• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII 1/4 ton trailer

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Well it turns out the trailer I bought yesterday is of WWII vintage. The floor is wavy, rusty, and full of holes at the front. Of course the tailgate has been butchered and the lunette is missing. So, it is a basket case like all my other junk... it should fit right in. pulls great and will over time (lots and lots of time) be put back right.

Attachments

AaronW

Good get! I am always on the lookout for one to ride behind a flatfender or the M38A1. too bad it's missing the data plates. Have you found any S/N's stamped in the frame?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is as nice as they come! MD Juan makes the floors and end panels, not very expensive. I would have bought that in a heartbeat!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, reminder to myself.... Never buy a house at the bottom of a hill, at the end of a road. All the Junk ends up there!:razz:

Those trailers are neat, I want one, but have no need for one(yet).

Srjeeper

BFR, check out 'The Bantam T3-C Page' and over on 'G503' in the 1/4 ton trailer section to find out exactly what you've got.

Nice find....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So how did you determine this was an MBT and not an M100? I know little about these trailers (other than I would like to have an A100 :roll:).

Here are some pics from last night (which some of you may have already seen).

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
So how did you determine this was an MBT and not an M100? I know little about these trailers (other than I would like to have an A100 :roll:).

Here are some pics from last night (which some of you may have already seen).
the mbt/t3 parking brake lever has that "button" instead of a "trigger" like the newer trailers, and the m100 had grab handles on all four corners (there is no signof them on this trailer.

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I am unsure it it is a willys or bantam (no data plates), but the axle is willys so I am leaning that direction.

Safety second, check ot the lugs
after doing a little more digging I have found the axle does not indicate Willys, so now I am thinking it was built by bantam.

Hammered

I am not an expert by any means but I believe the bantams had the rounded fenders like yours has, the Stevens has the boxier ones.

Just joined up guys... Howdy ;-)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
sometimes rednecks cancel each other out

May an anvil fall ftom the sky and land on the next guy who says "its just an old army trailer" as he fires up his welder.

The hard part of removing that monstrosity is over. I plan on leaving the extra cross brace until I have finished making up a bolt on lunette mount similar to what it had originally

Attachments

Last edited:

Pawnshop

She's a cutie, I picked up a M416 last month and have really fallen in love with the whole family of "jeep" trailers, have fun with the restoration and keep the photos coming!

paulfarber

The spring hangers have the three holes, that's the easiest tell for WWII trailers.

New wheels, tailgate, floor, drain plugs, hubs, lunette, landing gear.. thats about $1k in parts. Don't forget the safety chains, lights, harness, BO light switch, new fender, paint.... :(

The golden age of WWII trailers was about 5-10 years ago.. there were more good trailers out there than you could swing a stick at.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks