• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the MKT

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the new MKT home last night. What a trip. We averaged 16mpg on the way over and 7.5mpg on the way back. We took 3 Come-alongs and a 12v winch to load it with as Hooks says they have no assistance. Fortunately that's not entirely correct as we were able to talk the guy checking us through to push the MKT onto my trailer with his forklift (it was WAY too small to lift it). For some reason site isn't allowing me to do paragraphs so this is going to run on a bit. Once home we just hooked the deuce up and pulled it off. So far only a couple of things wrong with it - 1) missing one of the deck braces 2) Missing a piece off of one of the vents (the part you put the crank end into) so not able to open that vent yet 3) rails that hold the sliding vents on one of the ovens missing, but I have an extra oven so I can just swap that out 4) some of the super rope is damaged but I think I have enough from replacing the cover on my 1st trailer to fix it 5) and of course missing all of the MBUs. They have some interesting custom deck latches too. Quite a stack of the Cambro mermites and 7 drink dispensers. The flat on the left side seems to be holding air but I'll wait a couple days to see if it's a slow leak or actually ok. And before the safety police jump on here, we did have sufficient tie-downs all around it's just I had taken the ones on the front of the MKT off before remembering to take pics. Really don't like this new way of posting. Didn't post pictures in order I wanted and no simple way to alter them. Not sure if it's the site or the new version of IE that Windows downloaded without my permission.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deck latch looks like ones I have on a few of the MKT's around here. There was an early type and a later type, and I've forgotten which is which.
Looked to me like a "field expedient" repair due to a broken latch (although both are the same). This is a MKT-99 so I would think it should have the newest gadgets and that looks pretty old school in comparison. - Ok just reviewed the Mar 2002 -13 and it says the MKT 85, 90, 95, and 99 are supposed to be equipped with the "z-catch" deck latch. No telling what model mine was originally before upgrading to the 99 but with those I'd say probably an older model. It does have a new roof to go with the upgrade and the ID plate for air lifting as well as all the other upgrade stuff like power exhaust and fluorescent lights.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Wow, you had time to take pictures while we were pulling the MKT off? And I am not in them? ;)

Enough mermites to feed a battalion. Just needs a bunch of TLC.

Deck latch looks like ones I have on a few of the MKT's around here. There was an early type and a later type, and I've forgotten which is which.
Guys,
Not 100% sure, but those latches look like the older style. Then newer ones are the "Z" latches. Nice trailer though, good luck with it. Sounds like you can get MBU's cheaper out there, than on the East Coast. Good luck.

John

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the walkway covers set up today. Four of the canopy poles are broken where the handrails go but we should be able to position them in the front and rear center deck since no rails go there and be okay. I'm still trying to figure out how the lights and vent fan go so need to dig into the TM to get a better idea. Lots of LARGE animal scat throughout. Not sure what it's from but at least as big as a raccoon. Found an envelope addressed to a SSG in Kuwait. Don't know if that means it went to the sandbox or someone just left the envelope there. Still lots of cleaning to do before I'm willing to cook on it (think raccoon scat).

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vent fan attaches to a pole/brace that goes from the middle rail out to the side, just hangs on the hooks. And the vent fan outlet is supposed to go into a flexible hose that goes down to the stainless pipe that runs from where the power outlet is down to the M-59 ranges along that side of the floor. It's purpose is to pull heat from the top of the unit and blast it out on the cook's feet in the wintertime. The 'skirt' on the latest units is meant to keep the cold winds from blowing on the bottom of the aluminum floors and making the cooks miserable during winter deployments. I've got a pole/brace bracket or two somewhere if you need one.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vent fan attaches to a pole/brace that goes from the middle rail out to the side, just hangs on the hooks. And the vent fan outlet is supposed to go into a flexible hose that goes down to the stainless pipe that runs from where the power outlet is down to the M-59 ranges along that side of the floor. It's purpose is to pull heat from the top of the unit and blast it out on the cook's feet in the wintertime. The 'skirt' on the latest units is meant to keep the cold winds from blowing on the bottom of the aluminum floors and making the cooks miserable during winter deployments. I've got a pole/brace bracket or two somewhere if you need one.
Think I've got everything but I'm trying to get a picture of how the flex hose is routed and does the vent fan plug into one end of the lights for it's power? I know I'll never have the flex hose plugged into the floor vent here in Texas as the earliest event I usually do is in April and it's already mighty warm then. I may just stow the fan and hose in one of the cabinets and keep it handy if needed. I do like the lights though. Hooked them up and turned them on after it got dark tonight and what a difference they make!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some ovens if you need parts. Late 60s models.

Some tweekers stole all the pots and utensils.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flexible hose comes out horizontally from the fan, takes a 90 degree turn down to the floor, where it takes another 90 degree turn to plug into the stainless floor level vent assembly that is installed on the stainless counter/M-59 range side of the MKT. Fan and hose will partially block access to the small swing up end table on that side while in operation, but heat on the feet in the winter more than makes up for the inconvenience.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got back to working on the new MKT today. I picked up my 4 new (to me) MBUs yesterday and wanted to get them in and fired up. First I had to run the cabling as they pulled it when they took the MBUs out to begin with. They left the most important cable, which is the cross over, but had 2 of the oven cables and not one for the griddle side. Fortunately I had a spare so that didn't slow me down much. They also left the grommets in the holes so I don't have to worry about fraying the cables. I still need to pick up some cable clamps to finish it off but it's good for now. I then installed all 6 of the burners and fueled them up. One wouldn't fuel and I kept getting an Error Code 6 (fuel sensor) so fueled it up manually and tried again. Same error. I tried it about a dozen times over the course of an hour and kept getting the same problem. The other 5 burners all lit with a little coaxing and seemed to run fine. I didn't notice until I was firing them up that one of the ones I picked up last night is not a V3. I'll probably keep that one in an oven as I don't use them much but it still ran fine. Of the burners I got last night two of them had an hour or less on the meter, one 20 hours, and the one that won't fire 33 hours.

Attachments

mkcoen,
I just came in from working on my old MKT 85. Going to give it the best cleaning I can with my power washer. Brutal day in North Jersey today, almost 96, but humid as ****, feels like is over a 100. Your trailer is looking good, nice to find MBU's with so little time on the clock. Hard to find good MBU's around here. Good luck with yours. Try and get a V3 Fuel Block for the one that is giving you trouble, be just like new than.

john

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the MBU manual out and go through the procedure for changing out the sensor. You should have all the parts you need in the package that comes with the TM. Should be a step-by-step on what to do.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the MBU manual out and go through the procedure for changing out the sensor. You should have all the parts you need in the package that comes with the TM. Should be a step-by-step on what to do.
Mike,
I did a quick search of the TM and the only place I can find anything on the Fuel Sensor is in the error code section. I can find just about every other sensor on it but not specifically the "fuel sensor." I'm guessing it's incorporated in the fuel block but can't find a detailed break down of that. If you know the specific section to look in I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, Thanks! It's only in the upper 80's here today thanks to some cloud cover and rain yesterday but the humidity is through the roof. It's about time to give up for the day and hit the showers. Good luck on the cleaning chores. I vacuumed up some more raccoon poo today and really need to hose mine out some more as well.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ROUGH MKT-90 just closed at Ft Sam for $3k. No burners, no pots, no utensils, missing one of the stairs, travel cover ragged, and basically less than desirable. For a few dollars more I'd have sold them my MKT-99 with burners, mermites, a TITLE and the whole nine yards. Hope no one here got too excited and just HAD to have that one.

stampy

Wow I think I got 3 of mine for that much total, and they had stuff the most expensive was the 99 that was 1500$ and was loaded

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
003.jpg

Said good-bye to the MKT today. It's gone to a good home - Lighthouse Charities - so that softens the blow some. I'm going to miss it just not the work :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks