• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WRMorrison's "just another bobber" thread

350TacoZilla

project is looking good, you cant go wrong with the trailer bed on a deuce in my mind I have always liked the look they have to them. Thats funny about tires I'll have to check mine now, I had actually posted a thread asking about the MTVR wheels since I found a place that had brand new never mounted on truck michelin 16.00's on them for good price but doesnt seem to be much info out there on them so its good you are posting up info .

Last edited:

peashooter

Thanks for the pic 'zilla; I appreciate it! I stopped by today to take a few more pics of the (apparently) MTVR wheels and tires:

View attachment 436210View attachment 436209View attachment 436208

In the last pic, I assume this is the date code? If I'm not mistaken, these tires were manufactured in the 51st week of 2009? I'm currently researching to find out what the backspacing is on these wheels so that I can compare them to the MRAP's (since I know they'll work for me with readily available adapters). If I can't find the info, I'll try and break one of these down to measure (NOT looking forward to that...).

I was able to pull a few numbers / stampings off the wheels also:

MFR 20076 (Titan Wheels)
05-15913
20x10.0

04 07 10

DOT "T"

MAX TIRE PRESSURE 105 PSI

Titan EW 03 01 10 S1

05 0949350

USA 20x10.0 312

The pilot diameter of the two halves also varied slightly. The outer section of the wheel had a pilot diameter of roughly 12.1875", and the inner section had a pilot diameter of roughly 12.125". The bolt pattern measured 13.1875". *all measurements were taken with tape measure and eyeball*

-WRM
These look like MRAP wheels to me. There are many different styles of them both in aluminum and steel. I think I know of at least 6 different versions of the MRAP wheels now. Are you sure the center hole is 12.125-11.1875"? I'm going to guess they are 11.125-11.1875". Let me know if you need any adapters;)

WRMorrison

These look like MRAP wheels to me. There are many different styles of them both in aluminum and steel. I think I know of at least 6 different versions of the MRAP wheels now. Are you sure the center hole is 12.125-11.1875"? I'm going to guess they are 11.125-11.1875". Let me know if you need any adapters;)
No, they really do measure ~12.125-12.1875, but I'm sure the 10 hole bolt circle of the wheel is the same even though the pilot diameter is different.

-WRM

peashooter

No, they really do measure ~12.125-12.1875, but I'm sure the 10 hole bolt circle of the wheel is the same even though the pilot diameter is different.

-WRM
I stand corrected, its an eye teaser for me then. I figured a 12" pilot hole with a 13" hole pattern of 1" bolts would nearly overlap. You are correct in that the 10 hole pattern would match the mraps anyway if its: 10x -1" holes on 13.1875" diameter (to center of holes).

WRMorrison

I got one of the tires dismounted, so I'll get some definitive measurements of the wheel as soon as I can get it on the CMM.

-WRM

WRMorrison

I stand corrected, its an eye teaser for me then. I figured a 12" pilot hole with a 13" hole pattern of 1" bolts would nearly overlap. You are correct in that the 10 hole pattern would match the mraps anyway if its: 10x -1" holes on 13.1875" diameter (to center of holes).
Once again...open mouth = insert foot. Not sure what I was thinking when I said it (and later swore by it...), but you're right; the pilot opening is closer to 11" and some change. :roll: :oops:

I've got one wheel off the tire for measurement; it's sitting in my garage. Just by looking at the pictures of MRAP wheels online, they sure do appear to be identical (at least to my untrained eye), but how can you explain the mounted 16.00's? I highly doubt that the seller (who deals in MAJOR volumes of wheels and tires) would have mounted them (run-flats and all) just to make a little sale to me. Did MRAP's ever come with 16.00's? Do other vehicles use MRAP wheels?

I thought I had a bookmark somewhere about MRAP specs, but can't seem to find it at the moment. If I'm measuring the backspacing correctly (from outermost edge of the wheel to the mounting flange), the backspacing on my wheels is right at 11" flat.

-WRM

peashooter

Once again...open mouth = insert foot. Not sure what I was thinking when I said it (and later swore by it...), but you're right; the pilot opening is closer to 11" and some change. :roll: :oops:

I've got one wheel off the tire for measurement; it's sitting in my garage. Just by looking at the pictures of MRAP wheels online, they sure do appear to be identical (at least to my untrained eye), but how can you explain the mounted 16.00's? I highly doubt that the seller (who deals in MAJOR volumes of wheels and tires) would have mounted them (run-flats and all) just to make a little sale to me. Did MRAP's ever come with 16.00's? Do other vehicles use MRAP wheels?

I thought I had a bookmark somewhere about MRAP specs, but can't seem to find it at the moment. If I'm measuring the backspacing correctly (from outermost edge of the wheel to the mounting flange), the backspacing on my wheels is right at 11" flat.

-WRM
I'm sure the wheels aren't probably offically called MRAP's, but that seems to be the most common vehicle they are put on that Im aware of. They are used on other vehicles, but I cant find many pictures at the moment. Even some PLS and other trailers have wheels with the same pilot hole and bolt pattern. In any event, I used to keep a pretty good eye on GL for the wheels to go up for auction. I've seen several different versions of the wheels with many different size tires. I'm sure some vehicle at some time had those wheels and tires on it. Below is a pic of a Vehicle Mounted Mine Detector VMMD HUSKY, they use these size rims with the CTIS. I'm not sure what size tires are on it, but they look large. I saw quite a few of these larger oddball (to me) tires with mrap wheels come up for auction out of Barstow CA.

Also regarding the measuring error; you probably are like me in that when using a tape measure you probably start at 1" sometimes to get a cleaner starting mark.....and then forget to subtract that inch after:) I've had many parts that were too long because of that oversight.

Here is a link to a Drawing of the steel 12 bolt MRAP wheel, 11" backspacing is correct: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Wheel-Thread&p=1248147&viewfull=1#post1248147

Attachments

WRMorrison

Yep, that's the drawing I was talking about but couldn't find; thanks! After the wallet cools off a bit, I might be in contact with you for some adapters. I have the capability to make my own, but depending on the price of materials and if there's shop time available, I might just be money ahead getting them from you.

@Rob: :p I design and route complex APU's on a daily basis but apparently I can't be trusted with a tape measure...:lol:

-WRM

350TacoZilla

I hope I didnt cause you a bunch of work with wrong info but was just trying to point out there MAY be a difference for the adapters, didnt want you to spend the money on adapters and have them not fit.

The wheel bolt pattern may be same from mrap to MTVR I wasnt sure as I never got that answered when I asked about them, and again I could be wrong but I believe the MTVR is only one currently to come with 16.00R20 most of the trailer assemblies I have personally walked up to are the oddball 16.00R21.

WRMorrison

I'm in the process of getting quotes for the wheel adapter plates and the 8" lift. If I can't get the cost down enough I may just purchase the items from members on this board. I've got access to everything needed to make just about anything, but material costs will make the final make-buy decision.

-WRM

540fordman

Good deal. Definitely shop around for steel prices. Around here, I've found out that prices can be all over the board. So, I assume the wheels you bought are gonna work?

WRMorrison

That article from 4W&OR talks about the dangers of front lift blocks; mine are in the rear. I would never use blocks in the front of any vehicle. The only negative of having blocks in the rear is the (strong) possibility of wheel hop, and I'll address that when it happens. Also, my blocks were designed with a lip both in front of and behind the axle; there's no way it could "spit" out the block.

-WRM

WRMorrison

A little update; I picked up the steel for the 8" lift and currently have a local shop (and friend of mine) welding it all up for me. I've got a Miller 180, but I'd feel better with a hotter welder laying beads versus hoping mine is big enough. That, and I'm pretty rusty at welding, and don't want to practice on something as important as a lift. Hopefully, they'll be done in a day or so and I can install it sometime in the next week or two.

Also got a little work in this morning; knocked out a few more rivets that I've been working on and finally cut the frame...no turning back now!

20130728_132128.jpg20130728_132137.jpg20130728_135033.jpg

-WRM