• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

DanM7890

NDT you are the man!

Question, when you hit the master power switch are those green lights supposed to come on? Because on mine they don't light up.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT you are the man!

Question, when you hit the master power switch are those green lights supposed to come on? Because on mine they don't light up.
Green lights as in on the transmission controller? Yes, if you follow along in the thread, that is the problem we had to overcome. Now sounds like you too. If your diagnostics lead you to believe your controller is bad, and Suprman can't save the day like he did for us, send your controller to transmissioninstruments.com.

coachgeo

Green lights as in on the transmission controller? Yes, if you follow along in the thread, that is the problem we had to overcome. Now sounds like you too. If your diagnostics lead you to believe your controller is bad, and Suprman can't save the day like he did for us, send your controller to transmissioninstruments.com.
Talk about tranny selector etc. starts at post #124 which is on page 13 on my puter screen

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some follow on information. You will recall that the transmission ECU was burned by a possible short somewhere. The only bare wire I could find was from the transmission to instrument panel harness connector. A wire had come loose from the contact in the connector. To repair this, a contact removal tool was needed to remove the old remaining contact, and a new contact pin to reinstall. I was able to determine what parts I needed by looking at the connector and determining the mfgr (AMP) and the connector p/n 206037-1. This info is not in the TMs. Then, I did a search for this p/n in the Newark Electronics online catalog. Newark is a trusted supplier, but there are others. Finding the connector, I was able to determine the tool p/n and the pin p/n from the catalog. Now a proper repair can be done. Let me stress how important it is to properly repair the various connectors found on the FMTVs. Jerry-rigged repairs have no place on a complicated truck like the FMTVs.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's how it needs to be
My problem is going to be having NDT 4 hours away after I get the truck home and having to figure it out myself. Fortunarely Keith_J is close and he's a wiz at electrical too. Me, I'm a "give me the new part and I'll put it on" kind of guy without the sleuthing ability.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read this whole thread. mkcoen, you've got a bunch of good friends in the "green iron" business! I'm thinking twice about thinking of bidding on an LMTV after this thread... Not because I wouldn't want one. Not because I couldn't use a military sized pickup truck. I just don't think there are any guys like NDT in my neck of the woods! Heck, I even got excited over the tire story interwoven in this thread.

Great job guys!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
high speed gears and ac install this summer , I should be good to go !
I'm starting the AC install as soon as I get the truck home. I'm still debating the gear change. I think it's a no brainer for the A1s but wonder if it's that beneficial with the underpowered 3116.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I don't need to go faster than 57 in my lmtv. Compared to driving the older mil trucks the lmtv 3116 dosnt feel underpowered at all. I like the low range pulling power which you would loose with a gear change. If I need to go fast I have other vehicles for that.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't need to go faster than 57 in my lmtv. Compared to driving the older mil trucks the lmtv 3116 dosnt feel underpowered at all. I like the low range pulling power which you would loose with a gear change. If I need to go fast I have other vehicles for that.
"Underpowered" compared to the C7, or at least the reports I've read. I was perfectly happy with upper 50s in my 923A2 so I'm sure I'll be happy with the LMTV. I do have a little concern about speed drop if I get a M1082 to pull. I'd really like to build a pop-up style camper in one and head to Big Bend or Arches National Park or any other place where I could drive the 1078 around and camp at the same time.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 3126 and C7 do have more power. And the 3116 could be bumped up a bit by a cat dealer. If I ever needed to replace the engine in my m1078 I would swap in a 290hp from a 6x6 though. The truck I drive has a recent reman engine. Compared to the other m1078s I have had, my truck is noticeably peppier. I think the throttle cable stretches a bit over time and could benefit from re adjustment. It's been discussed in other threads about not getting full throttle engagement with the pedal all the way down. The gas pedals are a poor design to begin with they all bend at the center. A1 trucks have a sturdy cast electronic pedal. I have an A1 pedal from a parts truck I was thinking about modifying it and attaching my linkage to it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, next topic on this thread, OVM to get the truck ready for a 225 mile run. The TMs cover this well, but one item that always poses a problem is the fire extinguisher. Since becoming a firefighter, these usually forgotten items have a renewed importance to me. Problem is, which type and brand extinguisher fits the bracket already on the truck? I have found that lots of times, the brackets are specific to a certain mfgr of extinguisher. On mkcoen's truck, this was not the case. His truck has a universal adjustable 5 Lb ABC extinguisher bracket that had retention straps made of worm drive hose clamp material. I installed an Amerex 5 lb ABC extinguisher. My truck has a non-adjustable bracket, and the Ansul Sentry 5 lb ABC fit it fine.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks