• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a M977 HEMTT in Ft. Drum

jjb

Any update? Are you going to register insure and drive on the road?
It turned out to be a bigger project than I had hoped. I do plan to drive it on the road when I get it running.

After I got it running I found it had water/glycol (antifreeze) in the oil. Lots of water, like 15 gallons.

Since the used oil analysis GP did said water/glycol in the oil were Negligible I decided to file a dispute and see if they would make good.
That process took awhile and in the end they did make good and I was happy with the resolution options they offered.
I had to wait for that process to be completed before I did any work on the truck as they said a total buyback may be their only offer.

We took it apart and found a cracked liner and a bent valve (most likely from being overheated). Since I didn't know the history of the engine and a full rebuild would not be cheap I started searching for a new/used one. A friend found one on ebay that was actually a military rebuild. I was able to get it for a very good price (much less than an an in frame would cost). This past Sunday I was able to get it installed but there is still some work to do before I will be able to start it. I think it was an MK48 engine so its a little different than the HEMTT. I have a few parts that need to be swapped from the old to the new so it will work with the HEMTT.

So far its going much better than I thought when I first found the water in the oil.

JohnnyBM931A2

It turned out to be a bigger project than I had hoped. I do plan to drive it on the road when I get it running.

After I got it running I found it had water/glycol (antifreeze) in the oil. Lots of water, like 15 gallons.

Since the used oil analysis GP did said water/glycol in the oil were Negligible I decided to file a dispute and see if they would make good.
That process took awhile and in the end they did make good and I was happy with the resolution options they offered.
I had to wait for that process to be completed before I did any work on the truck as they said a total buyback may be their only offer.

We took it apart and found a cracked liner and a bent valve (most likely from being overheated). Since I didn't know the history of the engine and a full rebuild would not be cheap I started searching for a new/used one. A friend found one on ebay that was actually a military rebuild. I was able to get it for a very good price (much less than an an in frame would cost). This past Sunday I was able to get it installed but there is still some work to do before I will be able to start it. I think it was an MK48 engine so its a little different than the HEMTT. I have a few parts that need to be swapped from the old to the new so it will work with the HEMTT.

So far its going much better than I thought when I first found the water in the oil.
Glad to hear that things are working out for the better :)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to know more about the process and how they handled it if you don't mind. I'm use to the old "GL way or the highway" approach.

Shark Bait

Save the MK48 leftovers. One one us MK owners may need em.
Keep us up to speed with your progress, and pictures.

Dave

jjb

I'd like to know more about the process and how they handled it if you don't mind. I'm use to the old "GL way or the highway" approach.
The process was very simple. At first I thought I was out of luck but then I remembered the used oil analysis as it was the only reason I even considered bidding on a non-running vehicle. I called them up and told them what the deal was and they sent me all of the paperwork to start the dispute process. I filled it out and sent in in the same day. 3 days later they sent an inspector out to looks at the truck and take oil samples.

It took a week or so until I heard from them with an offer. We went back and forth a few times before I got a deal I was happy with.

All in all it was a very pleasant experience. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and helpful.

jjb

Save the MK48 leftovers. One one us MK owners may need em.
Keep us up to speed with your progress, and pictures.

Dave
Are you in need of anything specific? I'm not 100% sure the new engine was from an MK48. I am basing that on pictures I have seen of MK48's.

Unfortunately things have been going so fast I haven't had a chance to take many pictures.

I am hoping to have it running in a week or 2.

DrillerSurplus

These might help. The basic engine for both is 8087-7899.

The MK48 uses 8087-7899 DALVS for the part number and the NSN is 2815-01-186-7251.

The information for the HEMTT is a little confusing even in the TM's.
The older HEMTT uses 1768110 for the part number and the NSN is 2815-01-257-3879. However, the part number is often listed as 5705718 which is actually for engine & container.
The newer HEMTT A2 or A2R1 uses 3041219 for the part number corresponding to the DDEC IV 8083-7493 version of the 8V92. It seems the NSN stays the same - 2815-01-257-3879.
The HEMTT A4's use the Cat C15 engine.

Visually it is pretty easy. The MK48 turbo is way to the rear and there is no fan. The HEMTT turbo is towards the front and the engine is set up to run the fan on the front of the engine.

View attachment Engine Pages from MK48-TM-08780B-24P_Parts 2004.pdfView attachment Engine Pages from TM-9-2320-279-24P-1 M984 HEMTT.pdf

Shark Bait

Are you in need of anything specific? I'm not 100% sure the new engine was from an MK48. I am basing that on pictures I have seen of MK48's.

Unfortunately things have been going so fast I haven't had a chance to take many pictures.

I am hoping to have it running in a week or 2.
Not anything specific, the MK's seem to be a limited item. So any part is welcomed. Lol

jjb

Not anything specific, the MK's seem to be a limited item. So any part is welcomed. Lol
I have brand new exhaust manifolds and all of the exhaust pipes from them to the turbo including the y pipe. I have a used turbo too. (I am using the new one on the HEMTT)

I also have new turbo oil feed and return lines, the turbo adapter that bolts to the blower.

If you are interested in anything let me know.