• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Identification Help needed

CONFEDR8

Hello Guys and Gals,
I work at .......... (I am not going to say, don't want anyone stealing it) and there is an old rusting wrecker in the back. A small tree fell on the cab but it seems repairable. How can I tell what model it is if I can't reach the plate in the cab? Would there be a clue on the engine, the crane, or the winches? It needs a decent amount of work but if I can get it running, would it be worth fixing it? What are the value of these things depending on the model?

Thanks
CONFEDR8

P.S. I can use all the info on them I can get, other than mpg, I will get shell shocked because I know it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo low. :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of pictures would help and you are required to put your state in the location.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of pictures would help and you are required to put your state in the location.

Edit; SW beat me!

Last edited:

CONFEDR8

**** it, I knew I was forgetting something. I men't to snap a couple of pictures but I was too mesmerized that everything was still there from the looks of it. It will be a week or so before I can get a couple of pictures but I do remember what it looked like. The body still had the camo paint though it was flaking because surface rust was getting to it. There was about an inch of pine needles, well, everywhere. The tree bent the back of the cab, though it looks like it can be fixed with a little help, and the cover is gone. I believe all the windows had cracks in them, but I know for sure the door windows did. For the crane, the cable seemed in decent shape. The hook on it had rust but it could still move and twist freely without any rust locking it up. Some random pulley was sitting next to the hook, it had two pulleys in the block. On the grill, there was in a green circle that had 72 and I think it had an I above it, I don't remember much about that. The wrecker had both the front and rear winch, both containing cable but I didn't spot the chain or hooks (I wasn't looking for them but they could be there). I didn't see the engine so I can't tell you about that. And that is all I remember. I will put my state in the location thing.

Edit: Sorry for the long description, trying to paint a picture from what I remember.

CONFEDR8

Oh right, about the passenger side door, the outside handle worked though kept getting stuck, and I am assuming that part was either rust or crap in the door.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Odds are pretty good it's a 5 ton. Which one we won't know. Was the boom hoist at the end of the boom or slung under the boom by the lift cylinder(s)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was changed by a moderator. We have a great group of folks here that always jump in to assist a stranded member. "Wrecker Help" would normally be reserved for someone with immediate issues so the title was defined. Nothing wrong with having the topic of the thread in the title. As far as lift cylinders, yes it has them. The question was more of the location of the hoist winch, at the end of the boom or slung under the boom.

CONFEDR8

Oh, ok thanks Mods. Sorry for misreading the question, I am not sure of the location of the hoist winch. Again, I need to take another look at that and it won't be for another week or so.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this. Go to your favorite search engine and do a search of images using these terms and see if one or more look the same. M543A2, M816, M62 and M60. All of these have rear drag winches as well as a front winch and boom hoist. I'd wager it's likely one of these.

CONFEDR8

Thanks but I already tried that. I can't see the small details that show the differences between the models and I can't remember the wrecker down to those small details.

CONFEDR8

Out of curiosity, if I was able to try to start it up, could I check the batteries (to see if they were still alive) with just a piece of metal?

Jeepsinker

No. With that much pine straw on it I promise you those batteries are stone dead. Unless it has been started and ran recently and often, then they may be good. The piece of metal test is dangerous at best and only works if batteries are well charged anyway. If you replace batteries and try to start it make sure to have someone else stand by with a piece of wood by the breather at the ready to block airflow in case the engine tries to run away.

CONFEDR8

Just a heads up, this Saturday I should have pics of the wrecker and I will be able to picture the chassis and every nook and cranny of it because I have my gopro.

CONFEDR8

Ok guys. I have some good news and good pictures but showing the bad condition. First off, the wrecker is a ....... 19xx (I don't know because the date of delivery isn't legible from the pics and I didn't catch it) M543A2 Wrecker. It has a Multi-fuel 6 cylinder engine. The engine looks in awesome condition (it is relatively clean but it is a military vehicle so it will never be the cleanest). Don't remember the company, but if someone said the name, I would recognize it. In the hood, there is a date Nov 1, 1977. Could it be from that year or was that a date that always changed? There is a decent amount of surface rust though that is a somewhat simple fix. The original camo paint is still there but because of the rust, it is flaking off.

I will be posting pictures but it will be a little while due to shrinking the photo and editing them. There will be many photos so it will be within a few posts. So keep watching for pictures soon to be rolling through.

CONFEDR8

Edit: The tree isn't small but it isn't too big. It is maybe a foot thick give or take. The controls in the crane cab move freely, so that is a good thing but I am not sure about the winch controls.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks