• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter weather.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Are you going to roll up any of the sides in foil and set them on top of the engine to cook?
Gotta take full advantage of that extra heat energy.
I think potatoes take about 6 hours at 180F
Crescent rolls are probably only 2 hours, unless it's really windy out....
Test your cylinder balance by placing a potato near each exhaust port and perform a taste test after 6 hours to determine if the injectors are balanced. ;)
Merry Christmas to everyone!
I worked for Ryder Truck Rental years ago. We used to find all kinds of foil wrapped food left on top of the intake manifolds on these trucks!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys Thanks for the well Christmas wishes and back to all of you! Yes we have had an interesting last 3 weeks in ND It has snowed every day for 3 weeks straight sometimes heavy and sometimes light but every day some snow! I have a tractor with a blower on it and thank god a good cab and heat so that parts been OK but with that being said I have spent almost 33 hours in the tractor over these weeks, my driveway in 1/4 mile long and this morning when I blew it yet again there was a pretty nice 1 ft layer of snow covering it. The temps have been in the well below zero for over a week now this morning when I was clearing the white stuff it was -21 and tonight its forecast to be -29 degrees but no new snow forecast till tomorrow they are saying 3 to 6 inches of yet more snow. Yesterday was a full day of 40 to 50 mph winds so there was lots of big drifts to move today! ND SD and a big part of MN were completely shut down yesterday, all interstates closed and NO TRAVEL advised for the entire state of ND and SD except in the very western part! Yes its been a bit challenging but like always we will get through it as we always do! Stay safe all!

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Temps here yesterday were -6 wind chill of -35 50 mph winds furnace kept going out due to wind down the stack. Luckily power stayed on last night and temp got up to 0 today and winds are on only 25mph. currently have the Multiquip Welder Generator hooked up on standby because my concrete pad has not been poured yet for the permanent 1040 home. it has a 30 gallon tank, but the 1040, or a 802 are available as back ups. Unlike light in the Dark i currently have a bunch of sets here for sale. guy came thursday to buy one and it was an hour of looking at everyone asking questions. He said it was like the Walmart of Generator sales. not sure if that is a good or bad compliment. At least he bought one i guess. LMTV does not have weather stripping on driverside door and guess which door was facing the wind. I looked today and shut the door and kept walking to the barn. Something to deal with another day.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lost power around 0430 yesterday until around 1100 ... Cell phones were buzzing in our circle about people getting stranded on back roads as they came across downed trees, turned around to only be boxed in by a tree that had fallen behind them previously.. Anyway, at least yesterday it was just above freezing including the wind chill , 40-60mph gusts, everything soaking wet or getting covered with ice, it changing by the half-hour, and the main MEP003a started just fine.. It's protected under its OEM vinyl cover on the trailer and protected from the NW by a parts storage building.. But getting me started and warmed up to go outside in the snowy slop and freezing rain was another story. :sad: I had been very content by the wood stove going through some paperwork.

Jenny got a good run with household, the shop and compressor, including some welding as well .. After power was restored we had brief outages dotted with occasional brownouts and bright surges as the day progressed.. Internet was out and we had previously unplugged all electronics as in decades past, but also this time to include any large appliances with circuit boards. Had learned that lesson when that "newer=better?" stuff was coming about :-x.... Branches and smaller trees apparently were still falling down on the system somewhere .. By dark the temp plummeted and large heavy snowflakes were coming down thick... We had single digits by bedtime with a -20 wind chill .. Thankfully only got a few inches of snow this time, but plenty of high water from the heavy rainfall plus a foot of snow melt.. Has been about 3 feet of snow total so far this season, but none of that depth was on the ground all at once, this time... Luckily here in southern (lake) champlain valley the "big" 2-day storms that dump 3 or 4 feet at once only come a couple times a year. Most the others are those overnight 1 or 2-footers that over time create the huge snowbanks.. Then the brief January or February thaw comes and we start accumulating snow all over again. About 30 years ago a bad snow/ice storm hit the adirondacks and wiped out huge sections of its vast state forest, including the Canadian trunk line that feeds the northern parts of NY and VT. .. We were without power almost an entire week but we had a 60kva PTO farm genny at the time. The main MEP003a was obtained in 2006 with 1200hrs on it. It now has 1654 .. The other ones here range from 7 hours (not a typo) to 300 .. They are mothballed except one backup set. In very cold weather (below 0 up to 20) it sometimes takes two or three attempts to start, each with a full minute of preheat .. Has never let me down ..

//. Wishing a happy holiday season to all .. :goodjob:

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have antigel in your fuel? Ice in the fuel can cause no pumping. Let the machine pump run for a few minutes then try again. If you still dont get it to go, undo the fuel line at the outbound side and see if you are getting fuel pumped. Move your way through the system to the injectors.
I have put anti gel in it and my 3 275 gallon tanks as well. I think I found the issue though, the return line right at the rear injector is sweating out about 2 feet long. Might be loosing prime. I replaced that 3mm?? line and ran the pump for about 10 minutes. It started with a cold cough since it is 0 today. Speaking of parts... I saw 4 802 gen heads for sale next week on gov planet...2 look like they weren't installed.

TheLogJam

New to this forum but came here to sing the praises of my 003A. Genset has been continually running for 40 hours, helping to fend off the -1° temperatures. I've had it for nearly 5 years but this is the first time it has been truly tested. Yesterday we cooked a Christmas ham and all of the fixings in our electric appliances and today I ran a full load of laundry again all electric. Just saw the utility truck come up the hill so it looks like the show is nearly over but what a machine ... Happy Holidays to all!

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to this forum but came here to sing the praises of my 003A. Genset has been continually running for 40 hours, helping to fend off the -1° temperatures.
did it pretty much keep to the "advertised" gallon per hour under load? Ours can exceed that on full-load occasions but generally averages .8gph with what we have happening during the day with the house and shop