• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Identification Help needed

CONFEDR8

Sorry guys that it has been a while since I have posted. I don't officially own it but the owner has given me the green light to start fixing it up. Before I try starting it up, I would like to go through the carbs to make sure they aren't all gummed up (I am familiar with gas carbs gumming but I am not sure if 5 ton multi fuel carbs do). Could anybody walk me though them or are they relatively simple? Also, the toolbox between the cab and crane, both hinges are a little locked up so I couldn't see inside, so I still don't know if there are tools or not. And I found the wasps nest. It is a small one that if you are looking towards the firewall when you lift up the hood, it is on the firewall to the very left. I will spray them when I get wasp killer and the run like **** just in case they get angry.

Edit: I know this isn't about the 5 ton but i don't know where to place this item. At the same place, there is this weird go kart, aircraft tug, thingy :). If I posted a pic of it, could anyone give a whack at trying to guess what it is?

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I'm going to guess that the go cart thingy is probably an m274 mule. After the comment you made about the multifuel 5 ton carburetors, you need to either walk away now and forget this truck and any diesel powered vehicle, or sit down and do a LOT of reading. These trucks are not carbureted. If you don't have at least a basic working knowledge of diesels this is going to be a long and hard learning curve for you. We are all here to help you, but you need to do some reading and research bud.

CONFEDR8

Fist off, I do know the thing isn't a mule, I would have been all over it of it was. I am more use to gas vehicles but the time has been due for me to start learning about diesels. Don't worry, I catch on quick and I love researching items so it will be interesting.

Ok, now I know how diesels work, through injectors and all that fun stuff.

Last edited:

jhooah

Before you bust the budget, I could offer you my friends MULE for $5500 and you'd save a H... of a lot of time and sweat equity and have SO much more fun getting looks from just as many people with SOooo much less effort...
Just a thought.
I could use the airpac off the rear winch for my 543. One day I'll have to pull the boom cylinder to replace or tighten the seal, she leaks like a flood when fully extended. No access plate to check and tighten the nut on the end of the cylinder either.

By the way, have you downloaded the 5T manuals for the M543 before you look under the hood? the -20 is mandatory, and the -10 is a given before opening the door.

As to the concept of pulling the bed and having a neat old truck, not a good idea IMHO, as it's underpowered, and geared to tow another truck coupled to it, therefore you will still have a very s-l-o-w drive up to 45mph, then eventually hit 50-55.

That Mule's looking pretty good right now, fits in the back of a pickup truck ya know... (and has a carb)
V/R W. Winget

CONFEDR8

Jhooah. I have downloaded the -10 manual but not the -20. In reality though, do you know what the 5T has against the mule (even though they are super cool and look fun), the 5T is street legal. Thanks for the offer on your friend mule but i will have to pass. You probably could convert the mule to street legal but it just wasn't built for that. Also the thingy (I still dont know what to call it) isn't a mule, I think it is actually a 40s mower with a car engine in it. So I guess I don't need help with it anymore, thanks though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks