• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTK: LMTV Shock absorber options

coachgeo

So I ordered some Monroe Magnum 65456 but they are way to short , are there two versions of these shocks? I measured the 65456 and extended its 26" but the Monroe chart is stating EXT is 32.88.

Edit - Never mind seems the one I opened was different then the other three / others fit perfectly / I will need to go to tractor store to get an insert for the shock eyelet bushing the are pretty big and even the lower bolt which is pretty big has slop in it . Looks like the first shock has been miss labeled
keep in mind..... bolts I think are different sizes. iffff I recall right it was like top and bottom are different..... or it was rear axle vs front axle.... maybe both..

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
keep in mind..... bolts I think are different sizes. iffff I recall right it was like top and bottom are different..... or it was rear axle vs front axle.... maybe both..
Yes there is a different in size the top for all 4 are the same ( a smaller Bolt ) and bottoms are all the same , with that I went to a farm store and got some 8 lift arm bushings 1/1/8 to 7/8 reduction part number 228CO006TSC for the shock eyelets and these are fine for the lower bolt size , for the upper bolt I picked up 4 Lift arm bushings 7/8 to 5/8 reduction part number 228C002TSC these fit perfectly inside the other bushing and reduce it perfectly for the upper smaller bolt .

So I don't have a press so what I did was throw the larger bushings in the freezer over night then pressed them in with my vise I did notice they may need a trim as they are barley to large and caused one side of the shock rubber to bulged a little , however when I tightened it down it evened out " I know this because I took a shock apart and noticed the rubber evened out" The smaller bushings for the top bolts slide perfectly into the larger .

Shocks are in but haven't taken it out for a drive yet I will be doing it later today

So here is what ordered in total

4 Monroe Magnum 65456
8 Lift Arm bushings - 228CO006TSC, fitted into the 65456 eyelets
4 Lift Arm bushings - 228C002TSC inserted into the upper eyelets "inside the 228CO006TSC" for the 4 upper bolts