• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

Jericho

Guys , ( mark will laugh) ive finally figured out how to post a photo, (mark has done it for me remotely, thank you mark ! my pic is in the 5 ton side , BUT now whn I mention something I can send a pic, Bet you STUB is waiting for a goat M 60 mount, ill try to brave the snow and show you what I did instead BMG prices were outlandish and then they were sold out, I Know your a purest , but I wanted to mount my M 1919 in 30 06 hence a different solution . Stub ., looks good look forward to the swivel on !

wsucougarx

Offset Mount Arrived Today

Got my 18 lb box today;-). Have you ever bought a part that you've been looking for, only to have to buy another part for the said part which led to another part? Well, this viscous circle is starting with this part. Now, I've got to start my hunt for a long pintle M142 M60 mount, which then lead to a M60 replica or airsoft.
Project Cost:
1) M561 Offset Arm $165+shipping ($35)

Attachments

Last edited:

Jericho

If your careful and patient you can build a demilled functionable M 60 for just a little more than a replica, The parts are out there ,not like 10 years ago but you just have to look. I build most of my guns, except all of mine are shootable, I try to do at least one a year, The M 60 stuff comes and goes on the internet. I would expect to pay around 12 to 1500 for the bits and pieces, helps if you have some experience with milling, welding and bucking solid rivits. Don't buy the first parts you find, I wait until I see four or five items Sarco and Numrich are a good start . I do a deep plug weld on my SHOW barrels and paint the tips orange , Prices vary WILDLY at times don't buy in haste Assembly time depends on the parts you amass , a 1919 runs about 40 hours start to finish a M2 50 BMG I find takes less time actually Check BMG if you haven't already for mount bits and pieces, if they don't have it no one has, but, they arnt cheap

wsucougarx

Offset Mount has a friend on it's way

As mentioned earlier, the stub on the fender needed company and finally had a friend enroute. Well, that friend showed up. And now that friend too needs company and now has a friend enroute as well. You following me? More pics to follow.
I'm telling you, that offset arm just looks too lonely hanging out there all by it's lonesome. Well, as soon as that shows up, there will be another friend that'll be located to complete the setup. More to follow;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Carrier Bows

Today was the first official day of vacation and first nice day we've had for two months! The highlight of the day was my wife driving the Goat out of the garage with the two youngest ones copiloting. My wife did really well! She really had fun. I suggested we buy her one as well:p. That was quickly shot down as she said she would just take mine:shock:.
I finally got around to taking care of the carrier bows. They've been sitting out in the elements awaiting for their paint. Today was finally that day. I made a little platform out of 2x4's to keep them upright. I spent about an hour going through the 8 bows making sure I grabbed the ones with alike bow angles and heights. Sometime, I'm going to put the other set of bows on the platform and drape my damaged carrier cover on to do repairs.
https://youtu.be/L3NDQwGhUkg

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

M142 Long Pintle M60 Cradle

Well, the friend showed up today. I got a smirk from Rick, the USPS postal carrier. He asked what parts did I get this time:p. I got this M60 carrier from a fellow SS, reckmilparts. The cradle was actually pretty great shape. Just a little patina around the edges and corners. Nothing a little Behr won't cover. Now the hunt is on for a M60 replica or airsoft. That'll have to wait until I get more funds.
I took a little break from the action to mow the lawn. I come back to the Goat only to find another driver in the ready. Darn cats;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Jericho

yor a lucky man, Have never been able to convince my wife to drive either of my goats, or any of my other trucks. Shes a keeper !

wsucougarx

M142 Pinned Up

A series of small bubble wrapped baggies made their way to my mail box over the past couple days. The M142 finally has quick release pins to keep her still. I attempted to locate the USGI pins to no avail. These pins are similar to the ones that came with the Truss kit so that's all I needed to order them. I made pin retaining chains from some USGI radiator cap chains laying around.
Well, once again I have an uncompleted project needing another friend:razz: (I know it sounds ridiculous but I've got to keep this rolling until it's complete). So after hours and hours of research and pondering I finally made my decision on the said friend to complete this project. I hate to keep you hanging but I've got to keep you hanging. I will say it is made NOT of cheap aluminum/plastic. It is made of manganese phosphate coated steel and rubber and weighs in at 25 lbs. However, it will never go boom, boom, boom. But it can go psst psst psst.:shock:

Attachments

Last edited:

Jericho

Pip Pins, QDs, Push Pins , all the same , tons of them in aircraft and support equipment, Looking very good, I havn't managed to source all the parts you have, Good finds! I took a different approach and on a different vein. Still looking to see what your going to hang in the mount , Gas primed simulator M 60 ? Mag 58 , more readily available . ? my favorite M 1919 ?

wsucougarx

M60 Options

Well, I don't have any updated to share so I thought I'd share the mystery package that is currently en route. As you know, I've been working on the weapon platform for this Goat. I've been spending more time than I probably should researching what I was going to get. As you know, the Gama Goat passenger side mount was designed for the M60 GPMG. So my research was into which option to go in. I was looking at a Springfield SA-1 (semi-auto M60), M60 replica from USGI parts, Airsoft M60's (A&K, LCT, Inokatsu, Top), and finally Resin M60's. Though these all have their own set of Pros/Con's, I had to think about what was a priority for my project.
My first option was a real firing Springfield SA-1 semi-auto M60. However, the $7,000+ price tag and liability for having a real firing weapon quickly put this option out.
Next I pondered a M60 replica made from USGI parts. I was only able to find one complete replica and that was north of $2200. Though a viable option, I was looking for something a bit less expensive.
I then shifted attention to resin type M60's. Though the price point was OK, this was quickly dismissed for two main reasons. The main reason was it is a 30ft gun in my opinion (passable as real at 30 ft only). I was also concerned with material failure with it being mounted on a driving vehicle.
The last option was the highly available and popular airsoft M60's. In the past, there was have great airsoft replicas. Manufacturers such as Top and Inokatsu were outstanding in their craftsmanship and attention to detail. However, those M60's are long gone to collectors and die hard airsofters. Those type of highly detailed airsofts are typically done in small batches only. Once their gone their gone. They do trickle in onto eBay from time to time. Now enter present day airsofts. After researching all the main sellers of airsofts, I saw there were about three different manufacturers available for the M60. The highly popular A&K M60 seemed to be offered by most sellers. These A&K are highly available and is at a great price point of around $400 for a new unit. To me the A&K lacked some key features I was after. It had the incorrect rear pistol grip, made of aluminum/plastic, flimsy bipod, flimsy carrying handle, flimsy rear sights, flimsy charging handle, incorrect coloration, and just didn't feel solid. To go with the A&K, I personally would need to make it right by replacing parts and stripping/repainting the entire weapon. I figured I would have about $800 into it once I got it to where I wanted it. Sure I could run the thing out of the box, but those "little" details would drive me nuts and bother me. Now enters the LCT.
The next airsoft option was the LCT M60VN. This was a very limited production M60. In fact, this M60 was only made between 2013-2015. They only offered 200 units worldwide. Everything about this airsoft looks correct on the outside. It is made of steel/rubber just like the real thing. In fact they went to painstaking detail by having the steel coated in manganese phosphate. They have the correct rubber rear pistol group, sturdy steel carrying handle, steel bipod, correct Saco Defense markings, and weighs in close to the real thing but a little heavier. It weighs a whopping 25 lbs!!! However, as one would have it, you pay for the attention to detail and scarcity of this system. This thing retails in at $1800!!!!! This puts this particular airsoft $1400 over the other airsoft M60. Is the attention to detail worth the extra greenbacks? It all depends on what you want in your platform. To me, this is like buying a $100,000 car and putting cheap rims/tires on it. Your once outstanding looking car is now not noticeable due to the cheap looking wheels on your car. Though it may be a subtle difference, the "builder" of a house knows where all the small flaws are.
So with all these options to consider, you can probably figure out which option I went with. I ended up with the LCT M60. I found a seller who had this system priced at $50 less and offered a 25% off. So, I ended up getting this thing for $1300. However, after selling some things from my M925A1 Gun truck project, I'm only out $200 total for this $1300 airsoft. I told my wife all that green stuff is not junk, it's an investment;-) She actually got it this time and agreed;-). So I ordered the LCT M60VN and it is currently en route. Here are some pics of an LCT M60VN. I'll take some pics of mine once it gets here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The next airsoft option was the LCT M60VN. This was a very limited production M60. In fact, this M60 was only made between 2013-2015. They only offered 200 units worldwide. Everything about this airsoft looks correct on the outside. It is made of steel/rubber just like the real thing. In fact they went to painstaking detail by having the steel coated in manganese phosphate. They have the correct rubber rear pistol group, sturdy steel carrying handle, steel bipod, correct Saco Defense markings, and weighs in close to the real thing but a little heavier. It weighs a whopping 25 lbs!!! However, as one would have it, you pay for the attention to detail and scarcity of this system. This thing retails in at $1800!!!!! This puts this particular airsoft $1400 over the other airsoft M60. Is the attention to detail worth the extra greenbacks? It all depends on what you want in your platform.
The M-60 was my squad weapon, and I remember it was chunky but didn't realize it weighed THAT much.
You forget the things that give you pain. :jumpin::mrgreen:

wsucougarx

LCT M60+M561=Thing of beauty

Got my highly anticipated shipment from Evike.com yesterday. I was chomping at the bit to get home to see what UPS brought me. I must tell you, this thing is OUTSTANDING!!!!! This piece of iron and rubber is a thing of beauty. LCT meticulously made this airsoft and this is a museum quality replica. I have absolutely no complaints or regrets spending the extra over the A&K aluminum M60. This LCT is definitely worthy to be displayed on any of my trucks;-).
I also got a couple spare M60 barrel bags to go on the hood (or bonnet for my Australian/UK friends). My Romanian neighbors were out and about so I didn't get any pics of the Goat adorning her new piece of hardware. Didn't want to scare the crap of my neighborhood liberals. They already peek through the shades at me when I'm outside8). Also here are a couple pics from The Stand. This is the only pic of an M60 w/Goat I have found on the internet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Got my highly anticipated shipment from Evike.com yesterday. I was chomping at the bit to get home to see what UPS brought me. I must tell you, this thing is OUTSTANDING!!!!! This piece of iron and rubber is a thing of beauty. LCT meticulously made this airsoft and this is a museum quality replica.
Ahh, yes, the M-60 caliber 7.62mm.
It's a horribly beautiful piece of mayhem-making machinery. :beer:

wsucougarx

Sunday drive to the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant

Had a memorable drive up to our local decommissioned Nuclear Power Plant. It's been raining for weeks on end. This afternoon showed some promise of some dry weather. I took this opportunity to load up the Goat and head up to the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant for a photo op. My wife followed me in her Suburban. The drive there was uneventful until I got 1 mile from the Plant. As I crested the main hill, I turned the corner and saw a peculiar sight. There was a Stryker vehicle idling on the left side of the road. All the hatches were secured and parking lights on. My wife later told me she wasn't very happy about "that Stryker". I inquired as to why. She stated the Stryker was tracking me with the M2HB as I passed by. Anyways, back to the story. As I passed the Stryker, I thought that was a bit out of the norm as Joint Base Lewis McChord is 60 miles away. As I continued through the winding road on my approach, all I could see were marker lights ahead of me. There it was, an entire military convoy parked and idling on the main road. It appears I drove smack dab into a military op. I approached the convoy slowly trying to figure out if I could pass....no go. So I started my 40 point turn around. I had a very captive audience staring and smiling at my curiously loud and abnormal looking truck. As I got turned around the convoy continued on and opened the road. I rubber necked my head out the side and gave the security detail Stryker a hand signal asking if I could pass. I got the thumbs up and continued on. I passed a bunch more secured Strykers on my way. Was pretty cool to see them track me with the MK19. I parked the Goat, got dome pics, and was out of there. There must have been at least 50 military vehicles and about a dozen desert tan tents set up all over. Pretty interesting to see all this hardware on a non-military establishment.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks