• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman screwed the pooch

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my "radiator" story Wreckerman...

In 2000 after I got my M1009 back from IL (and after drinking a 12 pack with the little lady), I tell her: "Let's go four-wheeling". She climbs in and I proceed to drive into my field knocking down 1-3" dia trees. My CUCV knocked everything down except for the larger trees which took backing up and charging "at ramming speed"...

All was fine and I was laughing so hard, I could barely see to drive. After coming out of my field, I do a u-turn and go back in the way I came. Came out the other end (starting point) and parked the CUCV to drink a few more. I look over from where I'm sitting and see liquid streaming out under the front. I walked over to the front and discover I pierced the radiator with a piece of tree branch and broke the plastic grill in a couple of places (pieces still in place).

The radiator repair cost me $250.00 for that 10 mins of "fun"...

Moral of the story: don't drive back on trails of knocked down trees AND think about NOT four-wheeling after drinking adult beverages... :p
Relating to this story I learned a few decades back that my list of broken parts was commensurate with the volume of alcoholic beverages consumed. Glad to say I'm not breaking parts anymore. (rental vehicles not included)

renovate7

Recovry4x4 your first post was some funny stuff... I spent many years in the Material Handling Industry here in Central Florida. A wheel chock was always an easy sale. You could tell who had already had problems, they actually thanked you for selling them one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent.

I've got a hood with a little rust and several grill guards that are yours for the taking if you want to come get them.
I've got a radiator also but I'm hanging on to it for when I do something like this.;)

landfillman

We load our rolloff containers on soft ground and load them by letting the the truck roll back and let the reeving winch pull truck under the can. We have a line of 40 and 20 yard cans. We leave the drivers door open so the driver can apply brakes as needed. ANd we always ge t the can on the end. Had a driver the other day get a can mid line left his door open. Truck stopped rolling when the door caught the can that was still in line. Sprung hinges and a new latch late and its fixed.

Like others stated its just a truck glad it didnt hurt anything but some pride.
I lost a friend in college machinist school one time He was the las one out from his job one night and went to lock the gate and left his truck running past the gate. The parking brake cable on his truck snapped and he never saw the truck comming.

lacoda56

Glad nobody was hurt, but it was clearly Elmo's fault. Our possums up here in the north are always trying to be wheel chocks. They just can't figure out that it's a bad idea to chock a wheel at 60 mph!:shock:

olewhiskey

Well....me and Elmo got a visit from Mr. Murphy this morning.

I cranked up the work deuce to slave off the M275.....I left it sitting on fairly flat land with the E-brake on.

I went into the shop to get the cables and as I was coming out the door I heard a loud "BANG" and the van trailer in front of the shop moved back about a foot.

The deuce had rolled and hit the front of the van.....spearing the radiatior with one of the glad hands.

The hood and grill are trashed......don't know if the radiator got into the fan or not.

Before he left Murphy added insult to injury.....when I slaved off the M275 (using another deuce) the engine went wide open throttle. I shut it down before anything came unglued.

SInce that is my primary recovery deuce I am screwed, blued and tattooed as far as getting anything back from Redstone until repairs are made.

I need a hood, grill and radiator (at least).

Can anybody close help a brother out????
Whatever you need man I will hunt up, I may be going near a yard I found in South Georginistan.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to thinking here. A proverb to consider. Sometimes you screw the pooch, sometimes the pooch screws you.
In light of brother Richards red face, I'd say he was on the receiveng end of the screwage.

davidkroberts

well until you get it fixed you can use my M818 for recoveries if you want to, im not doing too much with it. I am a few miles off but its licensed and insured and i dont mind. Just bring your own wheel chock, mine are being used

Danger Ranger

Good question, I vote you find out for us goldeneagle....:idea:

Sorry to hear the WM, glad you and Elmo are both ok. You gotta watch him you know, always chasin the chicken...

kastein

That radiator actually looks patchable. Some copper flashing and a few hours of quality time with a plumber's torch and flux/solder and you will be good to go, though running slightly warmer.

I have had to patch radiators in the woods to get friends home, fortunately they had a copper radiator. This is why I do not like installing aluminum radiators in off road vehicles, though you can patch them by making a mold/form around the bad area and filling it with thinned down JB Weld.

Heavysteven

Looks like you need a hood, radiator, and grill for sure. I would ask for help when doing the repair. I could barely pull out my own radiator.

On the bright side it's an opportunity for you to some PCMS. Adjusting the parking brake was one of the first repairs I did. It's so tight now you have to pull up on the handle hard.

Glad it did not run you or any one else over. Seems like there has been alot of accidents lately.