• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire Source to 60A service?

USAMilRet

I found a good wire source for type w cable. The one I found is rated 2000v @65 amps for 8AWG. The 6AWG runs 87 amps. I have read about dropping the awg per 100 foot segment.

So my question is should I go to a 6 awg vs an 8 awg for a less than 100 foot run?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 100' length running 240v:

8 gauge will give you about 7v of drop at 56a
6 gauge will give you about 4.4v of drop at 56a

gatorbob

I always go as large as is feasible. Yes, that is the rule of thumb when going 100' or more. [Edit- so the feeder inside my house is 1/0 AL because I don't ever want to go into the attic to suffer through that horrible installation. I took the 1/0 SER feeder to a 60A disconnect on the side of the house to transition to the Type W. For the price, 1/0 made perfect sense compared to the price of other SER options.]

I have Type W cable here with the same specs. I went with 6 AWG even for a short run (15-20 ft). For me, the cable was already insanely high in price so I figured why try to shave a small amount off. The purchase was going to hurt either way.

I also load bank tested into the high 60s in terms of amperage without tripping the MEP overload. Not saying I'd run it like that on purpose but I definitely want my cable to be safe at 125% of whatever the load could be - even if a really high load by accident.

Are you going a full 100'?

Last edited:

USAMilRet

No and yes. I only need to go 70ft but am thinking about 100 ft as a backup in case I have to move the genset or go mobile (unlikely unless SHTF) or sell at a later date. So even though I am 70 ft distance right now I still am thinking of running 100 ft of cable.

I think 6 awg....

USAMilRet

Wouldn't upping the output voltage to 244 volts eliminate the voltage drop in the wire? And is the voltage drop an issue with todays operations of 110 to 120 vac and 220 to 240 vac utilities?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Voltage drop is proportional to current (load). No load means no voltage drop. At these values I'm not really worried about it. 7V @ 56A isn't a big deal. 4.4V is certainly better.

Where it comes into play most is with motor starting. You need a good voltage and amperage kick to get a motor turning. If it were me and the cost wasn't too great I would go with #6.

lynn896

I just ordered my 25' run for generator to transfer switch. I went with type W 4/4 cable. The cost between 6awg and 4awg was not that much, and for me the additional carrying capability without the drop was worth it.

USAMilRet

Voltage drop is proportional to current (load). No load means no voltage drop. At these values I'm not really worried about it. 7V @ 56A isn't a big deal. 4.4V is certainly better.

Where it comes into play most is with motor starting. You need a good voltage and amperage kick to get a motor turning. If it were me and the cost wasn't too great I would go with #6.

I see that voltage drop is a function of amps being carried by the wire and resistance due to length of wire. More wire means more resistance to flow as far as length is concerned.

Number 6 awg is about 1lb/ft. So it's going to be a 100lb connection cable.

USAMilRet

Got my wire. Type W 100ft and it weighs 100lbs. Had to unroll the spool to get to the other end, leave 10ft out and respool. What is the opinion of tinning the copper leads with solder to keep them intact?

Have to wait for my 60309 IP67 connectors to come in. Found a bunch of 5 wire ABB560 connectors. Got 2 of the P5W plugs for $50 each, 1 of the C5W connectors for $40, and the R5W receptacle for $10. All BNIB. For pin and sleeve, I felt lucky at that price. Now makes me wish I ordered 6/5 wire instead of the 6/4.

Had to buy the B5W inlet and paid $112 for that but at least I got my 60amp IP67 watertight pin and sleeve connections.

Interlock is already installed into the panel so things are moving forward.

Last edited:

USAMilRet

Thought about the RV cord. Not long enough and it's rated at 50A although it might be available in higher amperage. Does not matter.....not long enough.

Besides I got the W 6/4 100ft as indicated above.

m32825

Got my wire. Type W 100ft and it weighs 100lbs. Had to unroll the spool to get to the other end, leave 10ft out and respool.
Are you load banking your set with the wire coiled on the spool? I remember reading somewhere about heat being an issue when you run power through a coil of wire. Might be worth looking into...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks