• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, take a close look at those tires.

One of the guys at the TX Rally was just in Navasota and said there were no good tires left...
Thanks for the heads up. If they're all bad guess I can check Genesco.

EDIT: My reading comprehension skills are slipping (so much for that English degree). The tires I'm looking at are at Premier Metal in Brenham not Torres in Navasota.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it looks like the hydraulic leak might be related to the cab latch being completely MISSING.

Missing latch.jpg

Last edited:

aleigh

Wow! Take it easy on the brakes...

I'm always nervous about mine, especially when I tested it and realized the cab unlatched light in the dash does not actually work...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He picked an appropriate username since Suprman swooped in and saved the day! It's even green and not tan.

latch.jpg

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still in for the recovery run home. I have my Maggie Simpson steering wheel ready to go. :driver::driver:

And I still work for Waffle House food. Or are we picking a different chow hall theme for the LMTV, since it isn't yellow?

(For those who don't know, Waffle House is a running gag with our bunch, and kept our easily-entertained minds busy on the Goat recovery trip. We did seem to end up there a lot though).

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still in for the recovery run home. I have my Maggie Simpson steering wheel ready to go. :driver::driver:

And I still work for Waffle House food. Or are we picking a different chow hall theme for the LMTV, since it isn't yellow?

(For those who don't know, Waffle House is a running gag with our bunch, and kept our easily-entertained minds busy on the Goat recovery trip. We did seem to end up there a lot though).

Cheers
We're back in Texas now so needs to be something local. Whataburger Express? Nah.

I'm afraid whatever the food theme named truck is called that it won't be ready by Temple.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran into a very unusual situation attaching the AGM chargers. The two front 12 volt batteries show very low voltage. So I isolated them, and connected a AGM charger to each. The chargers showed "incorrect connection". Why is that, I thought, the batteries show 3 volts? I rechecked the voltage with the meter, it is 3 volts REVERSE POLARITY! Anyone see this before? I will connect the hot charger tomorrow and convince the batteries to leave their LGBT ways behind.

Pic is the two sisters, both '98's, resting together under cover for the first time ever probably. Uncovered MP unit markings, anyone make sense of them?

Attachments

aleigh

One can, believe it or not, charge a battery backwards. It is very, very bad for it. If they are reading backwards, find a way to discharge them flat and then run them the right way up.

scottmandu

Ran into a very unusual situation attaching the AGM chargers. The two front 12 volt batteries show very low voltage. So I isolated them, and connected a AGM charger to each. The chargers showed "incorrect connection". Why is that, I thought, the batteries show 3 volts? I rechecked the voltage with the meter, it is 3 volts REVERSE POLARITY! Anyone see this before? I will connect the hot charger tomorrow and convince the batteries to leave their LGBT ways behind.
It is possible to charge a battery in reverse polarity if it is completely drained.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It turns out that Premier doesn't have much in the way of tires left either. I got there and he only had 5 Goodyear MV/Ts and they were junk. He felt pretty bad about it so gave me a GREAT deal on some decent Michelin XMLs. I didn't' really want them but that's what's on the truck now and I guess it's easier to swap the spare out for a XML than find and switch 4 MV/Ts.

image.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more I thought about it the less I wanted to run the XMLs all the time so put a couple of bids on some NEW tires out of Hooks. Was hoping for 1 pallet and wound up with 3 so I'm going to have some spares :)

Hooks Tires2.jpgHooks Tires1.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Everyone looks at the Michelins and thinks of the older style Michelins with the same style tread pattern on the M939 trucks, which are outright dangerous to drive on. But the ones on the lmtvs are newer and even though they look the same I dont think they are bad to use. They are a bit more aggressive on the road compared to the Goodyears though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks