• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an M109 today (Pick up underway 10 OCT)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Won an M109 today

It will be getting bunks and workspace as well as a commo spot to add in a HF radio. I will also add a platform on the back like the General Officers had in Desert Storm. It is a clean truck and why they never put a heater in the cab while having an ether start is another question. I did a lot of work in this and expando vans over my years in the Army and I have always wanted one and this one looked too good to pass up.

Thanks for the comments we will have to see more as we go along.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Won an M109 today

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I will also add a platform on the back like the General Officers had in Desert Storm.
I'm not familiar with those platforms. Do you have a link or a picture?

I didn't know that you're a ham, too. You get bonus points for adding HF gear to your van! ;)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Won an M109 today

I do not have a photo of the platforms but they were hinged below the door and foulded up against the rear bulkhead. They had adjustable legs that supported them and if they dug the van in it allowed the General to step out and onto the ground next to the trench. I have a HF in the duece I will have to get some pictures of the install but that will have to wait till I get home.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Are you going to use civilian ham gear, or a military HF rig? Just curious... you can still have some bonus points even if it's a Yaecomwood. :D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Well the EUC and my picture are on their way to GL lets see how long it takes. I would think from comments here that the turn signal switch was stolen from this truck with it being in such good shape otherwise. Is anyone parting out a duece that has a servicable turn switch they want to sell me?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think some of them did. I am not too worried I have winches on the deuce and M818. I am hoping to have my son Christian pick it up as soon as the truck invoice is ready. I do not want any more of it stolen

dk8019

So I bought one as well out of the same lot, to do exactly the same thing. :D

Pictures attached.

So far I've been able to pick out it's missing the ladder or steps into the back part of the van, but it does have cab heat which is a plus I suppose. Anything else I should know about it? EUC paper work going in this morning, then lots of waiting, mine too came in right under my max bid, $20 dollars or so, but I did get if for just a bit over $1800. Seems like a good deal to me so far.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very nice brother of mine and it looks like you do not have the ladder from the shot inside. I am hoping the EUC clears soon as I do not want any more of what I paid for walking away like the turn signal switch did.

It really upsets me to see that as well as that mangled CUCV in the can this be fixed thread. Are you planning on driving it home?

dk8019

That's currently the plan, I'll have another support vehicle along with me just in case, but I would like to move it back to Ohio under it's own power. Is your son driving your's back, and if so how far?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love the brotherhood we have on this site!

Christian will be driving it back it will be about a hundred miles or less. I ran my first duece home on a basic PMCS check almost 400 miles with not one issue and it got almost 13 miles to the gallon.

Wear a tan T shirt if you are not putting tags on it keep it under the max RPM no matter how much you want to go faster and it should take care of you. Read the post about the windows when driving so you do not have any issues there. Your truck looks to be in great shape and should give you many smiles and miles of pleasure and pride.

dk8019

David,

Thanks for the advice, I have some shirts from my brother-in-law whose in the guard, so I should be set. I think I can get a temp tag for it before hand here in Ohio, a bill of sale might get me a registration and a tag. Thanks for the heads on the windows, there's a good bit to learn about these trucks. I have my manuals printed out from the site ready to go, I've review the lists that everyone has for starting the truck up etc, and I think I'm in good shape there as well. My brother-in-law has his certification from the guard for this vehicle so his help will be great!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Wolf.Dose said:
Why you want to use biodiesel? Any electric transformer station cooling oil also will work as well on these old stile Diesel engines (not siutable for common rail systems). Usually the electric companys are happy to get rid of the stuff for little or no money. Do not forget to make it thinner with diesel fuel or JP5 (if you like the smell).
If you use biodiesel, your oil change intervalls have to be cut to one third of the normal changing mileage interval. You should install a fuel heating device, especially in areas with low temperatures and the visiable smoke will increase by about 10 to 15 %.
Used motor oil has (like any motor oil) a higher cetan number than any available diesel fuel. But the wear and metal debris from the engines will harm your engine (no matter weather of a gas or diesel engine). So used motor oil must go thru a very good filter to get all the debris out!
Actually, Biodiesel will not smoke more than normal diesel. In fact it will smoke less it has a built in oxidizer. As for temperature problems, you can actually run Bio-diesel with Wintronex up -10 or -20 degrees F. Oil consumption should be the same as with normal diesel fuel as well.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I really will put about any filtered fuel that will work into the mix as long as it does not have compatability issues the tank will most likely be a collection device with a power filter hooked up on the tongue.

dk8019

So seems GL is on the ball!

Submission of EUC Pending 09/08/2008
EUC revisions needed 09/10/2008
EUC sent to Battle Creek 09/10/2008

I got the notice today, and sent the revisions back via email right away. I followed the advice here and on GL's site, overall I'm impressed! Now we will see how long it takes at Battle Creek.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I pulled the trigger on one as well. Those are 2 beauties for sure guys. With the prices on the M109A3's right now, they're hard to pass up. I finaly found what I'd been looking for in one too. 1965 with Box and cab heaters, Air O Matic, air shift. $1400 before GL's cut. 11,000 miles. It's at Hill AFB in UT.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very Nice and my EUC was worked today as well and I expect it to go to Battle Creek tomorrow. Funny my M1031 from the week before is still not processed. We need to start seeing all the M109's showing their pretty faces here.