• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an LMTV M1081 out of Ft. Bragg

jjb

It was listed as "The engine could not be started. The batteries are missing.". Has anyone else ever won one listed this way?

I'm hoping that it will start up with a fresh set of batteries.

If you read my previous posts my luck buying non-runners hasn't been that great. :)

Hopefully it will be delivered next week.

580722_6002_159_0001.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score, I had my eyes on those for a war pig build. Hopefully that one is not missing the trans controller. My 1078 was listed as a non-runner, all it needed was a slave start an some diesel in the dry tank. Good luck!

jjb

With some batts fluids and a little coaxing they usually start and are fine.
Hopefully you guys are right but I went back and looked at a few pictures one is worrying me. Especially with my luck.

This picture is from GP not the best quality but that looks scary.

Anyone have an idea what's going on there?

uploadfromtaptalk1456585576100.jpg

scottmandu

Hopefully you guys are right but I went back and looked at a few pictures one is worrying me. Especially with my luck.

This picture is from GP not the best quality but that looks scary.

Anyone have an idea what's going on there?

View attachment 610562
Looks like the governor/fuel unit was partially removed. IT could indicate other problems.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Felix and his gang (GovPlanet) do basic trouble shooting and maintenance to attempt to get every truck running. That has included buying batteries to install on trucks (2 will run an LMTV). I'm saying your luck hasn't gotten much better. If they say it doesn't run... It needs work.

scottmandu

Interesting how one "wins" and auction. I always though it as "loosing" at an auction because I was the dumb guy who was willing to pay the most for something unknown.

Lmtv772

Banned
I agree, they are great deals. The irony is that everyone thinks they go and flip a switch and dive her home (cuz it's like an adventure)- then they find out that flat bed towing is really really expensive.
Good luck to the OP

jjb

I agree, they are great deals. The irony is that everyone thinks they go and flip a switch and dive her home (cuz it's like an adventure)- then they find out that flat bed towing is really really expensive.
Good luck to the OP
Never even gave a thought to driving it home. Not worth the risk. I always expect that the truck needs some work but hope that it's not something major like a bad motor.

Lmtv772

Banned
Never even gave a thought to driving it home. Not worth the risk. I always expect that the truck needs some work but hope that it's not something major like a bad motor.
I say wait until you get the truck there , maybe it's something really simple to fix. Although these trucks are in the parts-picker's lane for a reason. It usually mean that motor pool looked through the TM and didn't find the problem in accordance to the TM.

Good thinking on having her transported, not everyone who's on the prowl is as wise as you are.

Come on we had that HEMTT engine out and in in two hours. Hope this isn't a pattern for you. The rest of the truck looks great. Good luck and let me know when it comes in I will give you a hand getting it going.

jjb

Come on we had that HEMTT engine out and in in two hours. Hope this isn't a pattern for you. The rest of the truck looks great. Good luck and let me know when it comes in I will give you a hand getting it going.
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid ever doing that again. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when it gets here.

jjb

The truck came monday and what I thought was a crack in the engine front housing ended up being some grease and dirt. Checked all of the fluids and put some fresh batteries. It started for a second and died. Tried a couple more times and same thing. Looked in the fuel tank and it was almost empty. By then it was almost dark so I didn't get a chance to do anything else until today.

Put some fuel in and pump the primer until it was firm and she fired right up. Engine and trans seems to work as expected no major issues.

I did find that the parking brakes are not working. I think the valve in the cab may be bad. When air pressure drop the spring brakes engage and hold strong. I also noticed that the brake pedal is not fully returning causing the brakes to stay partly engaged (can't find anything about that in the TM's). The return spring is there and looks fine. I'm not sure if its the pivot pin or something in the valve.

Also, the air/hydraulic system for cab tilt etc. is inoperable. Need to look at the TM for troubleshooting that.

Anyone have any insight on the brake issues?

Other than that I am happy with the truck. All of the troop seats and rails were there which didn't appear that way in the GP pictures.

I need a ladder, new head lights (hooked up the batteries wrong the first time), and a few other minor things.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the pedal does not feel right and there is no obvious signs of physical damage to the assembly then the treadle valve is probably bad.

jjb

If the pedal does not feel right and there is no obvious signs of physical damage to the assembly then the treadle valve is probably bad.
The pedal seems fine and the brakes appear fine. Haven't checked them individually yet.

Is the treadle rebuildable?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks