• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to our regularly scheduled program.

While it's not a major issue, not having the cover on the hydraulic controls was bugging me. I didn't think I'd be able to find the correct hinge and had been looking around for something that would work but wasn't original when, BOOM, I luck into an OE hinge.

The new one came with no holes drilled and about 2" too long so had to do some work to it but finding an oddball aluminum hinge just the right size was not going to happen so I'm happy with what I got. It was a bit of trial and error getting it on. I put the hinge on the cover the first time and then couldn't get the very small bolts started on the bottom of the controls so pulled the hinge back off and mounted it to the controls first then spent some time getting everything in position before tightening it all up. Now things are back the way they're supposed to be.

IMG_4296.jpgIMG_4297.jpgIMG_4299.jpgIMG_4298.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since OverDrive won't make the boxes to sell I'm going to have to make my own. Just ordered the items below (3 of the single plugs and 2 boxes plus the plug/USB port). I'm going to make the one with the USB port plus an additional single plug for the cab and then 2 plugs for the bed. I figure if I need a light in the bed I'll just get something that plugs into the power outlet instead of actually mounting it in a box as he did. My big thing is having my 12v fan in the bed when I'm camping. I can't sleep without air moving around and the important issue in the cab is keeping my phone charged. I think these should all cover that adequately.

Plug 2.jpgPlug.jpgProject Box.jpg

coachgeo

Great idea. If one cared; they do sell military wiring, special crimps etc. for such projects. It's little heavier duty stuff. Something to consider for those aiming toward Expedition Rigs/Bug out vehicle etc..

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea. If one cared; they do sell military wiring, special crimps etc. for such projects. It's little heavier duty stuff. Something to consider for those aiming toward Expedition Rigs/Bug out vehicle etc..
I've got plenty. Not my 1st rodeo. Actually if I listed all the MVs I've owned just in the last 10 years I'd probably bleed over onto another page. That's one of the reasons Warthog suggested contacting him when "the never going to sell" vehicle goes up for sale.

coachgeo

I've got plenty. Not my 1st rodeo.....
Sweet, you've got the opportunities to own so many. Got any previous threads you've done or can recommend that offer insight into working with military type wire and connectors? Would you be willing to do one if not? FWIW my post on using military spec wire etc. was not about your specific project at all. Was mostly aimed toward anyone who might want to copy this idea for an Expedition like rig. My bad for not wording well. Your box is going to be awesome. Like the capped USB charging ports it will have.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the wife picked out a name for the truck. With the cab tilted it looks an awful lot like a turtle so it has now been dubbed Donatello (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Guess I need to find some purple trim for it now.

image.jpg

One last picture shows the Soldier's Angels flag that I had displayed. My wife is on the Board of Directors for the charity. It's a great organization that helps both service members and their families. One of the things they do is send tons (and I literally mean TONS as in thousands of pounds) of coffee to deployed troops. It's a bit better than the instant stuff that comes in MREs.

IMG_4312.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have pics of an LMTV with IR panels mounted on the cab? I've got the holes where ones were but can't seem to find any photos.

agazza2

Mark, what is the bracket on the back of the cab on the right side? Is it a mount for a stobe or ?????? Most of the ones I seen with a strobe were magnetic and placed in the center on top of the cab. Can you provide a close up photo?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, what is the bracket on the back of the cab on the right side? Is it a mount for a stobe or ?????? Most of the ones I seen with a strobe were magnetic and placed in the center on top of the cab. Can you provide a close up photo?
I'll try and get one tomorrow. I was told it was the antennae mount for the MTS system. It is also magnetic with a circle of magnets on the top of the base vs on the bottom of the strobe.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have pics of an LMTV with IR panels mounted on the cab? I've got the holes where ones were but can't seem to find any photos.
These are actually called Combat Identification Panels but what they do is provide an IR signature when seen through thermal sights. Here's a pic with the panels on a HMMWV.

IR Panel.jpg

And here's a close up of one.

image.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Sargentwolf I was able to snag a pic of a 1078 with the panels installed! Unfortunately I thought if I got them for my truck I'd be rather unique but now it looks like someone else will be running around with them.

CIP Truck.jpg

Something else this truck has that I might emulate is the Gerry can brackets on both mud flaps. I know other guys have done that on their deuces and 939 series trucks but didn't know it was a unit modification as well.

CIP Truck2.jpg

Last edited:

Overdrive

Well since OverDrive won't make the boxes to sell I'm going to have to make my own. Just ordered the items below (3 of the single plugs and 2 boxes plus the plug/USB port). I'm going to make the one with the USB port plus an additional single plug for the cab and then 2 plugs for the bed. I figure if I need a light in the bed I'll just get something that plugs into the power outlet instead of actually mounting it in a box as he did. My big thing is having my 12v fan in the bed when I'm camping. I can't sleep without air moving around and the important issue in the cab is keeping my phone charged. I think these should all cover that adequately.

View attachment 628969View attachment 628970View attachment 628971

Where's the love?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where's the love?
Hey, I offered to buy some but I'm on a schedule. If the OD LMTV Upgrade Co can't provide the products I need in a timely manner I need to take my business elsewhere. Maybe we can revisit our relationship in the next fiscal quarter :)

I just saw that truck on GP as well. I did a write up on adding fuel cans to that spot LOL.
I remembered seeing it somewhere but didn't know it was an actual unit modification as well. I'm trying to keep the truck as close to "in service" as possible (ignore that whole 12v box upgrade thingy) so don't want to do anything (too obvious) that wouldn't have been done in the military. Unseen modifications like cab insulation are fine but when I'm at a show I want it to look original.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allen, here's the shots of the antennae mount. The power cable that comes out of the back of the cab actually goes in to the mount on the bottom side of where the magnets are. I have not seen one of the antennae so not sure exactly what it looks like.

IMG_4322.jpgIMG_4319.jpgIMG_4318.jpgIMG_4323.jpg

Other things I'm working on today, just got some of the new style mirrors so I'm going to get them on. Also finishing up the paint on the wheels (just ran out so need to hit Home Depot) so I should have them ready to mount. That will have to wait for another day though as the heat index is headed for about 105 today. I know, nothing like Phoenix. 120 today?

IMG_4324.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks