• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Identification Help needed

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some true "crane" truck wizards here on S.S. Have to agree, pics would make a world of difference. Never have owned a wrecker, but have heard that they are very useful and can be a "money pit". So, both sides of the coin represented. Hope that it works out for ya and WELCOME to the forum! TONS of great information here and some super people too.

God bless,
Tony

CONFEDR8

I have a good bunch of pictures for y'all. It will give you guys the general extent of, well, everything. I didn't get a picture of it but the chassis was rust free but like everything, dirty and covered in cob webs. GOPR0120.jpgGOPR0121.jpgGOPR0125.jpgGOPR0130.jpgGOPR0134.jpgGOPR0135.jpgGOPR0141.jpgIn this picture, if you can't see, there is a rope I am guessing about an inch thick. Are these standard on these trucks or is this "aftermarket"?GOPR0146.jpgGOPR0147.jpgAnd here is the semi-big tree.

Jeepsinker

I don't mean it isn't worth fixing up, just depends on what you can get it for, if you can buy it at all. And if you can't get a title or whatever your state requires to transfer ownership legally, it is worth even less. I have a good rust free cab if you end up needing one.

CONFEDR8

There is a few things. 1, I could possibly secure ownership though I am not 100% sure. 2, to me, it doesn't look too far gone to me, you should see some of the other stuff over where this is located. And 3, I hate scrapping vehicles that I believe that I could save, either with me or the help of other people. Like this case, you have to see it in person and see it from my eyes to know what I mean. Like I stated at the beginning, everything moves freely (though it might be as heavy as ****).

Edit: It mainly seems like body work, from painting and sanding, to the rebuild of the cab or possibly the buying of a new cab, though I like keeping original parts.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yeah I know it can be hard to tell true condition from pictures, and that works for the better and the worse. It is always good to see a truck restored vs. torched up. See what you can do to secure ownership. If that can't happen there is no point discussing it any further. If you can buy it but can't get any paperwork (title) that is ok too. There are always people here looking for wrecker parts and they fetch a respectable but fair price.

CONFEDR8

Jeepsinker (like the name and the reason :)) would it be better to try and buy it from them without starting it to get it cheaper or start it and then buy it from them. The problem with the first option is that it could back fire on me. But like I stated, the engine looks in good condition and the truck needs new batteries. I probably could throw two new batts in there, clean the cab, and a fresh tank of whatever, it is multi-fuel (thank god, there is a ton of fuel oil where it is).

CONFEDR8

I probably could work out a deal but it will be months in the making and partially "incognito". Does anyone have any tips for starting them up or driving them if I can? Also doing bodywork on them, especially working on the bent back of the cab.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It's a multi-fuel 5-ton so it was under powered the day it was built. I have seen worse (not mine but parked in my yard) but to completely restore that would put you 5k in the hole at least.

Right now I'd say it would make a good parts truck. The vise on the front bumper is worth a few hundred bucks.

One thing to considered is your looking thru rose colored glasses. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. I found a cucv that had been sitting for a year. I never saw rust when looking it over. I was blinded my how great I thought it was. When I got it home I found several holes in the cab from rust but I was so excited I didn't see them. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have gotten it but it's more work that I initially thought. I recommend taking a buddy with no emotional attachment and have them look it over.

Brett

goldneagle

If you can at least save the hood. They are hard to find. The cab can easily be replaced with any M35 or M818 series cab.

Jeepsinker

I have a spare hood for it too. As far as starting it, make sure the block and oil pan don't have any holes in it, but don't try and start it. But it first at a little better price, then have a couple of buddies help you try and start it the first time. It takes at least two people to do safely. As long as the motor has no holes in it, there is about an 80% or better chance it'll run.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckers cost alot of money to not only restore but to keep operational. If you really want a wrecker then you really want a wrecker and have to pay for the privilege. Fluids alone are $800+ to change out everything. , I would up Wreckermans estimate to 10k to get operational, road worthy and dependable. That said Wreckers Rule.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a need/use for it. The M543A2 has just enough power to slowly move itself from point a to point b. As is and if it runs it would be a good yard truck. Evaluate what its value is in scrap and offer below that. Cabs are easy to find and swap. The project could easily crush a comoners budget as well. Good Luck.

CONFEDR8

I know about checking for holes and everything. I need to check the oil level, that will be a pain. There are a couple of things, 1, if I keep the business on the side of it, I can register as a "work/job" vehicle (cheaper insurance ). 2, I probably could by stuff through them because it is a business, it might be cheaper (though I am not sure if this entirely true). And 3, I can use the used oil from the engine to fuel it so screw buying diesel for it :).

CONFEDR8

Jeepsinker, there should be a place where you can buy bulk hydraulic fluid, and over 100+ gallons, you should save a couple hundred to throw at fuel everyday :).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like one of the boom's hydraulic pistons will need repair before you can operate it. How many of the hoses will need replaced? LOTS of money to bring this truck back to working condition.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you know, there is more to running waste oil than just pouring it in the tank. I would exercise due dilligence and read some of the success/ horror stories associated with it.