• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

World War II Trailer

steelypip

What an interesting find! I'm glad you're going to restore it - I've never seen one before. What would have towed this originally? It would need a low rear hitch and electric brake controller. The wheels suggest that the trailer was pretty heavy when loaded.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Depending on what your stud spacing is 9.00X16 5 hole budd wheels from a M101 or A1 3/4 ton trailer might work at least to get it home.5hole.jpg
Btw saw one of these years ago and the inside was all just varnished plywood.

Last edited:

ducer

Just throwing this out there but my deuce has 6 lug nuts per wheel so I don't think a deuce rim will work. I'm by no means an expert maybe there is a way to bolt 6 lug wheels to 5 lug hubs I don't know about? I hope you all will show how to do it perhaps a nice tutorial with pictures? Maybe rims from a m37 or one of the WC models might be better?

Denny:drool:

gerrykan

Some lighter duty Ford 1 1/2-ton type trucks used 18" wheels into the early 1960's.
Most likely the same bolt pattern, larger than M37/M101 pattern.

CFin

A local guy has some wheels and tires that will work and get it rolling again! Very exciting! Hopefully I can go pick them up this weekend. Question for you all...In regards to restoring is it better to leave the bullet holes or bondo them? I think they are pretty cool but I will probably wind up selling this in the long run! I did see another signal corps trailer (smaller than mine) listed for $15,000 on ebay.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think it was $1,500 K38's are cool1942-k38-2.jpg1942-k38.jpg unless you were talking about another one. If it is the German one that guy has been trying to sell it for years for 15K.
CFin is your aluminum skinned or sheet metal?

Last edited:

CFin

ResizedImage_1377213915204.jpgResizedImage_1377213925842.jpgResizedImage_1377213938792.jpgResizedImage_1377213946959.jpgResizedImage_1377213957025.jpgResizedImage_1377213966227.jpgResizedImage_1377213975609.jpgResizedImage_1377213985501.jpgResizedImage_1377213994058.jpgResizedImage_1377214005648.jpg additional photos. There is brown paint on top of the aluminum, then green on top of that, then white that someone else painted. It is rust free other than one little spot along the edge near the front. The one side has a ton of bullet holes. The bumper is a very odd shape. I am assuming a box (possible the pigeon box or generator) was mounted on it.

Tobiasinla

Humm, is this the same trailer? Did you find this on the G yet, they were busy trying to find tires wheels and hubs for the same. ( notice the dates )

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=169755

gerrykan said:
Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Yep - that's it - can I buy it? Where is it located?
Carbondale is in southern Illinois.
Here is the link to the ad: http://carbondale.craigslist.org/for/1916216186.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is the email address for contacting the owner: sale-vey4v-1916216186@craigslist.org

DaninNM said:
Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:51 pm
Some sneaky pete read this thread and callled the lady up and bought the trailer within 1 hour of me getting ahold of her! Oh well, no honor among thieves :D

Dannin has some pictures of his trailer that are still working, and here are some historic ones.

Second Air Force said:
Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm These three photos of Photographic trailers were taken at Fairmont Army Air Field near Geneva, Nebraska. The first photo shows new equipment that had just arrived in anticipation of the beginning of B-29 training at Fairmont during May of 1944:

FMZEquipment25-44.jpg

These two were taken in August of '44 during an Open House at Fairmont. I wish there was more of the trailer visible, but it's all I could find on short notice:

FMZOpenHouse28-44.jpg

FMZOpenHouse38-44.jpg

Scott

CFin

The trailer I have is the A1 version not the A2. The lady I got it from has had it in her family for years, it was her dad's before her. I just got it from her like a month ago now not years ago like the one mentioned in this ad. Great pictures though and information! Thanks for sharing the link!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer is ultra cool.

My wife and I rebuilt a 1957 Shasta "Canned Ham" a few years back. She really liked it but decided she wanted one with a latrine and not a bucket so it got sold. :whistle:

CFin

Here is a random question...Is it better to restore the original aluminum skin that is there and paint it back to the color it is suppose to be OR should I resheet the whole thing with a fresh aluminum skin. Of course that would mean no more bullet holes. What is better when you restore something. Keeping it all original or making it look as good as possible. Value wise?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two schools of thought on that question , some will only like it as is and some will completely restore it , depends on the person who owns it at the time . Myself I would restore it to in service status , at least on the outside . BTW , how many bullet holes does it have , obviously used as target practice for somebody ! adds to the charm , you can always sell it as is , war wounds , LOL bob k

bigginstactical

Depends on the inner frame work... if it is all rusted in between the aluminum and the framework I would consider taking it off. Grind/sandblast the metal frame and re sheet. If the inner bars are in good shape then consider cleaning the outside up and using the original. As for the holes buy some inner panel adhesive and some scrape aluminum and just prep and glue small patches to the inside. Simple yet effective. We do similar stuff all the time with no comebacks.

CFin

My husband thinks I should put it on ebay and send it on its way to a real military collector. Before I do that is anyone on here interested?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks