread. I have a 5,000sq ft shop that has a huge mouse problem, the little suckers get into everything in there, saddle bags of my motorcycle, toolbox of the four wheelers, inside my 5th wheel.... B*stards made a nest under my girlfriend's pillow in the bedroom inside my 5th wheel. THAT made her happy, LOL!

I've set out tons and tons of snap traps and glue traps, probably caught a fifty or so in the last couple of years, but I'm not there every day to check / reset the traps. So of course I've started getting the wonderful odor associated with mouse droppings and carcasses. I've got 6-8 of those electronic repellers, what a joke! One is plugged into the dresser about 2 feet from the bed they made their nest in.

Those of you with Peppermint Oil experience, how many bottles would you think I would need to set around the shop to drive them away? I figure I'll put 3 in the 5th wheel, one in storage, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.

Do natural health food stores like GNC carry the oil? Not sure where to find it...

phantomjeep

You would need alot of the little bottles to do a 5000 sf bldg a photo of the bottle is on page 6. If you use it in your rigs it should keep them out. Sounds like the 5 gal pail with 8 in of water in it with sunflower seeds sprinkled on the water, put a board from the floor to the edge of the pail, they climb up and jump down to eat the seeds and drowned. Good luck

maxxplanck

I use nutraceutical peppermint oil its about $20 for 2 4 fl oz bottels. my pole barn is 64 x 48. I get 2 old plastic butter containers and 2 old wash rags. Put the old wash rags in the butter containers and soak 1/2 bottel in each. I put one in the deuce cab and one under it. Do this twice a year. Smells great and no critters. Sometimes old school works best than fancey chemicals.. Rich

YTS Deuce

I live in small town Montana, hopefully finding the stuff won't be too bad. On the other hand, from the sounds of it I may need to order a CASE off the internet, LOL