• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, will this impact your upcoming trip?
In all likelihood it will. I'll have to see what the followup with the Ortho says but worse case scenarii is I ride with TexAndy and leave the LMTV at home. The trip goes on just uncertain if I'll be able to drive.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like Keith might have figured out what was causing the short in the circuit breaker panel causing the tail lights not to work. There had been something mounted on the panel cover at some point where the put rivnuts through the panel and then about 1.5" bolts. Since whatever was being held down was gone they just tightened the bolts all the way down and they were protruding through the panel. I didn't get a shot before we reinstalled it but you can see the rivnuts on the outside of the panel with the bolts already gone. Tail lights seem to work fine now so I can leave the cover on until the next time they freak out.

And don't forget to visit: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ldiers-MV-of-the-month-2016-October-VOTE-HERE!

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Ouch. But that yellow color should mean the blood is returning back into circulation.

"Time is typically the best doctor." I think Hippocrates came up with that one.

agazza2

I was at speed and it did take out the radiator. Sitting off I10 waiting for a wrecker. Got the rear axle shafts out thanks to some texting advice from NDT.

View attachment 641929

The culprit.
I was changing my timing cover gasket today because of a slight oil leak, and had to remove the fan, and harmonic balancer. The balancer had to come out due to one of the bolts behind the pulley being to long. Glad I did as the 4 bolts you show in the photo above where loose. I was tight, the other three show signs of the threads being hammered from the movement of the fan.

Was there only 4 bolts on your too Mark? There are holes for 6, and mine only had 4 installed. I will install 6 and add loctite so they do not come loose again. It seems like these bolts need to be checked periodically for looseness.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had all 6. 4 were still tight and 2 were stripped and just spinning. We're just sitting in Alpine, TX having breakfast on our way back from Big Bend. I'll try and post more when I get home.

Another Ahab

Mine had all 6. 4 were still tight and 2 were stripped and just spinning. We're just sitting in Alpine, TX having breakfast on our way back from Big Bend. I'll try and post more when I get home.
- Is the Typical Texas breakfast side hashbrowns or grits?

I'm guessing hashbrowns (based on travel in Colorado).

Just wondering mkcoen; in other words, is Texas more Western than it is Southern?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had home fries and the wife had grits, but the Western/Southern thing depends on what part of TX you're in. From San Antonio to NM its definitely Western.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sitting in line waiting for the start of the Universal City, TX Veteran's Day Parade. Next Saturday will be the San Antonio Parade. Have to hit as many as I can.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And before I got to the top of that hill to start the parade I was deadlined! I started venting 2-3psi of air per second out of the right rear brake pot. Turns out the diaphragm blew so I was losing so much air the brakes were automatically locking up. It was fine whenever the parking brake was set (so I could build air) but as soon as I took that off it starting dumping it faster than the compressor could keep up. I did manage to get off the main drag onto a side street where I could work on it and luckily Tornadogt was further up the parade route towing a friend's monster truck. He came back and we confirmed where the leak was coming from and headed out to find some parts. Luckily he knew a place after we found out NAPA didn't have anything. Got back, plugged the line, and soldiered on with what was working.

So here's one more thing to keep in the toolbox - 3/8" plug to go into the 90 degree fitting on the brake tub. You should probably have a couple just in case. It'd be handy if I didn't have to have a mechanical failure before finding out the things to keep available.

Now to pull the chamber off so I can either rebuild or replace it.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks