• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

won some wheels/tires on GL; tell me I didn't screw up...

WRMorrison

What a way to start my first real post...lol. In a sort of knee-jerk action, I bid on (and won) 6 of these wheels/tires from a GL auction moments ago. I didn't do enough research ahead of time and I was hoping that a member here could tell me if I can mount these on my stock deuce ('65 M109A3 sans van body). I realize that I'll need to either use an adapter plate or weld in new centers, but are the wheels and tires feasible for use? Has anyone else here done the same thing? If by chance they won't work, it would be cheaper for me to chalk it up as a loss and not retrieve them versus spending $600 in fuel to go get them.

I wish that GL could post detailed descriptions of the items they're selling such as which vehicle these were originally on (maybe they do, but I didn't see it); that would make the items much easier to research.

Also, this is my first auction win... I plan to call to verify, but is it possible to have a carrier (such as UPS, DHL, etc.) pick up my items and ship them to me versus picking them up myself? I'm aware that they link a few different companies (I assume, affiliates of GL) to handle shipping, but perhaps I can get a better rate from someone else. I apologize for not researching this topic fully beforehand, but I'm a bit frantic at the moment...

Thanks in advance,
WRM

Tire size is 15.50/80R20

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

I think you will find that they are too tall to run on the rear tandems, there is not enough distance between the rear axles for tires that tall and they will rub each other. If your truck has been bobbed or converted to 4x4 instead of 6x6, you could use them. They are also too wide for the stock wheels and that lug pattern is ten, not six. They should be easy to sell if you so desire. Glen

WRMorrison

Sorry for not providing enough information above, but this will be mounted on a bobbed deuce, and I'll be welding in new centers on the wheels. I was just curious if anyone else has used this combination with satisfactory results and if these wheels have sufficient or excessive backspacing to work without issue.

-WRM

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you have your feet wet now. Welcome to the Club. The only thing to do now, is look for the right truck, to go with the tires and wheels.

WRMorrison

Well, you have your feet wet now. Welcome to the Club. The only thing to do now, is look for the right truck, to go with the tires and wheels.
:lol: Already have the right truck, just hope the tires and wheels can be used. Next time around, I'll look for tires that I can't use so that I have a reason for another truck...lol.

Welcome , you may want to visit this thread How to post pictures-a tutorial . The site owners perfer you post pictures directly to the site . There has been a problem in the past with links going dead .
Thanks for the tip!

-WRM

searls84

I think you will find that they are too tall to run on the rear tandems, there is not enough distance between the rear axles for tires that tall and they will rub each other. If your truck has been bobbed or converted to 4x4 instead of 6x6, you could use them. They are also too wide for the stock wheels and that lug pattern is ten, not six. They should be easy to sell if you so desire. Glen
My brother, fsearls92, asked almost the same question yesterday, "will they fit" and received a different answer.... Just thought I would add to the discussion.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?107944-15-5-80x20-will-they-fit-on-a-deuce

eagle4g63

Just to clear something up........the 15.50 tire is 46.6" tall........IT WILL FIT ON A DEUCE, even with BOTH axles........they are the same as a 395.....I am 100% sure of this.

Now as to the original question of whether that particular combo will work..........I don't know, you will have to take one and set it in place as though it was on the truck with just a flat adapter plate and see where it puts the tire so you can see about the back spacing.

Of course the tires being used in tandem(on a 6x6) is a mute point if you are going to bob the truck.........what I think most people think about is that a 14.00 series tire is 49" tall......however the 14.50(used on the A3's) is only 43" tall.......this is the same point with the 15.50(46.6") it is actually smaller than a 14.00(49"), so it leads to confusion.

I keep posting this page when questions about tire size comes up in hopes it will get to enough people to clear up the tire size issue. Have a look: http://www.militarytires.com/

searls84

Thanks for the link eagle4g63! I hadn't come across that site yet. I agree with the back spacing being key to a proper fit....Anyone have a clue as to what those rims went on?

WRM, where did you pick those up? I was looking at the exact same setup that was up for auction today at Hooks,TX.

Last edited:

WRMorrison

where did you pick those up? I was looking at the exact same setup that was up for auction today at Hooks,TX.
I won these from Hooks today; $100 for 6. They're worn, but appear to have a lot of life left. There was another lot of the same that went for $35; thought about bidding on that one too, but didn't want to commit before I found out if they would work or not. Once they arrive, I'll see if the backspacing will work and if so, design/machine some weld-in adapters (a benefit of being a manufacturing engineer in an aerospace facility...lol). Hopefully the wheels can be adapted so that I can upgrade to 16.00 XZL's when the time comes.

-WRM

212sparky

I won these from Hooks today; $100 for 6. They're worn, but appear to have a lot of life left. There was another lot of the same that went for $35; thought about bidding on that one too, but didn't want to commit before I found out if they would work or not. Once they arrive, I'll see if the backspacing will work and if so, design/machine some weld-in adapters (a benefit of being a manufacturing engineer in an aerospace facility...lol). Hopefully the wheels can be adapted so that I can upgrade to 16.00 XZL's when the time comes.

-WRM
got a picture?

searls84

I just noticed the NSN info posted by GL on the item's page; it says that the "end item identification" is for "weapon system category trailer, M1076." So, I assume this is the trailer:

-WRM
That makes sense, I've been out to Hooks to pick up tires a number of times and they have loads of those trailers that they are rebuilding.

Tornadogt

What a way to start my first real post...lol. In a sort of knee-jerk action, I bid on (and won) 6 of these wheels/tires from a GL auction moments ago. I didn't do enough research ahead of time and I was hoping that a member here could tell me if I can mount these on my stock deuce ('65 M109A3 sans van body). I realize that I'll need to either use an adapter plate or weld in new centers, but are the wheels and tires feasible for use? Has anyone else here done the same thing? If by chance they won't work, it would be cheaper for me to chalk it up as a loss and not retrieve them versus spending $600 in fuel to go get them.

I wish that GL could post detailed descriptions of the items they're selling such as which vehicle these were originally on (maybe they do, but I didn't see it); that would make the items much easier to research.

Also, this is my first auction win... I plan to call to verify, but is it possible to have a carrier (such as UPS, DHL, etc.) pick up my items and ship them to me versus picking them up myself? I'm aware that they link a few different companies (I assume, affiliates of GL) to handle shipping, but perhaps I can get a better rate from someone else. I apologize for not researching this topic fully beforehand, but I'm a bit frantic at the moment...

Thanks in advance,
WRM

Tire size is 15.50/80R20
Humm...... I had 2 sets of those Winning bids at 11:00 this morning I thought for sure I wound get for 25.00 bucks... some day i'll catch you guys slipping and get a few set out for a min. bid.... nice job you can't go wrong, even if you can't find a way to make the wheel fit the tires alone you got a great deal...

Tornadogt

Great deal??:???:: wheels are 160lbs ea., 3-pc lock-ring... and tires most probably made before 2K...

G.

for 100.00 bucks I think so.... just my opinion and anther set went for $35.00 if i was around the computer at closing I would of bid... and like I said I was biding just didnt get back in time...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks