• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

would you drive on this?

Kohburn

the only ones with anything deep enough to hit cordage are the 2 kumho tires. all the goodyear tires look like shallow dryrot splits to me or what some call weather checking.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rubber on the sidewalls, as I understand it from past research, is there to protect the underlaying cords only and will not add anything to the strength of the tire. Also, bias plies are probably more forgiving than radials.

Kohburn

I've been researching it all morning, I am going to look them over very carefully and as long as no cording is exposed I'm going to clean and buff the areas and squeegee a layer of 2 part cold vulcanizing repair compound around to fill the cracks and further protect it from more UV/ozone damage.

Bandag does retreads and has a visual comparison card to guage weather checking indicating "acceptable/suspect/reject" before retreading tires.

Jakob

My fronts are (visually) very new tires. My rears however are a totally different story. My rear tires have weather checkering like that. I've done a lot of highway speed on road driving and hit some major bumps (on accident). IMO those don't look too bad for rears.

Kohburn

truck tire injuries up to 5-1/8" radially (length) x 3/4" (width) or 3-1/8" radially (length) x 1-1/2" axially (width) (wider repairs must be shorter in length) on the sidewall and 1-1/2" diameter in the crown area can now routinely be repaired, according to some tire repair material manufacturers
SIDEWALL REPAIRS
A few years ago the International Tire and Rubber Association conducted a research study on the strength of sidewall repairs in radial truck tires. Radial truck tires with injuries 4" long and 3/4" wide were repaired, x-rayed, and subjected to increased pressure until they burst.
From the results the International Tire and Rubber Association (now known as TIA) concluded that properly repaired sidewall injuries have a strength equal to that of the surrounding tire body and provide a safe performing product for the transportation industry. Copies of this research project are now available from the Tire Industry Association/TIA, Box 37203, Louisville, KY 40233, Telephone: 800/426-8835, E-mail: info@tireindustry.org
That means a repair completely cutting out the cording in that area, patching, filling and blending the area.

I'm feeling a lot better about some cosmetic weather checking repair. The key with the weather checking seems to be preventing it from getting bad enough to damage the cording.

Attachments

Last edited:

SEAFIRE

kohburn,
Do you have a 5-ton? the rim in the picture looks like a 5-ton rim.

I had a blow-out in a deuce on a front tire sometime back while going down a dirt road about 25-30mph. The tire was in better shape than you have pictured.
The truck went off the road into a somewhat steep ditch, I was lucky it didn't flip, especially with 1200+ gallons of water in the back. My left hand and arm was injured by the steering wheel from trying to keep the deuce on the narrow road. Since then we only run new tires on the front.

Kohburn

tires off a 5 ton to be put on the deuce.

I'm not against running new tires on the front, just have to find some.

emr

I think they are fine for the rears, and have run em for long times before like that, i try to keep the bad side in because most nubs always have something to say, or worse a Leo may not like em, I no notning about that as a rule, but i think use em up, they are more than tough enough tires to wear em down, go for it, but like said i would keep em off the front unless i had no others...

Kohburn

not planning to use the kumho's that have it bad enough to expose cords, except maybe for offroading.

stumps

I'd likely avoid using the ones with the exposed cord even if repaier but why not load them up and pay a few bucks to a heavy truck inspection shop to give you a real answer?

Lance
Good idea, except the inspection station will take one look at them, see the cracks, and the DOT date, and say they are all trash.

-Chuck

dmetalmiki

A thought (& WARNING here....)

J. What in heck HAPPENED when that rim came off while your dad was airing that wheel up???. That is a REALLY seriouse thing to happen, and I felt you might have added more to the saga to make others aware of the (actual) TERROR of working with a any rim in any way that would/might allow a ring to "fly". as there are certain precautions that can (MUST)be taken if airing newly mounted tires on rims. Any postings or comments that make a member (or anyone) PAUSE (OR think and "go" that bit safer) before this particular action is proceeded with is highly desirable. (in this case 60c worth)

when i had a shot replace an inner tube on mine i watched them and asked them. They said our duece wheels actually have grooved rings which makes it very difficult for the rings to blow off

Josh

Yep. And I haven't git Zack to do it yet. But Dana has many times. Last time we changed our all 8I rears in about 20 minutes. They are still sitting behind my shop with other 15+ tires I still need to brake down. Need them tubes.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
when i had a shot replace an inner tube on mine i watched them and asked them. They said our duece wheels actually have grooved rings which makes it very difficult for the rings to blow off
This is true ONCE they are fully aired up and seated correctly.