• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course the week after I buy my truck in LA one shows up in TX and sells for less. I'm comforted a bit by the fact it's missing a number of items (grille, batteries and box top, cargo bows/cover, spare tire) and it had a forklift driveshaft modification. I think factoring those things in mine was probably worth the $500 extra and greater distance to recover.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds to me you got the right truck! A bent driveshaft on these trucks could lead to other problems (based on the havoc original shafts caused). Any miles spent driving an LMTV (or your other favorite vehicle) adds time to your life!

m715mike

Congrats Mark. I know you've been waiting for this acquisition for a while now! You got a good looking truck!

I got busy at work and missed this thread... I'm subscribed now!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Mark. I know you've been waiting for this acquisition for a while now! You got a good looking truck!

I got busy at work and missed this thread... I'm subscribed now!
Well with all the rain figured you had the week off :). I should be able to make Mullins next year in style. Of course every time I say I'm coming life gets n the way.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Forklifting basically ruins the truck. You would have to get new driveshafts, new yokes and pinions on the tcase and the axle plus who knows what else could be damaged. Very easy to crack a t case or trans casing. Once a lmtv is forklifted under the driveshafts its a parts truck.

Of course the week after I buy my truck in LA one shows up in TX and sells for less. I'm comforted a bit by the fact it's missing a number of items (grille, batteries and box top, cargo bows/cover, spare tire) and it had a forklift driveshaft modification. I think factoring those things in mine was probably worth the $500 extra and greater distance to recover.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mullins? Next year??? Are you forgetting about the Fall event in November?
\

I'm still moving slow. Temple is much more low key with a lot of sitting and BSing versus running around like at Brent's. We'll see how I'm doing when it gets closer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pick up time is 1200 tomorrow. Wish I could be there to help pick it up myself but I'm semi-comatose after the 2200 mile round trip to AL and back to deliver the Goat. God Bless TexAndy for agreeing to help with the trip and also to the member that is picking up the M1078 tomorrow. Besides being blessed with my wonderful wife ( who insisted I buy the M1078 ) I have some of the best friends in the world. That includes M813rc who also offered to help recover the LMTV. He and Andy were also the ones the drove back to NC to help recover the Goat last year. Andy is also the one that made 2 trips to Cheyenne, WY with me to get the Goat tires (1st time) and Goat engine (2nd time). I should offer frequent driver miles :)

Doug Roberts

my non runner had to have a new alternator, two new batteries, fluids flushed and I was bookin it back to NC from Atlanta Ga . I have the high speed gears ( pumpkins ) off the MRAP and ac /heat units, compressors and mounting brackets, some door and lock parts. I'm certain I will sell what's left over after I attack my truck. Keep me in the loop. I am thinking this summer I will be on mine daily

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my non runner had to have a new alternator, two new batteries, fluids flushed and I was bookin it back to NC from Atlanta Ga . I have the high speed gears ( pumpkins ) off the MRAP and ac /heat units, compressors and mounting brackets, some door and lock parts. I'm certain I will sell what's left over after I attack my truck. Keep me in the loop. I am thinking this summer I will be on mine daily
You wouldn't happen to have the AC condenser brackets, would you? I have the compressor brackets and nearly everything else but cannot find the condenser brackets any where.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mkcoen.......hope you don't mind. I had a couple of questions and PM'd you.
Thanks
I sent you a response this morning. Welcome to the site and the madness.

Ahh great Mark!! You get a Gama Goat and inspired me to do so. And now you go and get this truck. Of which I don't yet have....hmmm....
So my evil plan is working. Next I'll get you convinced you need a HET :)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got word that the truck is off Ft Polk but things are delayed due to weather and detours. Unfortunately the cargo cover is ripped pretty bad. I was holding out hope that it was just some split seams and I might be able to get it sewn back together. Well if that's the worst news I can easily live with it. Maybe the good news is it'll start and drive with no major tinkering. As they say, hope springs eternal.

aleigh

Just glacing at your pics my hunch is the cargo cover can be repaired. On mine the sun ate out the thread before the vinyl and it is starting to rip along the seams just like yours. Mine is just a lot more together, but none of your edges seem tattered in what I saw. I've got a Juki and I plan to just re-sew mine but I haven't gotten it yet. Hoes and such are pretty easy to take care of with more tarp material and shoe glue. I use a tent floor from a DRASH I cut up for material.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks