• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Identification Help needed

CONFEDR8

I also forgot a few things. First off, last week, I was digging through the pine needles in the cab and I found a shovel head cover dated 1945. I think it is a M-1943 shovel cover but I am not sure. Where would the tools be if the shovel and whatever else were still there? Secondly, I was looking through the pictures and I realized that there is a glove compartment. Would this normally hold the manual or just random crap, or both? And lastly, in the cab, I was still finding stuff, like a few small pulleys and other stuff (though I can remember. Depending on the size, are these stock to these wreckers or are these also aftermarket?

Jeepsinker

If you climb up onto the wrecker bed and stand between the cab and the crane, you are standing on the toolboxes. The deck is the lids of them. To open them, grab the edge toward the crane and lift up toward the cab. They may be rusted shut though.
The pulleys are likely factory equipment. Wreckers came with many different sets of heavy, large, and some small light block and tackle sets and snatchblocks.

Last edited:

CONFEDR8

Ok, cool. I kinda figured that the pulleys were factory but I wanted to make sure. I didn't know that what I kept climbing on was the toolbox. EVERYONE PRAY THAT THE TOOLS ARE THERE :). I do know this is a stupid question but I am curious before I open it. Do you know if the manuals are in the glove compartment?

Edit: Also with the glove compartment, are there any holes in it or the only entrance is from the cab? The reason why I ask is because there is a wasp nest somewhere around there and I would rather not get stung by opening it.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I'm going to go ahead and definitely say no, the manuals are not in there, nor were they ever. The wasp nest is most likely under the dash or in the upper corner in the back of the cab. That's where they like to nest for some reason. There are no other holes in the glovebox unless someone drilled or cut it.

CONFEDR8

Ok thanks jeepsinker. Well the nest wasn't in the cab because I have been inside so many times and they haven't swarmed at me. I don't know where they would be. Hopefully not the tool bin.

jhooah

I have one of these (well the VMPA does and I maintain it) Plenty of expensive parts, but then I don't break it that often. REALLY useful to lift things onto trailers, around the yard, the turret of the Sherman, an M60 Tank engine, overhead beams for my garage, etc. Who cares about towing a vehicle, let a modern rollback take care of that, insure it for $50 a year. it's great for displays as no one see's them around (at a local show we hung an M151 up in the air to transfer it to a truck for hauling away one year, and a mule for maintenance another year)
The cab bows are the same on the Deuce, plenty out there, expect to pay around $250 for a soft cab top cover or more.
Yes, if a hose blows under load it can get messy, I had one give out and it cost $60 to have it made.
We used it to tow the local museum's T-97 SP gun show in a video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RmkmKYBKYg

Advice? Drain the fuel tank, there will likely be a ton of water in it from condensation, then bleed the fuel and have someone standing by to cover the air intake in case your injector pump is rusted in full throttle position. If it starts, it will crawl really slow taking forever to get past 30mph, and on a 3 mile stretch you might hit 55mph (likely less) It does run faster after it warms up though, so give some thought to warming the beast up 1st.
Otriggers are there for a reason, use them, but be advised nothing is automatic, they are ARMSTRONG outriggers and I tend to be lazy using the crane off the back in a direct fashion VS. the side whenever possible. Rear winch 40K, front 20K, with double wire pulley youcould lift 20K, would need a wiffle tree if lifting a Deuce for towing, if not the hook will crease the hood on the towed vehicle and possibly the radiator...:sad:
I have fun with it, took a gallon of paint to change it from Fire Engine purple (faded red) to 1968 Green. The one your looking at was likley from the late 60's to early 70's as well, they stayed in service until the 90's. Manuals are available on-line, don';t confuse them withthe M800 series which has the same rear bed but totally different dash layout, engine. Bearings for the wheels set me back about $80 per bearing from memory, they are huge and expensive, ours must have sat in a pool of water for a long while to rust as bad as they did, but a little heavy lifting and elbow grease and we were up and running.
Enjoy it. Value unrestored: 5K, running:8-12K dreaming of a business sale, 15K+ The Littlefield auction had two wereckers go for sale last weekend and they went for around 8K from memory and status was unknown as far as running.
The 5 Ton engine has a different turbo, possibly different set of pistons and possibly a different injector pump but it's the baisc Deuce multi-fuel engine which is why she lacks speed with all that extra weight (22K?) on her.
V/R W Winget
Vid of transfer in the rain:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjoVysJRKxA

Last edited:

CONFEDR8

Wow, thanks for all the info jhooah. I am adding stuff to a list I want to check this time around, like the chassis, engine, now gas tank, tool box, and many other items. If you were to through out a number, how much would it cost to replace the hydraulic hoses. I am just curious and seeing what different people have to say.

Also, does anyone know how to inspect the hydraulic cylinders? How can I tell if there is a major problem with them?

Last edited:

CONFEDR8

Yes Sir.i think I have the perfect opportunity coming up within the next couple of weeks.

Edit: Sorry guys. It may seem like a long time but I want this to go off perfectly and wait for the perfect timing (even though the wrecker is everything but that).

Last edited:

CONFEDR8

Hey Guys. Um, I found out today that the PTO shaft from the engine to the crane is shot. I don't know what happened or how bad it is. Is this a major problem and could this be the reason why the hydraulics aren't connected to the boom?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is just my educated opinion but I think you are looking at a parts truck. Unless your mission in life is to save a multi-fuel wrecker from the scrapper you will be putting far more money into this project than you will ever get out of it. I'd offer them less than scrap price for it and if they let you have it you can do an honest evaluation of it and determine if it's worth saving. If not you can sell hard to find parts off it until it's stripped and then scrap it out and recoup your investment. Been there, done that and got the wrecker t-shirt.

CONFEDR8

So what would be the price of "...less than scrap value..."? I mean it is a shame and again, I don't want to see a veteran get scrapped but like you said, it will suck in more that it will ever give me back.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will suck you dry. Take .10 cents plus or minus x 30,000 lbs as a rough number. I get an offer of 3k for the truck. Or you can spend 20k plus to get something that runs reliable. Probably more.

CONFEDR8

Man I am torn between this. The only reason why I wanted one of the wreckers is because this was right here and I believed and I still do, that I could fix it up. But if I hadn't know about it or seen it, I probably would have looked in the direction of a M715 that I saw. I will figure something out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks