• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wipers are slow

fallen

Just got my second blazer this week. The wipers run very slow. If you pull them off of the windshield they seem to run at the normal speed. The system voltage is good. Has anyone had this problem before. Thanks in advance.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008 start out super slow and gain speed after a bit. I'm not sure what that means either.

SPCWarning

Wiring

Mine was slow, so I did a search for "CUCV wipers" in the forum search. I found several different threads listed. Most pointed to wiring. I found a bad ground on mine and they work great now. It would be to your advantage to check/clean every electrical connection on the CUCV since it is that old. A bad wire may not be your problem, but it's the easiest and cheapest repair if it does work! Hope this helps.

Jimmy

panama

Mine were slow too...did a capacitor (i think that's what they are) bypass and screwed in a new ground and they are much better.

mr.travo

WD-40 and PB are good lubes, but it you want it to last, clean all the dirt and gunk off and rub some lithium grease (out of the tube) on each linkage. The stuff lasts much longer (IMHO) and is what they used coming off the line. The same thing is great for all the window mechs. Just make sure you strip off all the gunk first. It doesn't work as well on top of gunk.

Just my 2 cents.

mr.travo

Ya, I just into doing things only once (nothing lasts forever but you can sure try and make it). If you're going to go through the hassle of pulling parts and doing something, might as well take a little bit of extra time and do it right.

cpf240

WD-40 and PB are good lubes, but it you want it to last, clean all the dirt and gunk off and rub some lithium grease (out of the tube) on each linkage. The stuff lasts much longer (IMHO) and is what they used coming off the line. The same thing is great for all the window mechs. Just make sure you strip off all the gunk first. It doesn't work as well on top of gunk.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you about the grease lasting much longer then the WD-40, etc. You mentioned using lithium grease out of a tube. Is that substantially better then using the spray form of lithium grease? Sometimes it is easier to get the spray nozzle into tight places!

mr.travo

I think it's better than the can. It's probably 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other though. I agree with you about the can being able to reach tighter places. I personally just don't care for the over spray that I usually cause :mrgreen:

fallen

What items did you have to swap out. I'm guessing the motor and switch at least. Was all of the wiring correct? I am trying to locate the hub caps for the front any ideas where i could find some.

48cj2a

I had already installed a tilt wheel out of a junk yard that had the intermittent switch already in the column and obtained the intermittent module at the same time. I swapped wiper motors with the crew cab donor to eliminate the washer pump intregal to the motor as well.

Column Switch
Intermittent module
Motor
Washer bottle w/ intragal pump and harness
Wiper arms with washer hoses and "T" or "Y" adapter

camogriz

I removed the resistor wire from the harness that plugs into the wiper motor on my M1009 about a year ago and the wipers work great now. The connector plugs are duplicates and it will still plug right back into the wiper motor. I understand that the resistor was mainly for suppressing radio interference, and not to cut 24 volts into 12 volts.

HeadWizard

Taking the resistor out should raise the voltage some allowing the motor to run at a higher speed. That would mean that the voltage is low to begin with. Bad ground or connection is the most likely cause. High friction in the linkage the other culprit. Clean all grounds and connectors. Clean and lube, clean and lube!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks