• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a M977 HEMTT in Ft. Drum

jjb

Anyone know if they will assist in loading? Its says in the auction that the truck could not be started. Will they let me try and get it running?

I really wasn't expecting to win it. Never expected it to go so cheap.

As long as there is no major issues with the engine/drivetrain I think I did good?

I have someone to haul it but they have no winch to load it.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give Sam a call at the "site" contact phone number, she is pretty good with the fork truck, but that may be too big to push on with, but it may have the guts to pull it out onto the big gravel median outside the GL compound for you do tinker with.
Right now there isn't anything listed at Ft Drum so chances are that there aren't any other vehicles, that run, that can be used for pushing with a towbar.

There are SS members nearer than me who could assist with a winch or push. Wait for further replies or try fishing off of the Member Map at the top of the page.

Scratch above... Didn't realise this was a GovPlanet auction. Assumed it was a GL thing. "Call and ask" still applies though as well as "other SS members".

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the GP rep does have a car and a laptop.

Maybe he can tow it onto the trailer with his charger cord.

smittyjr355

It would be best to just have a wrecker come and load it on the trailer and then tinker with it when you get it home. That way if the truck will not run with a easy fix, everybody's time is not wasted (truck driver, GP rep, and yours). And it is never good to be "rushed" to get something running because people are waiting on you. This is just my 2 cents.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
HEMMT's have straight air brakes and if it won't crank the brakes will have to be caged (which means you have no brakes) or air will have to be put in the system through the glad hands to release the brakes (preferred method).
If the truck has been ran out of fuel it will be a bit*h kitty to crank. Most of the time you have to pressurize the system (slightly) to get the fuel to the injector pump. That is the nature of the beast with Detroits. Been there, done that, no T-shirt.
It's been a long time since I fooled with HEMMT's so I'm not sure about the emergency fuel shut off. You can download the TM's for reference.
I would go ahead and find a local heavy tow company and just suck up the charge as a cost of doing business. If you got it cheap it's worth the price of admission to the Big Truck Club. Once you get it home you can have your way with it.
The people holding it prob want it gone and may not allow you to work on it where it sits.

jjb

What - No Pictures?

I posted a pic in the Auction wins 4/15 thread. I'll try to post some later.

It requites an EUC so it may be awhile before I am able to get it. I was going to try and call to see if they will let me go up and try to get it running in the meantime. I doubt it but its worth a shot.

jjb

Here are some pics. They are from GovPlent as I'm still waiting on the EUC to clear.

Can't to play with the crane.

Anyone else have one that can give me any tips or known issues to look out for?

459472_6002_0_0018.jpg459472_6002_159_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That HEMTT looks nice, and the price was right.

Sweet! It's on my wish list. I love the 8V82!!!
There was a GL auction for a 8v92 recently that had a question and answer listed on the auction page that was something like "how many cylinders does this engine have?" GL's response was "9 Cylinders." An error, I'm sure, but I thought it was fairly amusing and thought, wow, a 9V92!

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would rather drive a HEMTT then a HET any day.
I have to disagree with you on that Kinder, Gentler Ron.
I drove cargo and fuel HEMMT's in Korea and other that the 70+ top speed I find no redeeming qualities in the HEMMT.
They ride like an oxcart, there is almost no room in the cab and there is a steep learning curve on steering and getting used to sitting ahead of the front wheels.
They do have a cool factor and I'd love to have one if I could justify the cost.
For comfort and cool factor I'll take the HETT every time.

NEIOWA

Anyone know if the crane has a civilian counterpart? Trying to figure out the weight of the crane, base and jack assembly.

jjb

The HEMTT finally came home today after 2 months waiting for the EUC.

It was missing the fuel pump and all of the fittings and bolts but I was able to source one locally and get everything else I needed.

After getting it installed, which was not as simple as it first looked, we pressurized the fuel tank and found out the fuel supply line was dry rotted in a few places.
We put a bandaid on it and were able to get her to start.

After a few minutes I went to shut it off and nothing happened. It seems that nothing electrical in the cab is working. We were able to start it with the switch though.

Anyone have any ideas where I should look? All of the wiring in the cab looks to be in very good shape. I don't see any frayed or broken wires anywhere.

Could it be a bad alternator and batteries? We slaved it off of a 5 ton to start it but removed the slave once it started.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks