• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wipers... will not return

Barrman

To stop it from pumping the water, pull the plastic cover off the motor. It just has that little umbrella shaped pin holding it on. Pull a little and it will pop off.

The top part under the cover is the washer. There is a metal piece that rides on a cam like plastic gear. Pull that metal piece back and the washer will stop working. I don't have any pictures here at work, sorry. Pull the cover and run the wipers. You should be able to see what does what.

Jersey4x4

The 18" Blades just fit without hitting and cover the entire windshield. When I had the OE CUCV style motor they would just barely move when the glass was dry like when you try to wash the windshield with the wiper washers that was the main reason for the swap to the other style motor without the mechanical washer pump.

Can you run 18" blades with the size of the window? Maybe it just the way my wiper arms sit, but mine had 15" blades on it when I got it. I figured I could run a little bit bigger blade so I moved up to a 16" when I replaced them. I really can't tell any difference in speed. I think if I was to go to anything bigger than 16" the blades would smack the weatherstripping.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! Nice thread with useful information! Like others have mentioned, fixing problems I didn't know that I had!aua LOL I didn't think it was "right" but it was tolerable, and I was getting good at manually parking them on the fly. I still have the fifteen on the passenger side, but switched to an eighteen on the drivers, no problems yet.
God bless,
Tony:D

chief1983

The wiper motor used on the CUCV is the old school motor used in the 70s civy trucks and cars and has a plunger built in and is a mechanical wiper washer pump so it only squirts fluid if the wipers are moving and it also is not fixable when it fails and the motor is also weak and can only run 15" blades. I am a Chevy C/K truck nut so I did some research and swapped in the newer motor with electric washer pump and delay and it plugs right in and mounts exactly perfect with no mods to anything. As for the washer pump with this, I got a washer bottle with pump and part of the harness from the yard and wired in to the old style plug(Color code matched) and now I have 18" blades which are great, electric pisser pump, delay wipers, and no sluggish moving blades. If you were to look at it is is exactly like the old one for aesthetics since it uses all OEM parts just from a Silverado package 85 chevy truck.
I cleaned all my contacts, still not working so I'm thinking about replacing the motor. Is this a part I should be able to find at NAPA or Advance? After searching all I seem to be finding is the same part as the Blazer has.

Jersey4x4

the A1 cardone part number for the updated motor is 40-182 and it will bolt right in and plug in also. All you will need is the washer bottle and pump and extend the wiring to reach the new electric pump. LMC truck part numbers 3604084 pump, 36-4094 bottle. the harnes I used was from a chevy truck in a yard, just cut it close to the firewall then extend your existing wiring to the new pump mounted on the washer bottle.

I cleaned all my contacts, still not working so I'm thinking about replacing the motor. Is this a part I should be able to find at NAPA or Advance? After searching all I seem to be finding is the same part as the Blazer has.

Jersey4x4

That is what is used from the factory but the pump is no longer serviced so even when you get a new/rebuilt motor it is still a 20+ year old crusty pump. The mechanical pump is what really slows down the wiper motor when engaged which is why the upgrade. But yes you are correct that is the motor installed on every CUCV from the factory.

I used Cardone part 40-180, same wiper motor with the pump built in just in case anyone wants an all-in-one replacement.

chief1983

Ah good, the 40-182 was the one listed for the Blazer already, so I guess I can just swap the motor now and worry about the pump thing later, to see if this fixes my blade park issue. Might go pick that up today.

tbearatkin

I think I will put the original motor replacement on. Why add more possible electrical issues by having to splice in a washer pump.

Complete troubleshooting in TM 9-2320-289-34 starts on page 2-46

WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER SYSTEM
8. WIPER MOTOR INOPERATIVE IN ONE SPEED
Step 1. Turn key to “ RUN” position, Turn wiper switch to inoperative speed position,
Connect jumper wire from gray lead terminal on wiper motor to ground (if low
speed inoperative) or from double white lead terminal on wiper motor to ground (if
high speed inoperative).
If wiper motor runs, trace circuit from wiper motor to switch. (See wiring
diagram E-20 or E-21)
If wiper motor does not run, remove end cap assembly from wiper motor.
(See paragraph 10- 8 Inspect brushes for damage. Replace any damaged
brushes in end cap assembly.
2-46
TM 9-2320-289-34
Table 2-2. Electrical Troubleshooting (Con’t)
MALFUNCTION
TEST OR INSPECTION
CORRECTIVE ACTION
9. WIPER SWITCH “OFF,” WIPER BLADES DO NOT RETURN TO PARK POSITION
Step 1. Turn key to “RUN” position, Turn wiper switch to “OFF” position. Connect jumper
wire between park switch terminals (black/light blue lead terminal and white lead
terminal beside it) on wiper motor,
If wiper motor runs, replace park switch, (See paragraph 10- 8
If wiper motor does not run, trace circuit through black/light blue lead from
wiper motor to switch, (See wiring diagram E-20 or E-21)
10. WIPER WILL NOT TURN OFF
Step 1. Turn key to “RUN” position. Turn wiper switch to “OFF” position. Disconnect
connector from park switch terminals (black/light blue lead terminal and white lead
terminal beside it) on wiper motor.
If wiper motor stops, replace park switch. (See paragraph 10- 8
If wiper motor still runs, perform step 2.
Step 2. Disconnect 3-wire connector from windshield wiper motor. Connect 12 volt power
source to windshield wiper motor terminal #l.
If wiper motor does not run, trace all 3 circuits from 3-wire connector at wiper
motor to switch for short to ground, (See wiring diagram E-20 or E-21)
If wiper motor still runs, remove end cap assembly from wiper motor. (See
paragraph 10- Check for ground between brushes in end cap assembly.
Replace brushes if grounded.
11. WIPER OPERATES IN ONE SPEED ONLY (SAME SPEED IN “LO” AND “HI”)
Step 1. Disconnect 3-wire connector from wiper motor, Operate wiper in “LO” and “H1.”
If wiper operates correctly in each wiper position, trace circuit from 3-wire
connector to switch. (See wiring diagram E-20 or E-21)
If wiper does not operate correctly in each wiper position, remove end cap
assembly from wiper motor. (See paragraph 10- check for short between
brushes in end cap assembly. Replace brushes if shorted.
2-47

Last edited:

chevymike

I had this problem on my recently sold M1010. I found out it was the grey capacitor pack that was bad. If you still have this on the truck, you will notice that the plug on the factory wiring and the plug on the wiper motor will connect directly, without this capacitor pack. This was only used by the military for noise surpression and is not really needed for civi use.

I removed my pack, connected the factory harness directly to the wiper motor and not only did the wipers self park as they should, I actually had two speeds again.

It's a free thing to try and won't hurt anything if it doesn't solve the problem.