• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WRMorrison's "just another bobber" thread

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I could figure out how to attach photos in line with the text that describes them; this forum is the complete opposite of every other forum I'm on in regards to how pictures are posted...

-WRM
The "Insert Inline" button does that.

insertinline.jpg

WRMorrison

I called the tire shop today, and my tires are all ready for pickup tomorrow!

:naner:

He said that the run-flats didn't need to be removed to patch the leaks (there was only one tire with a leak anyway). Here's how he patched the tire with the run-flat installed (just in case anyone else can use the same method):

- remove wheel (obviously)
- stand tire up with hole/leak on bottom
- put the forks of your forklift together, and drive them inside the center hole
- put a ~8" long 4x4 block on top of the forks and use this piece to lift up the run-flat as much as possible without lifting the tire off the ground
- use a bead spreader of some sort (everybody's got one of those, right? :roll: :p )
- reach around the run-flat and patch the tire as normal

It sounds like quite the process, but they apparently made it work. I can't wait to bolt on the adapters and throw these on the truck Saturday!

-WRM

WRMorrison

Wheels/tires are on!!!

:naner::naner::naner:

Still not quite drivable yet, there's a few small things I need to take care of, but the motivation is high at the moment!

-WRM

20140111_144753.jpg20140111_124344.jpg20140111_124332.jpg20140111_114559.jpg

WRMorrison

Wow that is giant (the picture with you in front makes that obvious)
Well, I'm fairly short (5'8"), but those headlights are eye-level. It's certainly a monster to me! I might even need some wire rope or chain "steps" to help getting in and out of the cab...lol.

-WRM

WRMorrison

Now that the truck is lifted and the XZL's are on, it's time to address the steering (or lack of it). I'll be adding power steering the usual way; with a Saginaw 710IHC box. First, I have to remove the stock, Ross system. The stock pitman arm came off easily with a HF puller:

pitman_arm[1].jpg

I've removed the wheel/tire and the LF fender to give me a little more room (ladder sure comes in handy...):

tire_and_fender_removed[1].jpg

I've been told that the Ross box is best removed by splitting the case while it's mounted, and then pulling out the rest. I've got every bolt out (except for one "problem" bolt), and I can't get the dang case to separate for some reason. It feels as if there's still something hanging up. I'll look at it more this week.

last_bolt_on_Ross_box[1].jpg

-WRM

WRMorrison

LOL...sorry for the lack of updates. The bolt is out...I had to cut it off. I haven't had a chance to make it back out there to work on it lately, but I know that the steering box is going to give me fits trying to get it out. I've removed every bolt from the box that I can see, but the halves don't seem to want to separate. I hate to destroy the box just to get it out, but it might just come to that. I got my replacement Saginaw 710IHC power steering box in the mail about a week ago, so with any luck, I'll be out working on it this weekend.

I've owned this truck for a good long while now, and I've only driven it once....I'm READY for this thing to be back on the road! If only my job would pay me to stay at home, I could have it done by now! :lol:

-WRM

SteelWarrior

Let me know how that works out for ya! - Nice build - thanks for sharing. - I looked south to see if I could see it but the snowbanks here in Maine are still a bit high. LOL

WRMorrison

Finally got the %&$@ steering box off!!!

:naner:

I won't mention how long I struggled with the removal because it was an embarrassingly long time, but glad that it's off and can now continue with progress. Also removed the outer frame reinforcing plate to make room for the power steering box.

-WRM

WRMorrison

Got the steering box temporarily installed this weekend and finished removing the steering column; not much, but baby steps...

-WRM

IMG_20140711_100920235.jpg

WRMorrison

After a long hiatus, I'm back at it! Now that the weather is cool enough to work on it and the financial drain of the holidays are over, it's time to get busy. Here's a pile of power steering goodies that showed up yesterday from m-35tom:

PS parts.jpg

With any luck, I'll be out working on it this weekend.

-WRM

WRMorrison

Ya, cool weather, that's what I've been waiting for, lol
LOL...well, it's a little different out here in the desert. The weather has been good for a while now, I just couldn't spare the money until now. It's too hot in the summer out in here to be working outside (at least for me). If it's above 105°, I don't spend much time outside in the sun (which is A LOT of days out here).

-WRM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks