• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckers: Do people buy them for hobby or use?

fasttruck

Reference post 13: A wrecker has about triple the grease points as a cargo truck. Neglect them at your own peril. Some of them under the crane are devilish hard to get to also. Grease is cheap, parts cost money. Be guided accordingly.

Post 32: About half the pics in this post illustrate lifts being done without jacks. ?

redrustyhill

Are those extensions hydraulic or do you have to slide those in and out manually and then slide a security pin through??
The outriggers are manual. Pull them out and manually turn the screw jack. Its a PITA. If you mean the boom extension, that is hydraulic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

redrustyhill

Reference post 13: A wrecker has about triple the grease points as a cargo truck. Neglect them at your own peril. Some of them under the crane are devilish hard to get to also. Grease is cheap, parts cost money. Be guided accordingly.

Post 32: About half the pics in this post illustrate lifts being done without jacks. ?
Post #32, the first pic lifting the boiler squatted the back end pretty good but i couldn't use the outriggers because i had to move it 50yds with the crane. The other lifts were not heavy enough to need the jacks deployed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't always run out outriggers out when I am doing a short move.
Also I don't lift load more than necessary in other words if I swing load and truck tilts it's not going to turn over because load is not high enough to bring truck off of ground.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I make most lifts with out putting the outriggers (jacks) out. the decision is based on weight of load, truck being level, and how far out the load will go. for me most lifts are in the 100's of lbs to 1 ton, so on level ground, not fully extended over the side, the truck hardly knows its lifting anything. now for bigger logs (>1/2 ton) and over the side, not on level, you bet those heavy hard to pull out puppies are out and have cribbing under them. since i have never lifted anything much over 2 tons, level is the biggest driver for using the out riggers.

charlesmann

I make most lifts with out putting the outriggers (jacks) out. the decision is based on weight of load, truck being level, and how far out the load will go. for me most lifts are in the 100's of lbs to 1 ton, so on level ground, not fully extended over the side, the truck hardly knows its lifting anything. now for bigger logs (>1/2 ton) and over the side, not on level, you bet those heavy hard to pull out puppies are out and have cribbing under them. since i have never lifted anything much over 2 tons, level is the biggest driver for using the out riggers.
iv got 2 pecan logs, that when i got home, i hauled them across the CAT scales, then reweighed after dumping them off. the load was 12,600 lbs.

that is a 42" bar on the stihl. that 8hr job would have taken maybe 2 hrs if i would have had a wrecker. worst, or best part, once i get my wreckers i have to move them so i can set my wide cut sawmill up where they are laying, then load them onto the mill to slab
pecan trunk size1.jpgpecan loading1.jpgpecan branch size.jpgla pecan loaded5.jpgpecan trunk size1.jpg

the last pic, top right, is another pecan that is just a tad over 60" across. not sure its weight, it took a 10,000# WLL d-ring and turned into a v-ring. i upgraded to 15k WLL d-rings after that load.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
iv got 2 pecan logs, that when i got home, i hauled them across the CAT scales, then reweighed after dumping them off. the load was 12,600 lbs.

that is a 42" bar on the stihl. that 8hr job would have taken maybe 2 hrs if i would have had a wrecker. worst, or best part, once i get my wreckers i have to move them so i can set my wide cut sawmill up where they are laying, then load them onto the mill to slab
View attachment 786764View attachment 786761View attachment 786762View attachment 786763View attachment 786764

the last pic, top right, is another pecan that is just a tad over 60" across. not sure its weight, it took a 10,000# WLL d-ring and turned into a v-ring. i upgraded to 15k WLL d-rings after that load.
excellent, i use my wrecker for similar logs, move 5 ft dia white oak, figured each 8 ft butt log was pushing 2 tons. love your big the saw, i only have a 36 in bar. pic is not the big logs
Resized_20170917_182107.jpg

charlesmann

gstirling, yes, them 60" diameter WO logs weigh in excess of 4000 lbs.
is that a norwood mill you have there?

what do you do with WO that big?

iv got some RO that i ned to fell that are close 50" DBH that intends to use as trailer decking for my GN and BP. my bp wood wasn't treated, so it rotted out extremely fast, but my gn decking, for the most part is still good, but loading these big logs has busted holes in it that i have to keep them covered with 2 3/4" sheets of plywood.
iv been told RO isn't the best for trailer decking, but WO is. just don't many WO big enough to mess with on my property in east tx.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter

iv got some RO that i ned to fell that are close 50" DBH that intends to use as trailer decking for my GN and BP. my bp wood wasn't treated, so it rotted out extremely fast, but my gn decking, for the most part is still good, but loading these big logs has busted holes in it that i have to keep them covered with 2 3/4" sheets of plywood.
iv been told RO isn't the best for trailer decking, but WO is. just don't many WO big enough to mess with on my property in east tx.
yes its a norwood lumbermate 2000 with a 13 hp engine (so on the smaller end of mills). so far i have no direct plans for the big WO logs... thinking live edge/resin tables as they have some rot in the core that makes it less useful for large wide straight lumber but could add a cool factor for tables tops. I've not heard there is much difference between Red oak vs. White oak as decking, the open cell/closed cell structure difference between the two woods may be the reason for white oak being better decking untreated. but if either can dry between wettings i would have thought they would last like barn wood does. have also been accumulating several larger (30in or so) walnut logs for projects yet to be determined LOL....
buy the way i have that M-1061 trailer, it is a cheap trailer, super strong, added ramps, but has some limitations, the biggest being backing the truck to turn around, it tracks straight perfect... super easy, but making a backing T turn around is very difficult for me. the axle spread plus short hitch makes the difference between backing and turning but not jackknifing a very narrow window. but it could just be me...LOL

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter

heres on of the top butt logs of the white oaklog .jpeg

charlesmann

heres on of the top butt logs of the white oakView attachment 787196
boy that would make some nice slabs for tables.

iv got a black wn that is 46" at the butt/stump cut, tapering down to 38" over 8.5'.
my mill I'm building, once operational, will be able to handle around an 80" log and a 72" cant.

as for the ro possibly holding up as well as wo, I'm thinking of stripping my trailer boards, cutting the ro in true 2x6s, screwing them down green and letting them dry in place, which has been done for building a structure, and supposedly works for trailer decking as well, then once they have dried as much as they will while screwed down (6-12 months) pull them, send them to the local kiln, let him dry them the rest of the way and immediately upon removal from the kiln, saturate them with some kind of protective sealant. i did that with store bought untreated 2x6s, soaked them with thompsons water sealant for a dog/hog/atv trailer 7 yrs ago, and there isn't any sign or rot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks