• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that. When you do get it sorted out if you enumerate for us what parts #s were actually required - you are going to be an absolute hero. Is there a SS medal of honor?
Well they are making the hoses by hand but I'll get the info on the new dryer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little FMTV unobtanium: Insulation Panel, Vehicular cab

Special Features: 0MATERIAL is an acoustical and thermal insulation composite consisting of 5 layers: reinforced vinyl facing thermally fused with an aromatic thermoplastic to polyurethane foam which is thermally fused with polyurethane adhesive to a polypropylene thermal insulating plastic, the composite is then fitted with an edge sealing vinyl strip; visible color of item is 383 green; operational environment temperature range is -20.0 degrees F to +120.0 degrees f; mounting hardware required is not included
Material: Plastic and rubber synthetic
End Item Identification: 2320-01-447-6345 chassis, truck; W/S family of medium and light tactical vehicles (fmtv)

IMG_4379.jpgIMG_4380.jpgIMG_4381.jpg

coachgeo

A little FMTV unobtanium: Insulation Panel, Vehicular cab....
Did you end up with this beasty? If so can you make a pattern of it with pattern paper. Maybe Trace it out on some newspaper taped together orr?? Draw it out with measurments orr???) that you could possible share with us. Would help in folk making their own version.

How thick is it?

Another Ahab

Oh, Man, another one of those "kill-on-sight" directives.

I got enough of those warrants outstanding on me here already.

I'm just going to walk away slowly, now; please pretend I never asked.....:roll:

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a CAD drafter so you'll have to manage with what I have. The el cheapo program I got on line only did feet not inches and wouldn't go down low enough to post accurate measurements so I'll list them below. Also these are rough estimates. The plastic edge that's around the headliner bulges in spots so make your own cut out from cardboard and then fit it to your truck.

From the upper left corner going clockwise
Right 17.5"
down 7"
angle down right 2.5"
angle up right 8.75"
up 2.75" (the space between the 2 horizontal portions is 9")
right 9.5"
down 4.75"
turret cut out is 16" across at the center and from where the cutout starts at the top to where it ends at the bottom (gap) is 38" And the circle should be centered but the drawing would cut off portions of the lines so just use your imagination.
bottom of cutout down 2.75"
left 1.25"
down 2.5"
left 29.75"
up 2.25"
left 1.75"
down 2.25"
left 3.5"
up 39"
right 1"
up 1"
left 1"
up 12.25"

The turret cutout itself is approximately 40.75" in diameter and other panel is mirror image of the 1st one. Hope that helps.

Headliner.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

I am not a CAD drafter so you'll have to manage with what I have. The el cheapo program I got on line only did feet not inches and wouldn't go down low enough to post accurate measurements ...
If it helps one of these others might work better for you. Have played with Sketch up and thought it went down well below inches even but.... I could be wrong. Other ones? don't have knowledge to know or not. http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-cad-software/

aleigh

Thanks, this is really helpful. It's on my TODO list to sew up an insulation blanket for the top and back of the cab but I hadn't gotten around to it. I want to make a radiator cover too, since those are also kind of hard to find. Planning on some coooold weather next year.

Speaking of which mkcoen how is your ether start system looking?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it helps one of these others might work better for you. Have played with Sketch up and thought it went down well below inches even but.... I could be wrong. Other ones? don't have knowledge to know or not. http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-cad-software/

It may go smaller but the 5 mintes I spent to learn this afternoon didn't lend itself to changing. Since I don't plan to pay for the full program I doubt I'll get its full benefit.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really pretty excited about getting the truck back with working AC (or getting it back and finishing the AC if the shop can't pull their collective heads out) and looking at some offroading trip ideas. There are a couple of good spots in both southern and northern NM and a particularly enticing road from Silverton to Ouray, CO.

I'm not going in to the whole "expedition vehicle" build although I do like the idea of a M1082 with a HI/LOW camper set up. That, however is years down the road. In the meantime I'll be doing basic tent camping whether it's on the ground or in the back of the truck. Still the idea of being miles away from civilization is very appealing (I grew up in northern Idaho in a county the size of MA with a population of only 12k). Two of the things that I'll want to carry with me are water (lots for camp cleanup and potential coolant issues) and fuel. I don't want to put a bunch of extra jerry can holders on the truck but also don't want the cans rattling around in the back of the truck unsecured. My idea is to take a 2x8 as wide as the bed, drill holes big enough that the tie down loops on the bed floor can fit upright in them, then use a j-bolt run through some square tubing with wing nuts to hold it to the floor. On the 2x8 I could mount as many can holders as I want but when not camping can easily remove it and take the truck to an air show, living history event, etc. and still look stock. Just an idea for expanding without altering.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One step forward. The shop still couldn't manage the wiring so I just picked it up. Too hot this afternoon to work on it but Keith_J will be over in the morning and I think we can knock it out pretty quick. At this point it's just a matter of connecting the drier switch and the condenser then putting the skid plate back on. Unfortunately for some unknown reason the shop loosened the front of the cargo cover and now one of the super rope sections is missing. Needless to say I won't be going back to these guys for any future work.

IMG_4388.jpgIMG_4389.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah but you're soooo close. Look on the bright side it seems like you're going to finish when the weather is still hot!
It'll still be hot in October so I've got plenty of time.

Say, if you're planning on wintering in AZ again this year I found a great guided trail in southern NM. It's a 5 day, 375 mile route. He's trying to figure out if my truck can make it or not due to the height. It'd be a blast to look down on all the Jeeps and FJs with 2 LMTVs going.

Another Ahab

Say, if you're planning on wintering in AZ again this year I found a great guided trail in southern NM. It's a 5 day, 375 mile route. He's trying to figure out if my truck can make it or not due to the height. It'd be a blast to look down on all the Jeeps and FJs with 2 LMTVs going.
You all could be "Big Brother" and "The Holding Company" (automatic theme song included). :naner:

aleigh

Don't know what my winter plans are yet, AZ or someplace else. Quasi related I always wanted to go to Big Bend. You been down there?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks