• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those delineator panels look great. It all looks good.
Thanks but it's a good 20 footer. Any closer and you can see little gaps between things. If I'd been able to get a 2" roll of the material it would have been a lot easier and I probably could have gotten it on line but after waiting so long for the truck I'm impatient to get things done on it.

Another Ahab

Thanks but it's a good 20 footer. Any closer and you can see little gaps between things. If I'd been able to get a 2" roll of the material it would have been a lot easier and I probably could have gotten it on line but after waiting so long for the truck I'm impatient to get things done on it.
Give yourself a break (and "Don't sweat the small s---"):

- You'll find the right tape or something someday, and THEN you can deal with your perfection bone.

Be good to yourself. You know?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, everything looks great. Remember, don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweatty things. :grd:
Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my hydraulic pump. That will be very sweaty and not something I'm well versed in doing. Better make sure to check the engine oil as it might be a while before I can get the cab to tilt again.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my hydraulic pump. That will be very sweaty and not something I'm well versed in doing. Better make sure to check the engine oil as it might be a while before I can get the cab to tilt again.
Here is how I did it on mine: Remove decontaminator bracket. Mark where the hoses go and remove. Remove the little screws that hold the cover on to the reservoir. Take the cover/pump assy into the workshop/kitchen table for repair.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I attempted to fix the hydraulic pump today. Emphasis on "attempted."

There's a guard on the pump and after spending more time just getting that off I should have shelved the project for a later date but pushed on any way. There are 4 very prominent bolt heads on top of the guard that, from what I could tell, have nothing to do with anything. They certainly aren't what holds the guard on. What does hold it on are 4 other bolts, 2 on the left and 2 on the right, which on the right are fairly easy to get to and take off. The ones on the left, especially the rear, require double jointed hands smaller than Donald Tr... - oops better not go there. Any hoo, you have to have some dexterity to get that left rear bolt off.

After getting the guard off there are several small bolts holding the cover to the reservoir and 4 allen head bolts attaching the pump to the cover. There are also 2 hoses - outlet and return. After removing all of these I pulled the pump off and unbolted the housing to get to the u-cup that needed replacing. That's when things went south. The pump is under a fair amount of spring pressure and as I loosened the bolts the housing shot across my work area scattering parts everywhere. So much for seeing how it came apart so I could reassemble it correctly. To get to the shaft with the u-cup you have to remove a spring clip and large nut. I have no spring clip pliers so went over to Keith_J's house to borrow a set. On returning home I discovered I don't have the dexterity (that which was needed for the guard) to get the spring clip off. Back to Keith_J's for expert removal help. While I was there he disassembled the rest of the pump and installed the new u-cup. It's very handy having friends that are more mechanically inclined than you and only live about 8 miles away.

With the reassembled part of the pump I came back home to put everything back together and see if that solved the pump problem. Unfortunately on reassembly I had a large, thick, rubber washer that fits over the plunger disintegrate in my hands. This isn't a simple "go to NAPA and get a new one" type of washer either. So now I have a hydraulic pump in pieces in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag while I wait for the replacement parts to arrive. This is why I like changing assemblies versus repairing them.

IMG_4199.jpgIMG_4200.jpgIMG_4201.jpgIMG_4204.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And lastly, in the all too distinct possibility that M813rc will have to tow me home at some point, I picked up some air hoses to throw in the storage box. Sorry Rory but you'll have to provide the electrical cable.
Gotcha covered, my friend! ;)

Cheers

Another Ahab

Well I attempted to fix the hydraulic pump today. Emphasis on "attempted."

That's when things went south. The pump is under a fair amount of spring pressure and as I loosened the bolts the housing shot across my work area scattering parts everywhere. So much for seeing how it came apart so I could reassemble it correctly..
That sounds like the perfect way to start a very bad day.

I'm wondering, did that incident trigger any spontaneous word associations from you at exactly that moment!?

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, is this seat back for a LMTV?

Couldn't find a nsn on it. I looked up the bottom cushion I got with it but it's for a HEMMETT for sure.
Tom, Thanks but that's not it. The LMTV is more boomerang shaped. The actual piece I'm looking for at the moment is the slide mechanism on the driver's side (actually think I've found one but not in hand yet) and a seat back which is closest way I can describe it, kind of shield shaped.

IMG_4205.jpgIMG_4206.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's when things went south. The pump is under a fair amount of spring pressure and as I loosened the bolts the housing shot across my work area scattering parts everywhere. So much for seeing how it came apart so I could reassemble it correctly.
Since I don't know if I lost anything when the pump pulled the Jack-in-the-Box number on me I decided to get a backup. I found an untested unit on eBay and figured worse case scenario I can see how it goes together correctly and reassemble mine. There's also the possibility since I have an extra u-cup and will have an extra piston bumper that I can also rebuild the back up and have a good unit in reserve if ever needed.

hydraulic pump.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting a little bored sitting around waiting for parts to arrive.

Took a look at the cargo cover. I was hoping to be able to take it to a boat top guy around the corner from the house but think it's a little too far gone for that. He'd probably have to re-sew the entire top and I'm willing to bet I could find a cover for less than that. Nearly every point the top snaps into the bows has separated from the cover. Also, looking closer at the bows there are a number of the push buttons that are missing. In some cases they stuck some bolts through the holes to hold things together and in other places they just left it the way it was.

IMG_4220.jpgIMG_4219.jpgIMG_4224.jpgIMG_4223.jpgIMG_4222.jpg

FloridaAKM

@ least you have the cage & cover. I passed on a NOS in the crate one complete @ the local DLA here 6 or 8 months ago & now I am kicking myself. Your turret cover also catches my eye big time! Keep the pictures & info coming!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an extra bow push button in the bed. It was confusing me what it was for: what is a straight piece of spring steel with a dowel piece on each end for??? You have to horseshoe it to put in the tube.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ least you have the cage & cover. I passed on a NOS in the crate one complete @ the local DLA here 6 or 8 months ago & now I am kicking myself. Your turret cover also catches my eye big time! Keep the pictures & info coming!
A NOS cover kit would certainly make good trading material. Keep your eye on the turret cover. If it stops raining around here for more than a few hours I'm going to start the paint job. Might as well start on top :)

There was an extra bow push button in the bed. It was confusing me what it was for: what is a straight piece of spring steel with a dowel piece on each end for??? You have to horseshoe it to put in the tube.
That's probably from one of the blank spots with no bolt. They might have felt it was too tough to horseshoe it so just dropped it on the deck. Can's see how it would pop out on it's own.

DanM7890

I had a **** of a time putting mine together by myself. Mine doesn't snap in all the poles just slide into each other. Than I had to put up the cover by myself, I felt like a man that day throwing that thing around.

Jelous of your turret cover!! I have the tarp model right now.

1951M1078

What is the O/D of the cover ? Maybe I could make something out of fiberglass and some core material ? Also how wide is the inside flange ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks