• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the auto parts chain stores have tool loan programs. You leave a deposit of the price of a tool, then get it back when you return it. Call around tomorrow and see if any have the torque range you need. Then if you like the tool, you just keep it. Lots of specialty tool listed on the counter top mats at the parts counter.

Another Ahab

Well Fate is kicking me in the Goat-nads again. Thought I could borrow an appropriately sized torque wrench but struck out. Then I went to Northern Tool hoping to get a cheap, one use model. All of theirs in 150# plus were sold out (and not cheap). And I'm not paying for a decent wrench that I'll only use once.
You're funny, mkcoen. :lol:

Maybe it's Bad Karma circling back:

- Did you maybe kick a dog once when you were a kid!?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Keith_J

Aluminum blocks and overheating? Yeah, just had the same thing on a Scag Turf Tiger with a horizontal shaft Kohler. The head bolts could be removed without any wrenches. Aluminum expands 3X as much as steel with temperature so the block stretches the bolts.

Now, another cheap and easy method in lieu of getting a torque wrench is use a impact wrench torque stick. These typically are used to tighten lug nuts. Just looks like an extension for a socket wrench but with a reduced diameter so they act as torsion springs.

forget Hazard Fraught tools, none they have will work. But a 175 ft lb in 1/2" drive is under $40. And in your favorite color, hot pink:p

https://www.torquestick.com/cart/175FT-LB-TORQUE-STICK-TORQUE-EXTENSION-BAR-H-PINK.html

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Aluminum blocks and overheating? Yeah, just had the same thing on a Scag Turf Tiger with a horizontal shaft Kohler. The head bolts could be removed without any wrenches. Aluminum expands 3X as much as steel with temperature so the block stretches the bolts.

forget Hazard Fraught tools, none they have will work. But a 175 ft lb in 1/2" drive is under $40. And in your favorite color, hot pink.
I know there was a differential, but never knew it was THAT much; great to know. Thanks!

And I think that the color seals the deal, hands down.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was unable to get a valve cover gasket through NAPA as they are woefully inept if it's not a standard vehicle that they can just type into their computer so I went ahead and ordered a full head kit from JEGS. Looks like it has all the O-rings so if the retorquing doesn't do anything I may break down and try to do it myself. The trick is going to be getting the head up off the block without 6 people lifting it as my engine hoist doesn't have that kind of reach.

~

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my fingers crossed for you, never even thought of lookin on JEGS, what does that gasket kit run? I need one for sure!
$50 with free shipping. My problem is the more I look at the motor the less inclined I am to attempt this. I'm enough of a mechanic to know when I'm not enough of a mechanic. At least I'll have the parts on hand in the event I find someone that is.

m38inmaine

I'm afraid it may be the large O-rings that are around the cylinder sleeves and you would do all that work on the head and have it not work. Although you may pull the head and it may be obvious what's bad, it's hard to say. I was tempted to pull the head on mine but that thing looks real heavy and I decided to wait until the engine is out and it can be easily reached. At least your engine turns over, don't give up yet!

combat32

That head is Heavy! I have an extra one. Waiting till my my motor is on the ground as well. Mark, hopefully a re-torque will solve your problem.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So searching for someone to work on the engine I kept getting pointed to Stewart and Stevenson as the only Detroit Diesel shop in the area. I finally broke down and called today to get a ballpark price on a minor overhaul. The first number that caused me to almost snort iced tea out my nose was $15k. This, the service writer assured me, included polishing the crank and doing everything right. I explained I only needed a minor overhaul and in essence really just needed the O-rings replaced. He said, okay, in that case it'd be 35 hours at $166 per hour plus parts. So, in other words, I'm back to owning a nice green lawn ornament.

Another Ahab

So searching for someone to work on the engine I kept getting pointed to Stewart and Stevenson as the only Detroit Diesel shop in the area. I finally broke down and called today to get a ballpark price on a minor overhaul. The first number that caused me to almost snort iced tea out my nose was $15k.
Boo the Goat was listening in on your call:

https://youtu.be/xsAgNl1p974

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks