• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another minor fix - when NDT picked the truck up the brakes were caged. As such the dust covers had been removed and apparently didn't make it into the truck anywhere. I was able to get some replacements from my favorite parts scrounger and put them on today. I decided the blue didn't really go with the camo theme (although it is Infantry) so I painted them.

Attachments

aleigh

Well, mine have been missing since the start, and that was at least 6,000 miles that I had the truck, including mud, sand, and water crossings. No apparent problem. Doesn't look particularly rusty if I look in there or anything.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, mine have been missing since the start, and that was at least 6,000 miles that I had the truck, including mud, sand, and water crossings. No apparent problem. Doesn't look particularly rusty if I look in there or anything.
Not a bad idea to get some just because. They should be available on line or at big truck centers.

Keith_J

Air brake cage bolt hole covers are a very good idea even if you never go off road. Insects like wasps like such holes for nesting. I just had to clean my tire inflation chuck from such infestation. And last time I used it was last week.

Another Ahab

One of the things I forgot to mention when I was replacing the door handles is the bolts holding the latch on were all stripped. For some reason the manufacturer thought slotted heads were the way to go. I replaced them with allen head bolts.
The only reason any manufacturer would use slotted screws has got to be because somebody in the organization has a mean streak.

devil.jpg

reloader64

Another minor fix - when NDT picked the truck up the brakes were caged. As such the dust covers had been removed and apparently didn't make it into the truck anywhere. I was able to get some replacements from my favorite parts scrounger and put them on today. I decided the blue didn't really go with the camo theme (although it is Infantry) so I painted them.
Color blue? Air conditioning? Sounds like Air Force to me.:mrgreen:

reloader64

I just got around to reading this thread. Cool truck! Sorry I missed you at the meeting last month. When you get the A/C working, you can drive it anywhere, so we'll expect to see you at more events.

Scott

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got around to reading this thread. Cool truck! Sorry I missed you at the meeting last month. When you get the A/C working, you can drive it anywhere, so we'll expect to see you at more events.
That's the idea. And you can't call me Air Force until I start staying at hotels for events instead of the back of the truck.

Another Ahab

I encourage anyone who hasn't voted in the Vehicle of the Month polling to do so and vote for Shark Bait. We need a LMTV represented!
I always get behind in keeping up with all the threads around here, mkcoen (like Vehicle of the Month). It'll make your head spin!

So thanks for the link here, that was a big help. [thumbzup]

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a little bit further on the AC. Keith_J came by and started on the mounting points for the condenser brackets. The bottom brackets just needed a hole drilled in the frame horn extensions but the upper ones needed a little bit more material added. Luckily we had some left over Goat material (just thinking of Warthog and how he loved the yellow paint) so now it officially has some Waffle House Express in it (it's still named Donatello though). We need to wait until the hoses are here to see exactly how to plumb things before the final condenser install.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Luckily we had some left over Goat material (just thinking of Warthog and how he loved the yellow paint) so now it officially has some Waffle House Express in it (it's still named Donatello though). We need to wait until the hoses are here to see exactly how to plumb things before the final condenser install.
legend.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been having some issues with the cab latch actually latching so today Keith_J pulled it off and stripped it down to see what the issue was. First off the button was sticking some so cleaned the shaft off and lubed it up some. Then the o-ring was getting kind of stiff so we swapped that for a new one. Everything seemed to be working good on the latch so it got reinstalled and - phsst - nothing. It still wouldn't latch.

Next thing we looked at was the striker on the cab. It was so floppy Keith didn't think it was allowing enough pressure on the latch to complete the cycle. There was 1/4" of space between the bolt head and plate (see pics) so we added a piece of rubber to tighten it up and reinstalled. Now there wasn't enough flex and the plate bottomed out on the back of the latch. So out came the rubber but to verify the contact issue Keith used a large screwdriver and pried down on the striker and BOOM latch closed and button retracted. Now it's just a matter of getting it to do that when the cab comes down. But at least we know it isn't the latch.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another minor set back on the AC install. The hose kit that was supposed to be for a LMTV was about 6' too long and the fittings for the compressor side were too short to go over the unit so wouldn't be in the correct position. Instead of trying to find the exact part - since we can't seem to buy everything at once and know it's correct - I'm just going to take the truck to a local AC shop and have them make hoses for it. This shop did a great job when I had to replace the lines on my M1010 and did so reasonably. The lines for the M1078 will be short compared to the M1010 so I'm hoping to get off without it killing my wallet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks