• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you're home safe. Looking forward to seeing the new toy.

Nice NOS troop seats are in your near future. ;)

Cheers

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the updates mkcoen! We are all glad the recovery went well. I'm still subscribed for additional photos and discussion as you get acquainted with the truck.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been spending the day recovering from the recovery so didn't get much done other than look at the truck. I have identified some deficiencies that weren't really obvious from the poor GovPlanet photos. It was nice to see all of the door handles, both inside and outside, were there and functioning as well as the window cranks.

First on the list of broken but not obvious is the driver's seat adjuster. The knob is broken off. It's not that big of a deal as I can still move it and adjust the seat but would like to find a seat frame (only way I can see to fix it) to replace what's broken. The driver's seat back is toast but I think I can take the one off the middle seat (which is missing the brackets to bolt to the floor) and replace that.

Number 2 on the hit parade is the cover for the hydraulic controls. The hinge section on the cover is mostly missing. If I can find that by itself it can be replaced but may have to buy the whole cover to get what I need.

Also missing seem to be all of the plugs in the cab floor. It was kind of nice having a breeze come up through the floor while driving with it in the mid-80s yesterday but once I get the AC in I don't really want to be losing cool air or letting hot air in through the floor.

Also gone are both the front shackles. Piece here and a piece there and before you know it you're talking real money.

IMG_4160.jpgIMG_4161.jpgIMG_4159.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

First on the list of broken but not obvious is the driver's seat adjuster. The knob is broken off. It's not that big of a deal as I can still move it and adjust the seat but would like to find a seat frame (only way I can see to fix it) to replace what's broken. The driver's seat back is toast but I think I can take the one off the middle seat (which is missing the brackets to bolt to the floor) and replace that.
I don't know if this helps, mkcoen; but I buy some specialty items sometimes from this hardware catalog called McFeely's:

- And they have some jig handles and knobs that maybe you could use if you can't find OEM replacements.

Here's a link

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if this helps, mkcoen; but I buy some specialty items sometimes from this hardware catalog called McFeely's:

- And they have some jig handles and knobs that maybe you could use if you can't find OEM replacements.

Here's a link
Thanks! I've used them in the past on woodworking projects. The problem here is that not just the knob is missing but the attach point is broken off flush with the slide mechanism. There is no place to attach any thing.

Another Ahab

Thanks! I've used them in the past on woodworking projects. The problem here is that not just the knob is missing but the attach point is broken off flush with the slide mechanism. There is no place to attach any thing.
Nothing is ever just plain simple and easy.

It seems to just always be like that doesn't it!?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple and easy is just replacing it. Of course finding one usually isn't simple and easy.
'M35 Adam' has some seats removed from a scrapper MTV. The seats are not very good but bet that adjustment handle is good. Adam has a recent advert for an M-105 (today) that would help locate him easily.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to get one thing knocked off the list before having to head to town today. The driver seat back was trashed. The covering was completely rotted off and the foam was disintegrating. The middle jump seat appeared to be new but is missing the mount brackets and since I don't foresee installing it thought I'd try the back from it on the driver seat. There are 2 bolts holding the jump seat to the frame (13mm in case anyone was wondering) so easy enough to take off. The driver seat only has 1 bolt holding the back on. It is a bit different due to the seat adjuster and while the jump seat works it's not an exact fit. Any way it's better than it was and I don't have rotted foam flaking off on my back now.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tail lights were an easy fix. Just followed the -10 troubleshooting section which looked first at circuit breakers CB 43, CB 44, and CB 67. All looked okay but I still pulled them out, checked for corrosion, then reinstalled them. Bingo! Tail lights are now working.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you guys pulling all the beakers ? If so may I suggest putting some dielectric on the prongs .
I actually just pulled the ones associated with the TM Troubleshooting guide. I will follow your suggestion going forward though. I'm hoping to keep electrical issues to a minimum as that's definitely not one of my strong suits.

Another Ahab

Tail lights were an easy fix. Just followed the -10 troubleshooting section which looked first at circuit breakers CB 43, CB 44, and CB 67. All looked okay but I still pulled them out, checked for corrosion, then reinstalled them. Bingo! Tail lights are now working.
Did you "scrub" any of them clean; or did you just pop them all out and then pop them back in again?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you "scrub" any of them clean; or did you just pop them all out and then pop them back in again?
I just checked them. They are were still shiney so didn't see a need to go any further. It could have just been a matter of one of them vibrating a little out of the slot and not making a good connection. I went through the whole panel and made sure no other ones were tripped and all seated well.

1951M1078

Get one of the stainless steel welding brushes (small one) they work well. And don't leave anything what will brake down behind. I work in the marine business and that is what we have learned.Can you say SALT WATER ? LOL

Another Ahab

Get one of the stainless steel welding brushes (small one) they work well. And don't leave anything what will brake down behind. I work in the marine business and that is what we have learned.Can you say SALT WATER ? LOL
There's marine business...in AZ!?

That sounds kind of contrary. Like opening a seafood restaurant in the Rockies.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a late start on the truck today then the heat/humidity cut things short (80 w/85% humidity) but I got a few things done. First was driving the truck down to fill up the fuel. I've driven a lot of vehicles either in the military or ones I've owned and I have to say of all the wheeled vehicles this is by far the most fun to drive (APCs and Tanks are more fun but doubt I'll ever own one). I had intended to hit Wally World for diesel as they're the cheapest in town but pulled in and saw they jumped $.10 just after I was in town at noon so moved on over to HEB that was still at the old Wally World price.

After fueling up I came home and got started on some minor issues that were bugging me. The weatherstrip on the passenger door was hanging loose and not only causing a tripping hazard (and from that height that's really a hazard) but also getting pinched in the door and causing damage to the rubber. I few dabs of 3M weatherstip adhesive, some spring clamps, and a few minutes and it was good as new

IMG_4178.jpgIMG_4179.jpgIMG_4180.jpgIMG_4181.jpg

Next up on the hit parade was trying to make the left delineator panel look a little better. I was hoping to find a roll of 3M yellow reflective tape but the best I could do was some 1" wide strips that are for marking mailboxes. Well beggars can't be choosers so I went with that. It's far from perfect (I'm not a perfectionist just a that'sgoodenoughist) and I've never been very good at arts and crafts but it looks better than it did and adds several more inches of reflective material to the bottom of the mud flap.

IMG_4182.jpgIMG_4185.jpgIMG_4186.jpg

Then came time to mount the license plate. While you can register your FMV in Texas with just bumper numbers I've been pulled over twice and both times the LEO didn't understand, and didn't appear to want to understand, that you can run without plates. So since I would rather enjoy driving my truck versus sitting beside the road arguing over my right not to have a license plate I just get one. It's not that big of a deal to me and saves hassle down the road (literally and figuratively). Since I had the left mud flap off to fix the delineator panel I just went ahead and bolted the plate on using the same bolts.

IMG_4183.jpgIMG_4187.jpg

And lastly, in the all too distinct possibility that M813rc will have to tow me home at some point, I picked up some air hoses to throw in the storage box. Sorry Rory but you'll have to provide the electrical cable.

IMG_4189.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks