• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-door refinishing

kcobean

Ok, so I'm the proud owner of a beat-to-**** set of X doors. They need to be be refinished, bondo'd and and painted to match my truck. I'm trying to gather information about the refinishing process. Some areas are down to the gel-coat, but most surfaces are tan carc over green. Can anyone recommend what product to use to fill the divots where it's down to the Gel coat? I've heard that you shouldn't use bondo because of how it cures and adheres to FG vs. metal. Also, what material is recommended to paint with that will adhere to the carc for longevity?

medic2410p

I took mine to a friend that does body work to fill a hole and patch up a crack in mine. He used a fiberglass gel like material. Not the mat. I cannot tell where the repair was after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No if`s or but`s ....do not use bondo anywhere. Only thing to use is 2 pack epoxy ( like Westsystems ) and depending on the repair with or without the micro fillers. If you can`t get the correct primer for X doors then use a 2 pack primer system that is used in the boating industry.

911joeblow

Basically you are doing fibreglass repair and as such are using resin and depending on the level of damage matting might be needed too. Bondo is for metal repair on the cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks