• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckers: Do people buy them for hobby or use?

fasttruck

The crane cable is run by a hydraulic motor controlled by a valve under the dashboard in the crane operator's bucket when the power divider is set in the "crane" position. Changing out the valves is not an easy job.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M936A1, as stated above its fun. i use it for hobby logging. over all its does what i need safely and lets me recover logs of more or less any size. relatively cheap to buy (compared to commercial trucks in the same condition), less so to operate. down side is, its a lot of stuff to keep leak tight and working, which translates to maintenance $$ and time, i have found it does have several limitations, the army is not short of labor, so it is designed for and army of guys to be working it. one person can not use the winches, you can add remotes (i'm in the process of adding a remote to the rear winch from Lodar). and the boom is run from the seat so if alone thats a lot of up and down the truck to make a lift. The boom head does not swivel, which means you can only pull from a very narrow angle outside of straight or the cable will pop off its sheave and you get to buy a new cable (don't ask, but you only make that mistake once). and it has flashing lights soooo way better than a regular 5 ton...LOL

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use. Loaded up and old car that was used for target practice in the dump trailer. Had enough scrap weight to buy lunch. Just took a good look at the pic and without the roof the car looks like a red frog. Rivet Rivet

Attachments

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Ok, now I really understand why everyone owns a wrecker. You need a wrecker to support your other 5 ton truck(s).

My new transfer case has arrived. In a can. On 3 stacked pallets. Weighing 1,000 lbs.
I had it shipped to my office to reduce costs. They are understandably cranky about this thing squatting in their office and would like it gone.

I'm renting trailers and pallet jacks so that I can get it home and into my garage. It's a logistical hassle that would have been made easier by owning my own wrecker

...until the wrecker breaks down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks