• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be right, hope its just the o rings.
I've gone through about 50 threads on different diesel forums all saying the 3-53 is a wet sleeve motor. I'll have a further chat with the shop to try and determine if they know what they're talking about but still feel comfortable getting the head done at this point. If he wants to go any further in we'll need to verify his credentials first.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a positive side, he brought up the subject of the head seal failure causing coolant to drain thru the air box. Good luck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had also read they were wet sleeved. I guess we'll see when he pulls it apart. It could be that earlier (non-Goat) 3-53s weren't and that's what he's thinking of and doesn't know Goat ......................
engine specific serial numbers and all engine manuals in post 620 at link?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
engine specific serial numbers and all engine manuals in post 620 at link?
Yes. Haven't had time to go through all of them yet. Other than the specific issues going on with the engine at this point not sure what I need to look for or where to find it in which particular attachment.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loaded the Goat this afternoon in order to take to Hank Storbeck's Garage tomorrow. Two things I noticed that dampen my enthusiasm: 1) in checking the oil before start up I noticed it's several quarts over the full level. As I just changed the oil after the radiator issue it should be dead on full. As it's not that leads me to believe coolant is indeed leaking into the oil. 2) I could smell coolant in the exhaust once started. I'm just going to ask him what a complete overhaul would be when I get there. If it's more than what a White Owl rebuilt engine would be then I won't even take it off the trailer.

m38inmaine

I checked with white Owl today, the used engine may be an option for me, he said they test run them. Of course shipping is always an issue for me in the great North of Maine.

Another Ahab

I checked with white Owl today, the used engine may be an option for me, he said they test run them. Of course shipping is always an issue for me in the great North of Maine.
If you're not entirely landlocked, I wonder if dropping it into a boat hold, and shipping by sea would be cheaper for you. Who knows!?

OK, where's my map of Maine?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They quoted me $400 for shipping. That seemed reasonable. I may be driving back to WY if the Cheyenne motor is still available.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

They quoted me $400 for shipping. That seemed reasonable. I may be driving back to WY if the Cheyenne motor is still available.
Of course, it's still a drive (there AND back), but if nothing else:

- I bet that drive would take you through some right beautiful country.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course, it's still a drive (there AND back), but if nothing else:

- I bet that drive would take you through some right beautiful country.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, etc. I'd prefer not having to drive 2200 miles but then again I'd also prefer not having to replace the engine. Still need to wait on the shop diagnosis but if it's going to take more than 15 hours of labor (which is likely) it'd be cheaper to go new motor route.

Another Ahab

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, etc. I'd prefer not having to drive 2200 miles but then again I'd also prefer not having to replace the engine. Still need to wait on the shop diagnosis but if it's going to take more than 15 hours of labor (which is likely) it'd be cheaper to go new motor route.
I get it. I should have checked my globe. That's not a drive:

- It's full-blown VOYAGE.

voyage.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm getting stymied every step of the way. The shop won't give me any dollar estimates on any work. I keep getting "I can't tell you until I get in there." I asked for a simple price on just putting the head kit in (which at this point I think is a waste of time) and he wouldn't even do that saying he didn't know what would be needed until he pulled it apart. So I'm not going to simply give someone an open check and hope for the best. The Cheyenne engine is still available and the owner said they had it running before they took it out and it's been stored inside since they've owned it. There is a hole in the oil pan where the turn in folks decided it was easiest just to poke a hole in it rather than undo the drain plug but they did a junk yard fix in order to run it around their yard. Bottom line is I get a running motor for $530 plus the cost to go get it. Total investment should be around $1000 plus 3 days of my time to get there and back.

I appreciate all the help and advice from folks trying to get this back going. I hate the idea of swapping engines but it's going to be a cost saver in the end and likely the easiest way to go (although I would have preferred just being about to take it in and pick it up when it was done). Now I guess I'll have a chance to detail the engine before putting it back in and think I'll go the spin-on oil filter route as well.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There you go lookin at the bright side;-)

I may need a white owl motor before it's all said and done, hope not.
Well I'll have a rebuildable core if you want to go that way (although I've already promised the head to m38inMaine if he needs it and I'll be taking the oil pan). Luckily I have the time and can drive to Cheyenne and back for about the cost of shipping one of the White Owl engines. Also, since I'm swapping oil pans, I get to keep the ball valve oil drain. The pluses just keep adding up/sarc (as well as the dollars).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks