• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well once again I'm starting a thread on working on a new vehicle. Here's a list of prior threads in case you're interested in my personal brand of madness:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?65360-Working-on-the-MKT

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?72872-Working-on-the-M37

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?121212-Working-On-The-M923A2

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135414-Working-On-The-M561-Gama-Goat

Usually I have the vehicle in hand before I start the thread but I'm pretty excited about this one so I'm starting it immediately after winning the auction. The truck is sitting at Ft Polk right now and it'll probably be a bit before I can actually lay hands on it but I'm pretty stoked. I had to pay more than I wanted for a non-runner but about $1500 less than a non-runner in KY went for today. But I'm a gamblin' man and I feel pretty confident about this one (famous last words).

New Truck.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to this one! Are you picking the rig up yourself or having it delivered?
Luckily I have a friend capable of hauling it for me. He's a fellow SS member and can identify himself if he wants. I don't want to advertise for him as it's not his job just a good friend helping me out.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! Glad you found one and back in the saddle so to speak.

I hope you are doing well!
I am feeling better although developed a nasty case of bronchitis due to weakened system and an unholy amount of oak pollen at the moment. The Gama Goat was sold to pay for the treatment for my MS but the wife put a nix on that. She said since we were credit card debt free and that they were for emergencies that we would put my co-pay on that and just cover it over time. I had sold my MKT to buy the M923, sold the M923 to buy the Goat, and was told by her that the money from the Goat would go to LMTV and NOTHING else. I am truly blessed in so many ways.

You bastard ! LOL
I'm sure that's what the bidder behind me said too :)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oak pollen is so bad this year, I heard the tweakers were turning their speed back into Sudafed...

Nice truck. Tarp needs a patch.
It is nicer than the one I found you. ;)

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck. Tarp needs a patch.
It is nicer than the one I found you. ;)
I'm hoping the tarp is a split seam that might be resewn (you still have your machine, don't you :) ) - and how about those delineator panels?

Yeh this one doesn't look like it's been dropped while sling loading it.

I'm not that up on these trucks. Is the mount on the passenger side for a radio or laptop? Figure it'd be a great place for a full screen back up camera/GPS (and yes I know the driver's seat looks like Ka-Ka).

New Truck2.jpgNew Truck3.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well one thing I can say about GP is that their paperwork comes through pretty quick. I had the invoice and wire instructions yesterday afternoon, sent the funds, and had the Item Release form at 6:08 last night (just didn't check my email until this morning). Basically 6 hours from end of sale to paperwork to get the truck. The earliest GL would have gotten a Paid in Full invoice would be the next day if you were lucky. Now it's just a matter of arranging the pick up time as it's not a manned site. It's like Christmas in April (and the actual last day I can pick up is the 25th) and I'm going to be bouncing off the walls until I get to open up my new Army truck.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they gave you some extra goodies on the dash and some reflective tape on the mud flaps!
Yep looks like one that came out of Europe. I wonder how large of a flat screen will fit on the dash? I could do drive-in movies where ever I go.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery for the truck is set for next Monday. God willing and the creeks don't rise any more in Houston that is. I'm going a bit stir crazy wanting to get my hands dirty on it and have spent the last couple of days going through ALL the FMTV posts. I ordered a couple of rolls of sound deadening material but probably won't start on that until after a whole lot of PMCS is completed. I'm hoping to have it running and driving well enough to make the Central Texas Air Show in Temple on May 7 and 8. It may not be all that pretty before then but hopeful drivable.

Thinking ahead for other projects I'm trying to decide if the gear change is worth the effort. It sounds like it's a no brainer with the A1 trucks but wondering if the 1st Gen trucks see as much of an improvement with the less powerful engine. It's not a change I feel comfortable making myself so I'd have the cost of the gear sets plus paying someone to install them. Just driving around S. TX I think I could get by with the stock speed but if I want to do any long distance traveling for camping I'd probably like to be able to do 60-65 on the highway. And will the gear sets have any effect on towing?

Oh well. Six more days to go.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Ordered my sound deadening material on Monday and it was on the porch this afternoon. I'm using GTMat 80mil that I got off eBay. Another LMTV owner used this for his (can't remember who or what thread) and he used a smart phone based decibel meter and showed a substantial reduction in noise. He didn't mention heat difference but may have not had it in long enough to make a determination on that. Any heat elimination will be helpful with keeping the AC unit from working too hard. Now I still get to wait for the truck before I can start.

IMG_4097.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you email link to what you bought. Thanks!
PM sent. Nice thing about this vendor is FREE shipping. It was a heavy enough box that I needed to get the hand cart to move it from the front porch to the shop. I'd hate to think what the shipping would have been.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks