• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker people! Good deal?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, so I found this wrecker below on my local craigslist. It is about a 2 hour drive from me through the mountains. I haven't called the guy yet, but plan on doing it tomorrow to check on how many miles are on it and the interior condition. I have been eying it for a few days now and I gotta convince the wife that is a good buy, or else Ill just be sitting here drooling. Maybe sleeping on the porch or in the truck if I buy it. If anyone else is interested in it I would be able to go pick it up and store it. Also how heavy is one of these things? My M-61 is pretty heavy but my 1 ton diesel tows it on a gooseneck all the time without any issue. The posting

70 Kaiser 6x6 5 ton wrecker, Has CRANE picks 20,0000# 23' PICK HIEGHT 20000# WINCH ON FRONT CUMMINS MTR $4500 0B0

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I was thinking with all the snow we have up here it would be great for recovery. Heck even putting my 10' plow on the front with the wrecker on the rear would give me GREAT traction. I would be using it also to go up and get firewood. Alot of slag piles here are 1 - 3ft diameter logs that are 15 - 30ft long and almost kill ya down there crawling all over it cutting it up. Would make it alot easier I believe. trying to tell the wife I would make the money back plowing snow and recovery during the winter within a month or so

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If everything works, has a lot of the BII, 45 is a good price, getting the goodies is what cost a ton,

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall the exact weights on it but you can forget about hauling it with your 1-ton.

13 MIKE

A running 816 is worth 4500 all day long. Be prepared, it weighs about 32,000 lbs.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My M543A2 weighs 34000lbs. Which is close to the M816 in design. But the Cummins 250 and longer frame add probably 1K lbs more. Forget towing it. $4500 is a great deal.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Some thoughts from the former owner of a money pit.......errrrr M816 wrecker.

If it has the Cummins in it it will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.....even running the crane will use a lot of fuel since you have to idle it up. With the multi-fuel you can at least use alternative fuels.

Make sure all the hydrolics and air systems work.....all of these systems must work properly to operate the crane.

The hoses cost a ton of money to replace and that big tank on the crane takes several hundred bucks worth of hydrolic oil. Blow the wrong hose and all of it will end up on the ground.

License plates and insurace: I put farm tags on mine for a little over a hundred bucks but insurance ate my lunch. I had a farm policy with Progressive that would not cover me towing anything....even my own stuff. Commercial tow insurance is expensive and worth every penny if you get into an accident.

I have no experience with snow plowing but an M816 has a turning radius just slightly smaller than the Queen Mary.

I used to help the wrecker driver at my unit in Germany and unless you have chains the wrecker is like a hog on ice on slippery surfaces.

If you get it stuck and have to do a rearward recovery you are going to miss that rear winch. And speaking of winching, it is a two man job. One guy can do it but it is dangerous and can get you injured and damage equipment. You will need a co-driver if you are out where you might get into trouble.

If you do get it stuck you are going to need a vehicle at least as large as it to get it out (unless you are slightly stuck). When I had mine towed it cost 300 bucks for the wrecker driver to take the key out of his pocket to crank the Freightliner that towed it.

Unless you have a buddy with recovery capabilty you might think about that.

Also be aware that on a good day with no load the wrecker is slow......hook a good load to it and you are going to see the scenery slowly.

The price is good no doubt.....if it is not missing critical components or in need of a lot of hoses and other items. As mentioned above the tow bars, snatch blocks, chains and other items needed to do recovery can add up fast.

The 250 Cummins is an old school diesel engine....usually reliable and tougher than woodpecker lips.....but it is getting harder to find an old school diesel mechanic that can work on them. Parts can be a challenge to find also.....and sometimes very expensive.

There may be a reason why the gentleman is selling it at just above scrap price.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well my family is all loggers so equipment to get it out wont be an issue. Grapple skidders and excavators. Even got my other 5 ton if needed. I know when you get stuck the only thing that can get you out is a bigger truck or equal truck that isnt afraid to hit it. I dont tend to put myself in a situation where i am going to get stuck unless I know someone is there close by to hook up and get it out before the suction happens. I figured for the price it was worth the $50 in fuel to go look at. I can work on most diesels and my father in law has 4 350 big cams sitting in the garage that all run so if I need a repower its easy to come by. I would be more tempted to put some good semi wheels and good drive tires on it since we have an OVER supply of 22.5s and 24.5s laying around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks