• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A picture of the Goat and tow bar. I've got to work my way up to enough energy to unhook it and I'm not there yet.

The second pic is the mangled belt. You can also see where the overflow tank boiled after losing the fan. The temp gauge was working but I think the driver was concentrating on driving and keeping me and the deuce in sight as there was a bit of traffic.

Pic 3 is the what's left of the belts.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

m38inmaine

My -34P dated 1985 shows 35", the NSN says 35", I have not replaced mine. Looks like you need the fan belts, not the water pump belts Mutt Parts are listing.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My -34P dated 1985 shows 35", the NSN says 35", I have not replaced mine. Looks like you need the fan belts, not the water pump belts Mutt Parts are listing.
That's probably it. My -34P is Jan '76. I trust your word more than the TM anyway but was just wondering if you'd put them on so had 1st hand experience on the length.

It is the fan belts I need but I'm getting the ones from MuttParts as back up for the water pump. The ones on the Goat now actually feel good but then so did the fan belts. I'm also going to bow out of events on days when it's 98 out.

m38inmaine

It would be a good idea to replace them all. All I have to go by is what the TM/NSN says, no first hand experience, thanks for your confidence though.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be a good idea to replace them all. All I have to go by is what the TM/NSN says, no first hand experience, thanks for your confidence though.
I trust people who do quality work. Attention to detail generally indicates someone knows what they're doing and takes the time to research things to make them right. I'm more a "fly by the seat of my pants" type person so lean heavily on the former to get things right :)

TexAndy

A picture of the Goat and tow bar. I've got to work my way up to enough energy to unhook it and I'm not there yet.

The second pic is the mangled belt. You can also see where the overflow tank boiled after losing the fan. The temp gauge was working but I think the driver was concentrating on driving and keeping me and the deuce in sight as there was a bit of traffic.

Pic 3 is the what's left of the belts.

Oh, and VOTE FOR THE M561 for MV of the month! I could use a boost right now.

View attachment 571035View attachment 571036View attachment 571037
:oops: I should have been watching the temp gauge. Like you said, it took a bit of concentration to drive on the highway...

Get Kieth to help you. Do you have a light on a stand? If so, do it at night, when it's 80 degrees rather than 100.

Keith_J

Yes, he has lights. Plus the ones out of my SECM, when I get time. The Goat has lots of room under the bonnet but so does a CUCV and doing all belts on that can be a chore.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:oops: I should have been watching the temp gauge. Like you said, it took a bit of concentration to drive on the highway...

Get Kieth to help you. Do you have a light on a stand? If so, do it at night, when it's 80 degrees rather than 100.
I probably only looked at it twice on the way over and both of those times were on the highway. Once we got on the winding back road I was concentrating on driving. Things happen and you fix them and move on. Now we know it needs fan belts. If it didn't happen yesterday it could have happened next week when I didn't have anyone around to help me recover it and that would have been much worse.

Another Ahab

Ok here's 11 min of Goat driving. If you don't want to watch the entire video (it does get a bit boring if you're not actually driving) skip ahead to about 5:40. That's where it gets to the narrow (or long and) winding road.
A right pretty day for the drive; great video, thanks for the treat. :beer:

What I can't figure out is where you had the camera mounted. Were you wearing it on your head?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I can't figure out is where you had the camera mounted. Were you wearing it on your head?
Yep. It's a GoPro Hero 3+ with a headband mount. Same camera that I did the drone video with. They're handy little gadgets and the new Hero 4 is even small enough that it's easy to use with a wrist mount.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More bad news. I just wasted 2 gallons of antifreeze filling the radiator just to have it leak out on the driveway. Turns out that the overheat split the left radiator tank seam. Now I guess I get to see how much fun removing a radiator is.

Gamagoat1

Nice Ride!! You just saved me some fuel. I had a hankerin' to drive my Goat today but watched this video and got my fix for the day. Sounds pretty darn good. It gets better when you add the windshield.

Mike

TexAndy

More bad news. I just wasted 2 gallons of antifreeze filling the radiator just to have it leak out on the driveway. Turns out that the overheat split the left radiator tank seam. Now I guess I get to see how much fun removing a radiator is.

Ugh, that sucks. Let me know when you want to tackle it and I'll come up and give you a hand.

I can come up this weekend.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ugh, that sucks. Let me know when you want to tackle it and I'll come up and give you a hand.

I can come up this weekend.
Thanks. I'm hoping Keith_J can come out and see if it's something that can be repaired in place. The seam is half way up the side of the tank and it might be able to be resoldered where it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks