• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

won't back up

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a truck that has been used quite a bit latley. Have not had any problems with it . Now all of sudden it will not back up. It goes into reverse and will move about 3 feet and then binds up and wont move any further.

Goes forward with no problems. I have not checked anything. Weather just to bad to mess with it today. I suspect some sort of brake binding. perhaps the emergeny brake. anybody got any ideas?

Chuck

Capt.Marion

Emergency brake. They will get where they won't bind when going forward, but will lock right up when you attempt to go backwards.

wsucougarx

I had the exact same issue w/a truck. But mine was intermittent. Sometimes it would back up 40 ft w/out problems. Then try backing up 2 ft then boom, lockup. On another truck when I would have it in low and backing up it would lockup the tranny. I was told that this is a normal occurrence in deuces when using low grear in reverse. Not sure

tm america

probably the brakes in a wheel put the transfer case in neutral see if it binds in rev if it does its probably the e brake or a bearing in the trans thats blown up and is acting like a sprag .if its free with the transfer case in neutral look at the brakes it the wheels

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was told that this is a normal occurrence in deuces when using low grear in reverse. Not sure

I would say that's incorrect. If that were normal, you can bet an OM or TM would cover it.

Also, to the OP, a broken upper brake shoe spring can cause this.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at TM 9-2320-361-20P , page 8-3, for the parking brake. Look at your truck close, I would expect you will find you are missing one or more of the 3 springs.(seen it sever times, same symptoms)

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to checking on the truck. The #3 spring or return spring has fallen off the emergency brake. This is what was causing the binding on reverse. I tied the arm up with some twine and have been able to back the truck up.

Anybody got a spring or know where to find one. i'm not sure what size it should be. I'm sure I can make something up.

Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bought new replacement springs from Saturn Surplus and Memphis Equipment.

Grey Wolf

Long story short jack up the rear end roll the tires forward until you hear a couple of clicks. While its in neutral and you have blocked the front tires. If it moves forward it has nothing to do with the Emergency brake but more with resetting the "positrac"

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long story short jack up the rear end roll the tires forward until you hear a couple of clicks. While its in neutral and you have blocked the front tires. If it moves forward it has nothing to do with the Emergency brake but more with resetting the "positrac"
Could you explain how to reset the "positrac" in a Deuce ?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Could you explain how to reset the "positrac" in a Deuce ?
I'd be happy with hearing how you reset the positrac in anything. ..........

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk 2

Grey Wolf

I had backed up and turned and the way it was explained to me was when I pulled forward I hadn't gone far enough to get the rear axles back in sync. So that all wheels turned together in reverse. And it locked up. Positrac was just a quick explanation given to me to help explain it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks